HomeAway Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HomeAway Interview Questions

Updated Feb 22, 2018

2.8

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

I had a 1st Phone Screen with the recruiter & 2nd with the hiring manager. Both conversations were great, general HR interview questions, positive experience.
    I was flown out a full interview loop consisting of 4 interviews with 2 people each. 50% of the questions were regarding the position, the other 50% were not even professional. A few of the interviewers did not take the process or my time seriously. Additionally, I was asked a total of 6 times (both phone screens and all 4 onsite interviews) "Why I wanted to work at HomeAway?"
    I was not presented an offer nor any feedback. If I had been presented an offer, I'm not confident I would have accepted as the environment seemed cliquey.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway in January 2018.

Interview

I’v finished two rounds of interview: one phone screen with HR and one tech interview with an engineer. They are professional and nice. The interviews went well but finally I got a phone call from hr and was told that I would be notified whether onsite interview will be offered at late February, which is over one month from the phone interviews.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in December 2017.

Interview

HomeAway recruiters made the process very efficient, smooth, and fast. I had a positive recruiter phone screen, 4 global stakeholder phone interviews, 9 face to face interviews, and an executive presentation over an afternoon.

Interview Questions

• Given real world business details of X, Y, and Z, please prepare a full presentation of how you would offer a comprehensive executable solution with implementation details and a timeline to rolling out your plan. Be prepared to give and take questions for this entire presentation.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

First there was a phone interview with a very nice lady. It was very causal and didn’t feel like a interview. Next was a face to face which was not so nice. There were two people, a man and a woman. They asked questions but never really smiled and acted human. I knew that I answered the questions well but wasn’t sure if I had got the job based on their attitude.

Senior Software Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

The interview process was great.
    Initially contacted by the recruiter and couple of phone interviews.
    One was coding session and other one was casual with general resume questions and discussion.

The onsite was 4 rounds and each round consisted of Datastructure/Algorithm question with some questions on the resume. The interview went great and I was contacted by the recruiter to inform that they are proceeding further with the offer.

After a couple of weeks of salary negotiation and talking to different teams, they finally said they could not make an offer due to the costs associated with Green card. I was really let down by that, since the company was aware of my immigration status right from the Day1 of the interview process. They could have saved me so much effort, travel and time I spent on the interview process, had they first figured out the costs and then interviewed me.

Interview Questions

• Standard Datastructure, algorithm questions. I would say medium hard leve from CTCI book.   Answer Question

Training and Development Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

I had a phone screening with the recruiter. She was very positive and seemed to think I was a good fit for the job. She then said the hiring manager (who had just gotten the job) would be review my resume and her review and then they would set up an interview if she thought I would be a good fit. I received an email the next day with interview an information for two days later with the hiring manager. I had an hour long interview with her and once again thought it went very well. I received a phone a call from the recruiter saying the manager did not think I could handle the work load very well.

Interview Questions

• How many projects did you work on at the same time at your previous position and how long did you have to complete them?   2 Answers

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway in November 2017.

Interview

Email requesting a short phone interview, that was booked out 2 weeks due to holidays.
    Phone interview went really well, felt like it was a good match.
    Was told they would report their notes to the hiring manager and if he/she liked what they read/heard I would be hearing from them by the next week sometime. Received an email stating they would like to move forward with the assignment portion and if I felt the same they would contact me with the details of the assignment. Needless to say I was going forward, after receiving the assignment via email and time frame in which they would like to have it back I felt really good. So far communication had been frequent and informative. I completed and turned in the extensive assignment in the allotted time and explained that I was looking forward to hearing back with any comments (quite excited). I waited another day or so and I sent an email thanking them for their time and enjoyed the opportunity and explained that I look forward to hearing from them(yay or nay). It is now almost two months later and have heard absolutely nothing from them. It's like being "Ghosted" by a company.. No reply emails with good or negative comments about the assignment, no communications what so ever after turning in the assignment. This is a hard pill to swallow after feeling all went well.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview consist of the normal questions about self and work history, and the type of person you are.   Answer Question

Administrative/Operations Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

The interview process was smooth. The recruiter was very easy to get in touch with and kept me informed of next steps in a timely manner. There was a phone interview and two in-person interviews. One with two of the Executive Assistants and one with the whole group. Most of the questions had to do with my prior experience and how that would translate to the position. The rest were situational questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you prioritize several big projects all due at the same time?   Answer Question

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

I apply online and it took like a week before i receive an invitation to do a hacker rank questions. But I was not able to go forward because number of applicants.

Interview Questions

• get the even number of a link list   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

Process was pretty much like others said. Mine was somewhat expedited because I was interviewing with another company at same time. Overall mixed experience. I always got the feeling that the company doesn't pay very well, but I played along. The interview process was mostly transparent but confusing at times. I was told some manager wanted to speak to me first on the phone (not an interview) to see if I'm a potential fit after the phone interview passed, but that got cancelled the next day.

On-site was more difficult than I thought but people were nice and seemed smart. The big shocker came at the end. I was offered the job the day after given "very positive feedback", only to be told two hours later that I didn't meet the bar for senior engineer, that I could only come on as a regular engineer. The pay would be quite far off from my last job, they basically expected me to say no so I declined the next day.

I think it has to do with the fact that they didn't think they could come close to my other offer, so someone higher up decided to save the trouble of having a manager meeting to find a team, getting it approved, etc.

Anyway, seems like a good company and the people there probably enjoy it. Just be aware that it may not be for you if you are a more established dev.

Interview Questions

• Algo/design/behavior/resume questions. Some are difficult and unlike the most typical asked   Answer Question