High­ways Eng­land Interview Questions | Glassdoor

High­ways Eng­land Interview Questions

Interviews at High­ways Eng­land

2.7

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at High­ways Eng­land (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

Completely disorganised process. From the beginning this felt very impersonal, the interview was a mess and no useful information was available from anyone.

I had reservations about going to this interview beforehand having read other reviews, but from the minute I walked in I regretted turning up. It could not have been more impersonal and different from the interview that I had the following day at another organisation. It very much feels like an organisation with all the problems of a government department (terrible IT, poor processes, no idea why they needed the role) and the additional problems of being a company and feeling like they have to act faux-ruthless. My first action on walking out was to call a friend and tell him that there was no way I would work there.

Overall it felt like an interview designed to “hunt down the worse” about someone, rather than a conversation to assess the match between experience, approach and role.

In terms of whether I got an offer, I have no idea as they haven’t bothered to ring me yet - again, always a warning sign of a poor organisation. Fortunately the other organisation that I interviewed for offered me their role, which I accepted without even thinking about this lot.

Interview Questions

• The usual stuff. “Why here?” etc. Lots of emphasis on wanting to know about things that had failed. Watch Claude Littner interview on the Apprentice and you’ll get an idea.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at High­ways Eng­land in February 2013.

Interview

Very relaxed atmosphere, assessment centre (if you would call it that) has around 5-6 candidates.
    Face to face interview mainly based on competency questions - be prepared for a range of competency questions so practice
     2XRole-play scenario - this was unique where you will have to converse with an actor about a particular problem
    Brief questionnaire about yourself - this was relatively pointless

Head of Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Guildford, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at High­ways Eng­land (Guildford, England (UK)) in September 2018.

Interview

Treated worse than I’ve ever been treated at interview.

Lengthy process (two months from first call to interview). Time consuming (including the phone interviews, online tests and interview/assessment day I spent over two days on this in total) and ultimately I was unsuccessful. This of course would be fine had I not had to chase them for the result which, when it came was a generic email giving no indication as to why I wasn’t suitable.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared for them to tell you how they don’t actually need you before you start. Unusual opening.   Answer Question

Assistant Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at High­ways Eng­land (London, England (UK)) in February 2018.

Interview

Informal interview. I had doubts about the company and realised during interview they didn't want the best candidate but one they could afford to do the job at the lowest price. As I walked out they told me "that's was a great interview" a month later and heard nothing back. The HR email didn't reply when I asked if I they'd filled the role. Need to really improve your processes.

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at High­ways Eng­land.

Interview

Was invited to interview on a specific day through a computer generated email. Turned up for interview on the day (having re-checked my interview time with HQ the morning before). Checked in on arrival then waited one hour to be called and was told that there was not going to be enough time for an interview that day and that the staff had already left the building in order to travel back to Birmingham. I was sent home having wasted my afternoon. I was invited back for interview the following week. If that is how they treat candidates, heaven help their staff. What a shambles.

I declined to attend interview !

PMO Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boxworth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at High­ways Eng­land (Boxworth, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Very straight forward , got to the interview, however finding the location was difficult as it on a site in boxworth Cambridgeshire ..............good good good good good good good good good great.

Traffic Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at High­ways Eng­land (Warrington, North West England, England (UK)) in April 2018.

Interview

After online assessment and application, had a few online situation tests, then a telephone interview - all straight forward questions. Got invited to a final interview and role play but promised a reply in 3 weeks after 6 weeks chased it up to get a no! Think they want ex forces or retired police.

Interview Questions

• All competency based, tell me you did this, what did you learn, did you share your findings etc.   Answer Question

Traffic Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Mimms, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at High­ways Eng­land (South Mimms, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

The whole process took 6 months. Initial online application, online aptitude test, telephone Interview, Face to face Interview follwed by Role play exam. I passed all these and was offered a job. During the following months I constantly chased them for Information regarding a start date and training dates , which is 5 weeks away from home at Birmingham, Nottingham & Gloucestershire. This chasing from myself went on and on. Nobody could give me any information. In the meantime I was given a contract of employment to sign and return. Subsequently I was given a start date, details of training dates, hotel details, and attended a medical in Central London at my own expense. I was told that I could not claim back this expense, which in itself is outrageous. The medical report came back 100% pass and all was on course for starting on the scheduled date. To allow Myself to start on the date that Highways England requested, I gave my employer a months notice , which I served. This gave me time to prepare before starting my new career & of course being away from home and my family for the next 5 weeks. However I received a phone call a few days before I was due to start informing me that Highways England were withdrawing the offer! So as you can imagine, I was now unemployed , having resigned from a stable, well paid job, and had jumped through hoops for them to ensure that I could start on the correct date. So basically my advice to anybody considering working for this outfit is to be extremely careful. They are totally disorganised, dont communicate with you, are arrogant towards candidates, expect you bend over backwards at their every request and yet at 48 hours before starting, drop you from their plans. Totally unbelievable. This is after being given and signing a Contract of Employment, which you cannot do anything about. So In my opinion avoid getting involved at all costs and seek employment at more stable organisations.

Traffic Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in South Mimms, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at High­ways Eng­land (South Mimms, England (UK)) in March 2018.

Interview

I completed an online application on 22/2/18 followed by Situational Test on the same day, 2 days later I completed the telephone interview. The final part of the process took place 1 week later at their Assessment Centre where I took part in Role Play followed by a formal interview. The job offer came some 4 weeks later so from start to finish was just over 4 weeks which I found perfectly acceptable. I found the staff at the Assessment Centre polite and felt very much at ease and I’m very much looking forward to a new career with Highways England.

Interview Questions

• Questions revolved around career and life experiences.   1 Answer

Graduate Trainee Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at High­ways Eng­land (Birmingham, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

Completed the application through Milkround. Invited to a video interview and then face to face interview which wasnt too difficult. Got offered the job two days after the face to face interview