Hitachi Consulting Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 10, 2018

2.9

260 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Core Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Hitachi Consulting.

Interview

The process was a bit rushed and not well organized. Everyone I talked with at Hitachi was very kind and engaging. I appreciated the amount that they cared for their applicants. However I think better organization could help to provide a better experience for all.

Interview Questions

• You and I are going to set up a valet service for a downtown hotel in Seattle. Walk me through your process.   Answer Question

Consulting Core Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hitachi Consulting.

Interview

It was a very in depth process. I had 2 on campus interviews and 2 in office interviews. As well as a case study, a large group exercise, and a dinner with the office and other interviewees.

Consultant Interview

Interview

1. Two one-on-one interviews with a manager and a VP on campus
    2. Thursday dinner
    3. Friday all-day interview :
    An overview about the company and Q&A
    Three one-on-one interviews and each took about 30-40 mins
    Lunch with more employees (different from above)
    Case study with 5 or 6 candidates and a 5-min presentation

Interview Questions

• Team wok; three achievements; technical questions within your field; your failure; example of how you overcome difficulties; communication with non-native speakers..   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi Consulting (Seattle, WA) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied through University Recruiting. The overall theme in this whole process is that the office is very involved. I must have interacted with at least 25 employees during the entire office, but there are many more than that involved. They want you to have good answers to "Why Hitachi" and "Why Consulting." The process moves extremely quickly compared to other places I've interviewed with.

Stage 1 - Info session at school. Attended by VP of local office, a few alumni/new hires.
    Stage 2 - On campus interview, either 1 or 2 interviews that are 45 minutes long. Depends on what your school and Hitachi decide on. The goal of this interview is to determine if you can articulate why you want to be a consultant, and why specifically at Hitachi. They leave at least 15 minutes for questions at the end, so come prepared to ask and talk for at least that long.

Stage 3 - Final Round, On Campus
    This is a two-day event generally. The way it runs may depend on the office.
    Day 1 - Started in the afternoon with a group case. We did not get to see the case before, and it was a generic HBR case focused on understanding how you work in teams and how you think. Other offices do this part different, with some giving the case before you arrive. Either way your group must provide at least 1 solution (2-3 preferred), and you will be asked questions. It is important not to always agree with the questioner, pushing back is fine if it is supported by evidence.

After the case there's happy hour with recruiters and staff. This is where you can mingle with employees. If some approach you out of the blue, there's a strong chance that you'll be interviewing with them the next day.

Day 2 - Interview + Meal
    This consists of 3 interviews that are 45 minutes long. It includes 1-2 behavioral interviews, and a "technical" interview. If you're from a tech background expect tech questions, and if not, it'll be more case-like.

At some point, you and a group of interviewees and a group of Hitachi employees will go out for lunch/dinner.

Interview Questions

• Why consulting?   Answer Question
    • Walk me through your resume   1 Answer
    • Why Hitachi?   Answer Question
    • What are some things about being a consultant that will challenge you, and what are some things that you will never like?   1 Answer
    • Pick three of your accomplishments and talk me through them   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deliver negative feedback   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with a group member who didn't perform   Answer Question
    • Other standard behaviorals   Answer Question

Negotiation

Starting salaries are pretty non-negotiable. They give you a very short time to consider the offer. If you don't accept after a few days, you may start getting calls from people you interviewed with expressing how excited they are to have you on the team.

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi Consulting (Denver, CO) in November 2017.

Interview

Did on-campus interviews, then went to a networking event, and a final on-site interview. Pretty easy overall, friendly people on site. HR team in a different state did not seem friendly, but it was a week before the holiday season.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi Consulting (Waltham, MA).

Interview

I had a non-technical phone interview first. Then a few days later, they offered me an onsite interview which consists 5 one on one interviews at different offices. I spend about half an hour on each one of those interviews.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Hitachi Consulting.

Interview

4-6 rounds of interviews with consultants and HR members then a team case study. Questions are primarily focused around your resume and relevant experience. The team case study is important to let yourself stand out while interviewees take notes on how you perform and interact with the team.

Interview Questions

• The case was regarding a merger between two companies with the question focusing on what steps you would recommend to the company for a swift integration with various facts, stats and descriptions of department roles given to you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hitachi Consulting (Dallas, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

After a phone interview I got advanced to an in office interview. Sat in a room and 3 separate interviewers came to me. Each lasted 45 minutes. I think because it was based off of an employee referral, it was very relaxed. No case interview.

I think I was expecting something more rigorous and they said I came off nervous and that I should come back and interview with the campus recruits.

Interview Questions

• Three greatest accomplishments and how you got there. Examples of leadership.   Answer Question

Core Consultant Interview

Interview

First round will be a phone screening process with Hr. Next round is an in-person interview with 2 managers and Vice-President. Questions asked were primarily how you handled various tasks and projects.

Negative experience because if you're going to have 3 different heads of leadership interview candidates, they should really all be on the same page with each other; two were emphasizing a lot on work/life balance and how your work experience can be utilized in this position. The other manager spoke heavily about there being no work/life balance and questioned what value someone would have if their experiences don't stem from the tech sector.

Sales Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hitachi Consulting in August 2017.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me via email about their company and that there were several openings. No detail was provided beyond a basic title in the solicitation. I researched the company online and it appeared to be well regarded in their industry. Therefore, I responded to the recruiter that I would like to learn more. The recruiter no-showed the first interview. She contacted me a day later and apologized and rescheduled the interview. She was 20 minutes late to this interview. Despite asking me no questions, she spent the first 5 minutes telling me how I had a great background. She then proceeded to ask me which position I was most interested in. I responded that she hadn't yet told me about any of them and I asked if she could provide more detail. Fast forwarding ...she was not able to provide anything tangible about the roles nor did she really ask me any questions about my background. She left the interview with the promise that she would send me the job descriptions, along with an application. She also asked that I respond to her email with availability to talk with the hiring manager. Guess what...the email never came....

Interview Questions

• Which of the openings do you prefer?   1 Answer