Hitachi Data Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 21, 2017

2.7

Software Engineer IoT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter on linkedin and he set up a interview call with the manager of IoT and Lumada team.
    Interview was quick, really basic programming questions and I nailed all of them, a little walk through of my resume and interesting projects. Gave me time to ask questions and after 2 days recruiter got back to me and said they are not moving forward with my application. I was really shocked as I nailed all the questions. May be not the right fit. But I didn't get a reason why I was rejected.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems in May 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a staffing agency since they found my profile a good fit for the role at HDS. I had an initial phone screen with one person who asked me simple technical questions along with the Big-O notation for small programs. I was invited for an on-site interview. There were 5 rounds, out of which 3 were technical. The interviews went really well from my side. However, after the interview, the staffing agency contacted me to tell me that HDS is not moving forward with my profile since I did not have knowledge of one particular programming language. I was baffled. The people at HDS assured me that they were not looking for a particular language skill, so this response was unexpected.

Interview Questions

• A System design question (tinyurl), hashmap design and a question related to sorting an array.   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Waltham, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

Some staffing company contacted me about this position (I don't know why such big company relies on staffing company for hiring)
    I checked on HDS official website but this position wasn't listed.
    I interacted with 5 different people, all of them asked for whiteboard coding test, question were relatively simple but the attitude of the people wasn't good as if they don't need people but people need them.
    On the day of interview, they said that it's a contract to hire position, first 6-12 months we will keep you on contract and if you perform better then we may offer you a full-time role and initially you will be put on automation for 6-12 months then you can switch after that.
    I wouldn't recommend this company to one who is starting his career.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Bellevue, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me and arranged a phone screen, the process took a week. Unfortunately I was not prepared enough for that interview so I did not make it past the phone screen.

Interview Questions

• Find the successor of a given key in a binary search tree   Answer Question

Software Engineer Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Bellevue, WA) in February 2017.

Interview

Round-1: Behavioral round - Met with a director who gave an overview of Hitachi and work team was doing, roadmap etc. Asked about my background and what I am looking for etc. Nice chap.
    Round 2 to 4 - Technical.

I received the offer from the recruiter I was working with the next day. He scheduled a phone call with HDS HR person who went through benefits, asking about compensation expectation etc and reached out with an offer next day.

Compensation was generous and more than what I expected from Hitachi, but rejecting it.

Interview Questions

• Searching existence of given prefix in a very huge file, should make it as fast as possible with as less memory as possible. Was trying to see if I knew Tries and asked to implement and explain how it works.   1 Answer
    • Simple array based question. Figure out minimum number of flips/changes you would have to do to convert from given form to certain other form.   Answer Question
    • System design.   1 Answer

Technical Support Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems.

Interview

I have not been interviewed from the company when I joined. Because I was transferred from another affiliated company to the company because of contract between the company and original company.

Interview Questions

• No interview because I was transferred from another affiliated company because of contract between the companies.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Waltham, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

**Very messy and haphazard-- All you can get is FRUSTRATION**
    JUST 1 QUESTION- WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE THE PROFILE YOU'RE INTERVIEWING FOR, AFTER CALLING THE CANDIDATE ONSITE.
    The recruiter contacted me through Linkedin, I talked to him for 15-20 minutes about what the company does and what role I'm interviewing for(I was told I'll be joining the development team).
    I talked with hiring manager on phone again for 2nd round. Then I was called on-site for an interview. During my first round, I was told I'm interviewing for "Automation role" and not "development role". Since I was not looking for an automation role, I had this on my mind during all the successive rounds and did not do well.

Very last interviewer was very rude..!! He did not care for any courtesy and dismissed me very rudely.

I spent almost $100 during my trip to their campus and they refused to reimburse it. This is highly non-professional and damaging.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Denver, CO) in January 2017.

Interview

An external recruiter contacted me for this position. The first round is phone interview with the Chief Architect. We talked about what they are doing (they will build a new team and start from scratch in IoT area) and my background and experience. We talked very well and the Architect liked my idea and experience very much and invited me to the on-site interview. The recruiter told me they will not be available in a month, so we scheduled the on-site interview after a month. The onsite interview is with the chief architect and another senior engineer and the director. The architect and the senior engineer is pretty easy-going and friendly. But the director is pretty arrogant (he is new and joined the company just 2 months ago). The weird thing is that he looks not very arrogant to other 2 people (the chief architect and the senior engineer are old employee). Two white boarding questions and I figured them out and the chief architect looked satisfied. I thought I should get the offer pretty soon but hesitate if I would like to work with that director.

After 3 days, the recruiter told me the director wants one more phone interview. It is a little weird that why he cannot ask all questions during the on-site interview. He called me and asked me some more behavior questions. I thought that should be the last step but he said there will be another round of phone interview with another director. He told me that will be the last step and less than 30 minutes and no technical questions.

I got the call another day and I was asked if I would like to talk more than 30 minutes... I scheduled an appointment because they told me the process will be less than 30 minutes. But I had no choice and said that is ok. He asked me again about my background and experience and I really don't have any good emotion to talk. He asked me the technical question AGAIN although they said no technical question. I had an idea about that question but I didn't like to tell them the answer. They don't deserve that because they are not honest and keep their promise. I really don't want to work in a company with such culture. So I didn't behave very well on purpose and certainly I didn't get the offer. Lucky!

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you disagreed with your manager.   Answer Question

Software QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (New York, NY).

Interview

I sent my resume to someone who passed it off to the hiring manager. Within a week I was given a date to come in for a interview at the Santa Clara location.

It consisted of three 2 on 1 interivews an numerous other interviews lasting over 3.5 hours or so.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Santa Clara, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

This was phone screen. He started with my resume and went in details of everything on my resume. And one coding question. The interviewer was very nice and helping when I was struck with the algorithm coding question.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of non negative integers. Give multiplication of all the numbers in the array except itself.   Answer Question