Hobby Lobby Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 12, 2017

2.2

Seasonal Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Orlando, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

Process was very casual and relaxed. Lasted about 45 minutes. They did have you take a basic math test at end with no calculator. Less than 20 questions though and basic math skills. Seasonal help, no set hours and need to be flexible and available days, nights and Saturdays but that's typical for seasonal help.

Interview Questions

• Asked if you knew anything about the company, what hours you were available, what your strengths and weaknesses are, etc.   Answer Question

Stocker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Lexington-Fayette, KY) in November 2016.

Interview

Very basic questions. If he liked you, he hired you. They want to know you are there to work and not play. they want you to be dedicated hard working, non judgemental.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Baton Rouge, LA) in November 2016.

Interview

The hiring and interview process went smoothly. The manager that hired me was very friendly and made me feel welcomed. The pay rate is average, more than minimum wage so I could work with that.

Interview Questions

• What made you interested in applying for hobby lobby? How were you referred to this position? What makes you qualified for this position? Is this salary ok with you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beaumont, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Beaumont, TX).

Interview

Manager called me at home to come in and sit with her and the co-manager. I met with them and just had a casual conversation about my resume. We discussed my career change from the medical field to retail. They both went over what working there entailed and asked if I could do it. They were impressed our conversation.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work there?
      What kinds of experiences did I have in retail?   1 Answer

Part Time Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby in September 2016.

Interview

(College student) First I will mention, make sure you are dedicated to working hard and not looking for a slack off job, because of the high pay (10.23 PT and 15 something FullT.) they are very picky on who they will want to hire. Anyways.... I saw a sign on the doors that said they were hiring part time cashiers, went in and asked for an application. It was a paper application. Turned it in the next day. Got a call about a week later. Interview questions were the same questions you will always get asked during an interview. After some questions he would explain what they are looking for and whatnot. One of the questions was what I know about Hobby Lobby.after he said that the answer he always gets is that it is a Christian company. I did not mention that it was a Christian Company. I knew that it was, but didn't really feel that it had to be said just because that's what EVERYONE knows. So I wanted to say stuff that others may not say as much. Took a math test of 16 questions. basic multiplication, subtraction, addition. There were also percentage/tax questions. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO WORK WITH DECIMALS WHEN MULTIPLYING. I haven't done that kind of math by hand in so long it took me a while to remember the rules with decimals. With hours,they said it will be 20 - 25 hours. Not bad. And they were willing to work with my school schedule, especially when finals comes along.

Interview Questions

• Why Hobby Lobby?   1 Answer
    • What is good attendance to you?   1 Answer
    • One thing you like about your last job?   1 Answer
    • Since you did freight at your last job, how did that go? (so did things come in boxes? unload truck or not? etc.)   1 Answer
    • What do you know about Hobby Lobby?   1 Answer

Full Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Greenville, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Hobby Lobby conducted a 3-day hiring event at a local hotel in Greenville, TX. They interviewed for 40 positions. My number was 996. All of the interviewers were pleasant enough, although weary. The process was time consuming but fairly typical, except for a few points that fall into a gray area. 1) To be considered for an interview, applicants must sign a legal binding arbitration agreement, printed in the smallest font available. Then must sign two more times confirming that you read, understood & signed the first legal jargoned agreement.
    2) Religion is a very good thing, but not in the workplace. That might be awesome for some people, but my relationship with God is mine, not my employers.
    I do like Hobby Lobby & enjoy shopping there. Their interview process, however, changed my perception of their inner workings. Obviously, Hobby Lobby takes care of business, but I question how they take care of their employees.

Interview Questions

• What was your greatest accomplishment?   1 Answer

Stockman Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby in October 2016.

Interview

It was very quick. I walked in and talked to a CSM to let them know I was there for an interview. The store manager met me at the front of the store and took me to a backroom. She asked some basic questions and then I was later called back for a math test.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little about yourself.   1 Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process was light and easy. My now boss called me about a week and a half after I applied for the job. I came in and we went over my application together. He asked what I would like to be paid hourly and wrote it down. I took a short math test to see how good I would be on the register and I passed with 100. The next week I started working on the register.

Interview Questions

• My now boss asked me what I would like to be paid hourly starting off, which was refreshing and surprising, and I could already tell that Hobby Lobby would accommodate my needs as much as possible.   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

It took two months, from August to October as I was early in submitting an application. I was called in October to come in for an interview a few days after the call.

Co-Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby in August 2016.

Interview

Only chose to go through phone interview. Initially I applied and was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone interview. The morning of the interview I receive an automatic email stating they regret to inform me they will not be offering me employment at this time. Confused I forwarded that to the recruiter. She said she had no idea how that got sent to me....
    After checking out all the glass door reviews I pulled out things I thought were exaggerated like working up to 80 hours, having to work an open to close shift at least once a week, no PTO until after a year, being forced to relocate or there is no hope for promotion. When it came my turn to ask questions I confessed that I had seen some things on Glassdoor and hoped she could clear them up. Every item I brought up she verified. 65-75 hour work week except for Black Friday through mid January then it's an 80 hour work week. You are expected to work 6 days a week if your DM thinks your store is in need of it. You get one week vacation after a year and only earn 4.25 hours of PTO for every 30 days you work (capping out at 80 hours). If you can not relocate you WILL NOT be able to move up. Store managers are expected to pack up their lives and move where ever they are needed. No surprise since they act like they own you.
    Starting rate for a co-manager is $55-$65k/year with a $2500- $4000 bonus.
    There are only 2 salaried managers in most stores and you rotate Friday off/Saturday 7a-10pm every other week with Friday 7a-10pm/Saturday off. That means at peak business days you are running the store alone.

Read the reviews of the people who worked here and you can actually believe them.... if you want to know what you're getting yourself in to it's all right there.

I sent an email withdrawing my name because I love my family too much to put a company ahead of them.

It may be for some but not for me...

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to relocate? What made you interested in working at Hobby Lobby? Tell me about your work history? How many hours are you scheduled to work and how many hours do you actually work? If you're scheduled to work 40 hours are you willing to stay if your store needs it?   Answer Question