Hobby Lobby Interview Questions in Oklahoma City, OK | Glassdoor

Hobby Lobby Interview Questions in Oklahoma City, OK

Updated Apr 3, 2017

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online. They emailed me a few days later asking for my availability for a phone interview (usually the first interview is in person, but they knew I lived over an hour away so they substituted it for a phone interview, which was very thoughtful of them). The phone interview was a very short and then we scheduled the technical interview which consisted of about 4 people, followed by another interview right after with the big boss.

I got my rejection letter about a week or so after the interview.
    Overall my experience was very good. They were prompt and friendly. Way better than the other companies I've dealt with. The fact that they rejected me so quickly makes me want to work for them even more. They don't just leave you hanging for weeks after the interview. They do things right.

Interview Questions

• What benefits does functional programming have over object oriented programming? (I don't think this is a normal question for them, but they knew I recently used functional programming and was a fan of it)   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edmond, OK

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Edmond, OK) in December 2016.

Interview

It was fast it was in an open atmosphere not in an office it was friendly it was skilled test it had a math test the interview was a at a hotel filled out forms waited for an interview at location

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK) in February 2016.

Interview

went to hiring event was at local nice Hotel a lot people were there took a application, and math test and filled out simple math sales tax, adding and subtract then they gave out a number to applicants then had to wait till my number was called long wait, the interview was just basic questions you would expect

Interview Questions

• what are your job skills in retail   1 Answer
    • how would I handle a difficult customer?   1 Answer

Craft Designer (Corporate) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK) in April 2015.

Interview

Let me start this by saying this is not my first rodeo. I have worked for a fortune 500 company, small mom-and-pop operations, an internet start-up, publicly traded companies, and modest 50-person companies. In my 12 years in the workforce, I have interviewed with roughly 10 companies - some of which extended me a job offer, and others that didn't.
    The interview process was both lengthy, slow, and frustrating. A lot was asked of me, the applicant- time, money, and stress.
    The application for the Craft Designer position called for 12-16 work samples, which I provided along with my resume. About a week after submitting my resume, I got an email from a recruiter who scheduled a screening call. She ask me to pick a time were I had 45 minutes of free time. During our call, I was asked a set of roughly 30 questions that pertained to my skills, work experience, personality, and preferences. Next, she explained to meet that the next step in the process would be for me to do an at home test project. The call took an hour and fifteen minutes.
    Fast forward to two weeks later, I drove to the corporate office to pick up the test project. I had exactly three days to complete it, and it included the following four projects: 1) decorate a picture frame, 2) make some jewelry, 3) embroidery a sample, and 4) create a banner. They provided me with all of the materials, although I was told to buy a hot glue gun, scissors and a pencil to use.
    After I completed and turned in the project, I got another email from the recruiter about a week later asking if I could come in for a first interview and on-site test project. She told me I would have a group interview with assistant managers, and complete a 2 hour project. I arrived, and was led into a room with the four assistant managers, and a recruiter who facilitated the interview. They had pinned my test projects to a board. The recruiter would read the questions from the four-page packet, and I would answer them. The questions were the same questions from my first screening call, plus a few more. The assistant managers added in questions of their own, too. They were all beyond kind and made me feel very comfortable. The interview took about two hours. When it was complete, I was lead to a desk that was equipped with materials and was told to do three projects. I was given exactly two hours, and was escorted out by an HR associate when I was finished. I followed up with each of the assistant managers by sending hand-written thank-you notes, thanking them for their time and for allowing me to learn more about the company.
    About a week later, I was contacted by the same recruiter, who scheduled a second interview with me scheduled two weeks later. She explained to me I would have another group interview, this time with the department managers, and then I would be given a tour of the facility. I drove to the office, and was lead into the same meeting room. Sitting around the table were three managers, another recruiter, and then the same recruiter who had facilitated the first interview. My on-site test projects were pinned to the board, along with my take-home projects from the first interview. The recruiter proceeded to ask me the same questions from the 4-5 page packet. This time, however, the managers seemed cold, spoke very little, made no eye contact, and seemed to be checking their watches for the majority of the interview. about 40 minutes into the interview, one of the managers said the group would have to leave soon for a prior engagement, so we would need to "wrap things up." The recruiter asked if they had any questions for me, and they did. And honestly, I felt as if they were grilling me. I totally understand that probing questions are just part of the interview process, but I kind of felt like I was being asked to defend myself, my work, and my work experience. I also felt as though the managers had made up their mind about me before I had even arrived to the interview.
    And because the meeting was cut short, I was never actually able to present to them my test-project. The managers left, and the kind recruiter apologized on their behalf for having to cut the interview short. Another recruiter met me at the door and led me on a 10 minute tour of the facility.

Interview Questions

• There was a packet of questions (yes, I did say packet) of about 4-5 pages. Each page had roughly 8-9 questions. I felt like I was being grilled, rather than interviewed. I wouldn't have minded it as much, but these same questions were asked in BOTH group interviews and the initial screening call. And while I appreciate their thoroughness, the job I was applying for was entry-level with a rather meek salary. I felt as though I was being vetted for a executive-level position.   Answer Question

Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK) in October 2014.

Interview

Very professional, accurate, affordable, punctual. Chord with the position. Nice ambient. The interview had two moments, first Human Resources and after manager of warehouse. The second interview was at practice.

Interview Questions

• I would like know more about you, your strong points and weakness.   1 Answer

Distribution Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK) in January 2014.

Interview

3 interviews
    Opinion based not scenario based there was not a lot of questions in a interview area, It was a lot of personality based questions.
    It was a fair process but as the company is growing they will have to up grade to a more professional scenario-situational based interview.

Inventory Control Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK) in March 2012.

Interview

The hiring process was straightforward. I filed out my info on their computer - resume, experience and all that. 2 days later, I got a call from the asking me to take the online test at their facility. I had a one on one interview soon after. Later that day, I was interviewed by one of the warehouse managers. Nothing technical. I passed. I then had a drug test and background check

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK) in July 2011.

Interview

Had to do some research to get contact names inside. Group interview was relaxed. Not too intimidating. Decision makers explained the types of projects that you would typically work on in their respective teams.

Interview Questions

• Asked about use of programs, reviewed portfolio and asked about specific projects, Was asked to do a color theory and design test.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not a lot of negotiation was needed. They were fair in their offer.

Copy Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK) in July 2010.

Interview

The interview process was good but working for the company has been awful and I have developed health problems from all the stress. They hire 1 person to do all the grunt work instead of assigning it to multiple people.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect in a company.   1 Answer
    • Do you like your current job.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I took the Hobby Lobby minium at the time of $12 and hour. I have since gotten a well earned raise.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hobby Lobby (Oklahoma City, OK) in May 2010.

Interview

Had me perform professional skills test before the interview which they did not share would be part of the process.

Interviewed in person at HQ and the HR General Council and his team were not prepared and acted like they never talk to each other.