Hiscox Underwriter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hiscox Underwriter Interview Questions

Interviews at Hiscox

3.3

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hiscox (London, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

First of all, the interview experience was definitely very positive. The Hiscox employees I met were all extremely friendly and welcoming. The atmosphere was brilliant as well, with the candidates being given a chance to walk around the top floor of the Hiscox building, looking at a number of (rare!) artworks that they collect, including a couple of Damian Hurst's pieces, so that was excellent.

The interview itself comprised of a 'meet and greet' session at the beginning, where you met and talked to various Hiscox employees for 3 minutes each without mentioning your degree.

There was then a group exercise, which involved planning a film premier for charity. 45 minutes, but didn't actually have to present it at the end.

There was then the actual interview. These were 2:1 and quite tough, though speaking to other candidates, not all of them were so bad. It seems to depend on who you get. The questions were fairly standard, but they focused a lot of my sales experience (or lack of!) which I wasn't really expecting. Other than that there was one 'technical' question about the risk factors involved in insuring a ship. They said however that they weren't looking for a technical answer, just 'how' you answered. A couple of other candidates got slightly more numerical questions which I'm glad I avoided.

After that there was a lunch during which they decided on who was staying and going. Sadly most of us went, including me so I can't really give much insight into the final interview stage which apparently is an individual presentation to a panel.

Interview Questions

• What factors should you consider when insuring a cargo ship>   Answer Question
  • If you had a good, longstanding relationship with a broker, but he wants you to insure something (a ship, heading for a port with seriously bad weather) no other underwriter will touch, what do you do?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Hiscox

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lyon (France)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Hiscox (Lyon (France)) in November 2018.

Interview

5 appointements with lot of questions/ english test/ IQ test
    Recruiter
    Manager
    HR
    Broker network director
    Managing Director
    then it was done
    long process but very precise and it was to be sure that i will fit with the expectation of the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe how an Insurance Company works? What is a combined ratio?   1 Answer

See What Hiscox Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Current Content Writer in New York, NY

Pros: “There's a lot of emphasis on employee development. This company is going places and they know they need good people to help them get there. Plenty of opportunity to grow and even...”“There's a lot of emphasis on employee development. This company is going places and they know they need good people to help them get there. Plenty of opportunity to grow and even change departments if you want. Even entry-level employees are given as much responsibility as they want/can handle, and everyone is encouraged to think outside the box.” – Full Review