HomeAway Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.8

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

This was probably the most disorganized, disrespectful interview process I've ever been through. Start to finish, it took two and a half months. Two. And a half. Months. This included several lapses in communication from the recruiter, who would offer to schedule a phone call and then disappear for week, with me nagging every few days with "just checking in!" messages like a desperate and neglected date. We finally made it through the screening call, so there was another call with my hiring manager, who promptly forgot about it, leaving me anxiously looking at my phone and waiting for it to ring. Dude, people get NERVOUS FOR INTERVIEWS. They psych themselves up. They start staring at the phone ten minutes before the interview time. Every minute someone is late, the interviewee gets exponentially more nervous. MAYBE DON'T GHOST THEM.

More scheduling snafus ensure and I make it through THAT call, plus one more, and I'm then invited downtown for an in-person interview. The downtown interview is a four-hour affair, during which I'm interviewed in 30-minute blocks by different people from several departments. At least three of those people had no idea why they were interviewing me, so we just chit chatted. They were pretty cool. Between getting there and back, and the interview itself, I had to take the whole day off work.

After all that, it went to someone else. No big deal, right? Except when I thanked the recruiter and asked him if he'd feel comfortable sharing any feedback that I could grow from, he was like, "Honestly, it just went to someone with more experience. The person who got it had ten years of experience in blah blah blah plus five years of blah blah blah..." so that's not even in the same BALLPARK as my experience level (five years total) and I don't know, maybe they could have figured that one out before yanking me around for two and a half months. Good God, HomeAway. I wanted to love you. Just let me love you. WE COULD HAVE BEEN SO GOOD TOGETHER.

My one consolation is that driving home from their downtown office in 5:00 traffic made me want to stick a fork in my eye, so at least I won't be dealing with that. HomeAway still sounds like a great company to work for, but I wish they'd treat their applicants as well as they seem to treat their employees. If you have the patience and humbleness to get through their flaky process, then you deserve to work there. You probably deserve better than that.

Interview Questions

• Do you know why I'm interviewing you?   1 Answer

Chief of Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

Awesome. The recruiter was informative and responsive. The process all together only took 1 week. I had a phone interview with the recruiter, then scheduled an onsite day of interviews, and then received the results the next day. I had a chance onsite to get a sense of the culture and people. The questions were challenging and invigorating. I was treated with respect and dignity. Even if I didn't receive an offer, I would have walked away a promoter of the company, and been excited to use their services.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had too...   1 Answer

Cloud Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Four People interviewed me for 3hrs . Each interviewer was from different project. Two of them were Managers and two were developers. They were very kind and patient. HR gave me office tour later after the interview.

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview process was extremely smooth. I was referred internally so I was contacted by the recruitment team pretty quickly. I had an initial discussion with the hiring manager followed by a lunch interview with some of the technical leadership. I was then invited for an in-house interview where I further met five individuals at varying levels within the company.

Throughout the process, the interviewers were polite, attentive, ask through questions around the work I had done and gave me insight into what I could expect if I joined the team.

I also would like to point out the extreme efficiency and frequent communication that was maintained by the recruitment team through out the whole process. There was a genuine interest by the recruitment team to ensure that I succeed as part of interviewing with HomeAway as well as have a great experience. This was BY FAR the best interviewing process I have gone through.

PS: They have a wonderful office in Domain!

Interview Questions

• General management questions around what has been accomplished both technically and in terms of general management of the team. Be prepared to talk about your entire experience set with them   Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

You do an initial phone screen with the Talent Acquisition Manager. This is mainly focused on your experience, why you're looking, and Q&A regarding the company and the role. The Manager was friendly, clear in communication, and truly represented the company well.

After the phone screen, I was brought in house to meet with the rest of the recruiting team. I met with (5) people. Each person I met with was friendly, passionate for HA, and genuinely interested in learning more about me. In addition, I got a tour of the office---which is absolutely amazing. The culture at HA is collaborative, welcoming, and exciting.

If you get the opportunity to interview with HA--take it! I cannot say enough positive things about the HA team--keep up the great job!

Pros of HA
    -great culture and supportive team
    -talented team of Recruiters who are also easy to get along with
    -fast paced environment
    -excellent employee perks
    -tons of opportunities for professional growth

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth and comfortable. First you go through a phone screening interview that lasts about 30 minutes. Then there is an onsite interview, which I had with two managers.They ask standard questions but I would definitely recommend brushing up on browser troubleshooting.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe the difference between cache and cookies to someone who had no idea what they are.   1 Answer

Sales Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very thorough and extensive. I was contacted by a recruiter and did a phone screening with them. That was followed by 4 phone interviews (over the next 2 weeks) with the hiring manager, their manager, another team's manager, and the department director. Onsite interviews with team and manager followed by an offer. The whole process took over a month.

Interview Questions

• What are some of your core beliefs that pertain to your work life?   1 Answer

Negotiation

HomeAway has extremely competitive pay. To attract and retain top tier employees they typically pay above average for the Austin job market. I was very happy with my offer, as it was above the range I initially gave the recruiter.

Implementation Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

The whole experience took very long and had many errors. In the end, I denied the offer as the team was not very accommodating. The team should focus on being more organized, respecting candidates time, and having quicker response rate. They need to also be more flexible in hiring.

Senior Big Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

Two interviews over the phone(The first one is less Technical & more of the kind of technology I was working in the current organization and the second one is Technical...both are not back to back though)....after that followed by onsite interview with 3 of their team members each interview lasting about 30/40 minutes)

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions are related to the Technology I have worked on   Answer Question

Technical Support Representative Tier II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

Two part interview, first with two people, second with one person. The first interview is a get to know you/basic skills portion, the second interview is more in depth as to your technical knowledge. Each portion is 30 minutes and they are back to back.

Interview Questions

• Explain what an API is.
      What are the three email protocols and how does each one work.
      Describe the components of a high end computer.
      What is XML.