Hitachi Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 30, 2017

2 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hitachi (Denver, CO) in April 2017.

Interview

I was interviewing with Hitachi insight group in Denver Colorado for the role of senior software engineer on a small team that would form the basis of the IoT group in Colorado.

The interview was a four step process.
1) Phone screen with discussion of resume and experience.
2) Technical phone screen with online problem solving.
3) On site interview with team leads. Involved whiteboard technical problem solving.
4) Phone screen with director of engineering.

Steps 1-3 went great, I really enjoyed the interviews and the people. They were intelligent and engaging .

Then I was forwarded to the director of engineering for final sign off (step 4). This was a phone screen and a special case for the initial small Denver team. Past the first 7 hires the director would not be involved in the interview process.

It was a really strange call from the beginning. He asked how much Java programming I was doing and I answered that I was certified in Java and had written many apps, including Android apps in Java but hadn't had the opportunity to use it as a primary language in my current role. This was the same answer I gave to the team leads earlier who indicated that although Java was their primary language, it was totally not a problem that it wasn't my strongest language.

Past that point the interview was basically over. The director suggested that I did not know how to write code and even brought up the movie Arrival as an example that if I were to start writing solely in Java now, it would take many years before I could think in Java. In the movie, he explained, aliens taught people their language and it allowed them to travel in time, much the same way writing in Java teaches you to write OO code. He then stated that I would have a very hard time learning to do something new and that I wouldn't like it. So, it was one of the strangest interviews I've had, but I was happy not to receive an offer given the level of hard ignorance that would have been my second line management.

Interview Questions

• This is the only one I remember: From the unix command prompt find all files in subfolders from your current directory that could contain dates in the format yyyy-mm-dd   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Hitachi

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hitachi in January 2008.

Interview

I had given phone interview followed by in-person interview

Interview Questions

• Describe Fibonacci sequence and how to implement without recursion logic   Answer Question