Home Instead Senior Care Non-Medical Companion/Caregiver Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Home Instead Senior Care Non-Medical Companion/Caregiver Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

2.0

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Non-Medical Companion/Caregiver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Statesville, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Home Instead Senior Care (Statesville, NC) in December 2010.

Interview

I applied in the office during October and didn't hear anything. In December, I called and said I was still interested. In less than a week, they called me for an interview. The interview was talking with the owner while someone else worked at another desk. He asked the expected questions, but spent most of the time talking about himself and the company, but not giving any real information about what it would be like to work there. Even though he offered me the chance to ask my questions, he didn't answer them fully or allow me follow-up questions to what he said.

The office staff were friendly and everyone felt relaxed.

Less than a week after the interview, I received a call asking me to come to orientation in two days. There was no offer, simply, "Can you come to orientation on this day?" I arrived at orientation and the first thing was a drug test, but none of us were ready because we had expected to sit in meetings for at least an hour. Then the orientation lasted six hours and we were only paid for two because that was the length the orientation was supposed to be. The person who ran that orientation no longer works there.

While in orientation, we found out all kinds of things that we had no idea about while interviewing. A notable one is that there is to be no smoking, even if the client smokes. Another is that no matter how long the shift, you do not get a break (you can eat, but not even step outside).

A few months after orientation, we received a call saying we had to complete some training that week or be fired. Turns out the orientation coordinator forgot to give us this training. As I said, he no longer works there, but the end result was that the employees had to rearrange their lives at short notice because of it.

This lack of communication and last minute changes is typical of the daily work culture.

Interview Questions