Home Office Interview Questions in London, UK | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 6, 2017

3.3

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Executive Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online via the Civil Service Jobs website.
    Within two weeks I received a follow-up phone interview to go through my previous experience and CV, as well as to discuss the role and requirements in further detail.
    I then went through a further CV/application sift, and was informed roughly two weeks later that I had been invited to a final interview at the Home Office.

The final interview is as easy or difficult as you want it to be.

It takes place in front of a panel of three people (Hiring Manager, HR Representative, and an Independent Observer). The interview is almost entirely competency based, where your answers are expected to follow the STAR or CAR format. You will be provided with the exact competencies (from the Civil Service Framework) that they are looking for beforehand in order to prepare for the interview. My interview also included some questions on the specialism I had applied for, as it was a skilled/niche role.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you have had to make an effective decision in the interests of the business, despite it potentially being unpopular at first?   1 Answer

Executive Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Croydon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Home Office (Croydon, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

You need to first fill in a application form. This has five different competency questions on it. You need to answer these based on the tips and hints that the candidate information pack gives you. Each answer is marked and the candidates with the highest marks proceed to the interview.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions are all about the competencies. You must have an example ready for each. The interviewers allowed me to have my notes to refer to - as long as I was not directly reading out of the notes.

I had prepared answers for the "Leading and Communicating" competency, and mainly focused giving an example on leadership. However, during the interview I found that they wanted to know more about how I communicated. So do prepare answers for both parts of the competency.

In addition, they also may ask how you supported someone else in making a decision. So have an answer prepared for this as well.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There isn't much room for team work in the role, which you may want to consider when taking on this role.

Asylum Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Croydon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Home Office (Croydon, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

It took about 2 months to get an interview - but once arrived two people at the board panel didn't ask me why I applied for this role or any of my interests. No ice breaker questions but panel were extremely friendly. Whole interview process lasted around 30-45 mins.

Interview Questions

• they asked the same questions that were on the application. So look on the CS learning to see what score they rated your answer to the question and build from that if it was just satisfactory. Also at the end make sure you ask questions about the role, development and training. Also any other questions which you may find helpful like how long it will take to hear back.   Answer Question

Asylum Decision Caseworker and Operational Settlement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Croydon, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Home Office (Croydon, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

It's full racism and whether the management likes you. The interview is biased as its done by the team leader who if they don't like you then you no way getting into the home office.

Interview Questions

• The same competency based questions as the application.   2 Answers

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

Friendly discussion on experience and core competencies covering employment in the Civil Service. 2-person interview panel comprising Hiring Manager and another senior manager from the area in which you will be working. Went into reasonable depth on CV and asked questions directly relevant to experience. Lasted approx one hour, conducted in a professional manner.

Interview Questions

• Use of different project management methodologies and examples where you employed them   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)) in January 2014.

Interview

Applied internally for an IT role, interview consisted of 3 sets of questions.
    1) Technical set - covering basic questions to perform role and scenario based questions.
    2) ITIL based set - covering the main parts including Service Management.
    3) HR type set.

Interview Questions

• What does a System Administrator do? Describe a scenario where you played a significant role in completing a project?   Answer Question

Fast Stream Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Home Office (London, England (UK)) in January 2012.

Interview

Compentency based application form and basic numeracy and verbal reasoning; economic assessment centre with short answer questions to test understanding of basic economics; a technical report about a contemporary issue in government (prepared) and a non-technical report describing concepts in plain English.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a situation when you have worked in a diverse team   Answer Question