Hobby Lobby Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 23, 2017

2.2

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

You walk in and there is a math test which wasn't told to us before hand because it's a hiring event of 200+ people atleast. Which makes no sense because the registers and calculators if the register malfunctions you can use to calculate how much 7 1/2 sales tax is. You have to get minimum 8 right. You wait in line for the interview, 30 minutes atleast then you go up shake their hand introduce yourself and sit down then they grade the test. 20-30 seconds later I failed by one question and was told sorry and to leave.

Co-Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abilene, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Abilene, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, and I was called back a few days later to do a phone interview. That went really well! Then I had to do a reference survey with 10 people. After that I had a VERY extensive assessment test, 5 pages long. Once this was approved, I was contacted to do a face to face interview. I have done a lot of interviews as a hiring manager myself, and I have never had an experience where an interviewer downplays his company to discourage you from being interested. He mentioned long hours, lack of technology, physical work, no home life or work balance. Normally I would think you play up the strengths of your company, but the focus I felt was more on the downside. Despite this, the interview went great until we went over the assessment scores in which the interviewer said I did great on the interview, but failed the assessment. He went on to say that there must be something wrong with me because others did better on the test than I did. To me, I felt he insinuated I was stupid and it was a humiliating experience. If I didn't do well on the assessment, why even call me in for the interview? I understand the importance of the testing, but I think it's very unprofessional to insult an applicant. As a customer I really enjoy shopping in their stores, but I have to say I was left very discouraged by this experience.

Interview Questions

• Working long hours is part of what we do. Can you work 60 to 80 hours a week and still have a balanced home and work life?   1 Answer

SALES CLERK Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby in January 2010.

Interview

They said that the summer was the "dead season" for the store, even though they had applications out front with a sign saying they were going to hire. I filled out an application and never heard anything back. Apparently the winter months are the best times to apply for this store.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Dallas, TX) in October 2009.

Interview

Interviewer said he had many applicants ,immediately berated my experience and said he was eliminating the extra applicants .... the entire four minute process uncomfortable due to his advesarial approach.
    My opinion of the company changed immediately from favorable to very unfavorable- if you treat people poorly before they go to work for you..why would things change after you were hired?

Interview Questions

• What kind of hours did you work?   1 Answer

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK).

Interview

First interview is a phone interview followed by a skills test. Be prepared to spend time on the design challange. Questions were thorough and you could say that some of them were difficult.

Interview Questions

• What can you tell us about Hobby Lobby?   1 Answer

Co Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby.

Interview

Phone interview, then online assessment that consisted of self ratings, logical thinking, problem solving, etc.

If you pass that, then next
    step are references via a 3rd party site.

Next step is then a 1 on 1 in person interview with recruiter.

Next step is meeting and walk with a store mgr. Evaluation forms to be submitted and then a job offer can happen.

Interview Questions

• Know your greatest accomplishments in all areas of work history. Be prepared to dissect these and explain who, what, when, where, why, etc. Including what could have been better, obstacles, feedback, what you learned, etc.   Answer Question
    • Relocation is a demand. Don't waste your time or theirs if you won't relocate going into as co-mgr. The job posting location doesn't mean that's where you will work.   Answer Question

Co-Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Columbus, OH) in June 2016.

Interview

Very detailed. Two interviews (first one with recruiter 3 hours+). Plus self-assessment. Plus email to business and personal contacts. Just want to make sure they are hiring the right candidate.

Interview Questions

• Previous work responsibilities.   1 Answer

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Tucson, AZ) in August 2015.

Interview

When I went to drop off my application, I asked for the manager, shook his hand, and gave it to him personally. I was called in for an interview a week or so later. This interview went relatively well but took about an hour because they require you to do math. If you pass the math portion and the assistant manager thinks you'll be an okay candidate, you go on to phase three. Phase three of the interview process includes another interview. This interview is with the official store manager and goes by a little faster than the previous one. I was hired about a week after the last interview.

Interview Questions

• Math questions, personal questions, work experience, etc.   1 Answer

Cagero Man Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Charlotte, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

Interview took two hours and had to drive 2 hours for the interview. Felt like the HR representative interviewed me so her supervisor could observe her ability. They went into detail about company. Took me on an extensive walk through of store. Her supervisor was making notes on her which made for an uncomfortable situation. She also corrected her at times.

Interview Questions

• What was the hardest part of my previous job.   1 Answer
    • Why are you looking for a new position?   1 Answer

Co Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Madison, WI) in February 2013.

Interview

7 day process...intense one on one interview with hr. Background check and drug test. A very intense one on one interview with HR. The interview lasted more that 3.5 hours! You might not get the place you want to go. They are looking for you to relocate when you get promoted. I guess that is good but do not sign any lease longer than 6 months!!

Interview Questions

• How to handle certain situations. What type of manager are you? Hands on or office type?   Answer Question