Hitachi Data Systems Interview Questions in Waltham, MA | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 22, 2017

2.8

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Waltham, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

Some staffing company contacted me about this position (I don't know why such big company relies on staffing company for hiring)
    I checked on HDS official website but this position wasn't listed.
    I interacted with 5 different people, all of them asked for whiteboard coding test, question were relatively simple but the attitude of the people wasn't good as if they don't need people but people need them.
    On the day of interview, they said that it's a contract to hire position, first 6-12 months we will keep you on contract and if you perform better then we may offer you a full-time role and initially you will be put on automation for 6-12 months then you can switch after that.
    I wouldn't recommend this company to one who is starting his career.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Waltham, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

**Very messy and haphazard-- All you can get is FRUSTRATION**
    JUST 1 QUESTION- WHY WOULD YOU CHANGE THE PROFILE YOU'RE INTERVIEWING FOR, AFTER CALLING THE CANDIDATE ONSITE.
    The recruiter contacted me through Linkedin, I talked to him for 15-20 minutes about what the company does and what role I'm interviewing for(I was told I'll be joining the development team).
    I talked with hiring manager on phone again for 2nd round. Then I was called on-site for an interview. During my first round, I was told I'm interviewing for "Automation role" and not "development role". Since I was not looking for an automation role, I had this on my mind during all the successive rounds and did not do well.

Very last interviewer was very rude..!! He did not care for any courtesy and dismissed me very rudely.

I spent almost $100 during my trip to their campus and they refused to reimburse it. This is highly non-professional and damaging.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Waltham, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process is fast but the people taking the interview have no idea what they are talking about. There was screening with HR which was just to know about my past and experience and then he set me up for a phone interview a few days later. The phone screening was fairly easy and it was with a senior software engineer and he concentrated on the fundamentals of object oriented programming. I got an email within 20 minutes for onsite interview.

The onsite interview had 5 rounds. The first round was with a manager, who explained me this history of their company and how things work and it was interesting. The second round was with a software engineer who asked me a lot of questions all based on my resume, from java to lucene, solr, database, multithreading and I answered all of them. Then he made me do 2 white board questions which I solved too. he was well satisfied. Then the next guy was the one who took my phone interview, he asked me different white boarding questions and also some testing questions, then multithreading questions and I answered all of them. He told me he has 7 minutes left and he has asked me all the questions he can think of and I also answered bonus questions so Its all good. The next person talked to me about java and told me to implement a linked hashmap, which I did. The next person talked to me on a problem from hackerrank and asked me diffferent questions on how I will solve it. He asked me questions about multithreaading, recursion, data structures, solr, java reflection, and everything he could think of and I answered all of them and he also told me I am in the bonus round.

After 2 days the HR guy told me that they arent extending an offer, and he doesnt know what the reason is. So if you tell the interviewee that he is in bonus round in every interview and even then you cant extend an offer, what is the point of the interview? In every interview, there wasnt even a single question, I couldnt answer and I used the best data structure and time cmplexity there could be, they told me that themselves.They dont know how to judge a candidate or maybe they dont know what they want, anyways in the end I got an offer for a better company and much better salary so its all good. best of luck to them and their unstructured process.

Interview Questions

• Calculate the number oof files in the folder and sub folders   1 Answer
    • Implement linked hash map   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Waltham, MA).

Interview

Streamlined and efficient process. Phone screen with recruiter/HR, technical phone screen (about thirty minutes), face to face interview (half a day affair), followed by offer or no offer. Communication is pretty good throughout and response time after phone screen and in person interview is fast.

Interview Questions

• Standard development and problem solving questions   1 Answer

Quality Assurance - Automation Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Waltham, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter,had an initial phone screen lasting 30 minutes.The phone screen was to get to know the candidate,past projects and basic java questions were asked.Then,i was invited to onsite interviews.there were 3 rounds.

Interview Questions

• phone screen - questions on java,operating systems,SQL and past projects

onsite interview - 1 behavioral round where they discuss about the company and allow you to ask questions to see your enthusiasm.

coding interview - typical whiteboard coding

technical interview - questions on java
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Waltham, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

Submitted the application in April 2016. Had a phone interview in a week. It was about 45 mins. Discussed some of the projects on my resume. Asked some technical questions: "what's finally", "how to convert integer to binary"... Got the interview after two weeks.

Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Waltham, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

first recruiter contacted me, and then 2 phone interview asking simple data structures like list, hashmap, and one week later, did the onsite with 5 rounds, first person introduce products, then ask resume, they focus on personality a lot.

Interview Questions

• ask fibonacci, reverse string, hashmap, not hard questions.   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Waltham, MA) in September 2015.

Interview

interview with 2 to 3 telephonic first and 5 in person on one day before the offer. the inperson was 5 hours. some of the people interved me don't have clear perspective about what to ask and where to go

Solutions Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hitachi Data Systems (Waltham, MA) in May 2010.

Interview

A incredibly detailed interviews from all aspects of engineering organization. Solution architecture group reports to engineering. I've met with rank and file engineers and high level managers. Day interviews, night interviews, group interviews, lunch interviews, all of them. The culture is great within engineering, but apparently engineering is quite disconnected from other organization.

Interview Questions

• Question about details about storage area network deployments and backup implementation at customer sites.   1 Answer

Very difficult to succeed in a sales job when such disconnect exits between sales and marketing and my technical sales-oriented job.