Home Office Interview Questions in London, UK | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 1, 2017

3.2

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Panel based interview only. They asked the competencies that were required on the application. They were asked in the order of the application as well. If you practise beforehand, it's a relatively easy interview that gives you the chance to show yourself off.

Interview Questions

• I believe 3 of the competencies were Delivering At Pace, Leading and Communicating, Delivering a Quality Service.   1 Answer

Executive Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Croydon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Home Office (Croydon, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

You need to first fill in a application form. This has five different competency questions on it. You need to answer these based on the tips and hints that the candidate information pack gives you. Each answer is marked and the candidates with the highest marks proceed to the interview.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions are all about the competencies. You must have an example ready for each. The interviewers allowed me to have my notes to refer to - as long as I was not directly reading out of the notes.

I had prepared answers for the "Leading and Communicating" competency, and mainly focused giving an example on leadership. However, during the interview I found that they wanted to know more about how I communicated. So do prepare answers for both parts of the competency.

In addition, they also may ask how you supported someone else in making a decision. So have an answer prepared for this as well.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

There isn't much room for team work in the role, which you may want to consider when taking on this role.

Asylum Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Croydon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Home Office (Croydon, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

It took about 2 months to get an interview - but once arrived two people at the board panel didn't ask me why I applied for this role or any of my interests. No ice breaker questions but panel were extremely friendly. Whole interview process lasted around 30-45 mins.

Interview Questions

• they asked the same questions that were on the application. So look on the CS learning to see what score they rated your answer to the question and build from that if it was just satisfactory. Also at the end make sure you ask questions about the role, development and training. Also any other questions which you may find helpful like how long it will take to hear back.   Answer Question

Asylum Decision Caseworker and Operational Settlement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Croydon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Home Office (Croydon, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

It's full racism and whether the management likes you. The interview is biased as its done by the team leader who if they don't like you then you no way getting into the home office.

Interview Questions

• The same competency based questions as the application.   2 Answers

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

Friendly discussion on experience and core competencies covering employment in the Civil Service. 2-person interview panel comprising Hiring Manager and another senior manager from the area in which you will be working. Went into reasonable depth on CV and asked questions directly relevant to experience. Lasted approx one hour, conducted in a professional manner.

Interview Questions

• Use of different project management methodologies and examples where you employed them   Answer Question

Fast Stream Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)) in January 2012.

Interview

Compentency based application form and basic numeracy and verbal reasoning; economic assessment centre with short answer questions to test understanding of basic economics; a technical report about a contemporary issue in government (prepared) and a non-technical report describing concepts in plain English.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a situation when you have worked in a diverse team   Answer Question