HomeAway Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HomeAway Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2017

2.8

Social Media Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

Very quick, straightforward, positive, and encouraging. First was given a task to somplete via email, then was screened by an HR representative. Was contacted shortly after by both supervisors of the role. The interview was over Skype due to my location at the time, but would have normally been held in person.

Interview Questions

• What is something you would like to gain from this role?   Answer Question
    • How much are you expecting to be paid?   Answer Question
    • Give us examples of how you would improve our Facebook/Instagram/Twitter profiles?   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

Recruiter did not call me the day of the interview, and waiting a week before calling me to schedule a phone interview. Told me that I would hear back the same day or after the weekend. I found out I was not selected by looking on their job boards.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

This was probably the most disorganized, disrespectful interview process I've ever been through. Start to finish, it took two and a half months. Two. And a half. Months. This included several lapses in communication from the recruiter, who would offer to schedule a phone call and then disappear for week, with me nagging every few days with "just checking in!" messages like a desperate and neglected date. We finally made it through the screening call, so there was another call with my hiring manager, who promptly forgot about it, leaving me anxiously looking at my phone and waiting for it to ring. Dude, people get NERVOUS FOR INTERVIEWS. They psych themselves up. They start staring at the phone ten minutes before the interview time. Every minute someone is late, the interviewee gets exponentially more nervous. MAYBE DON'T GHOST THEM.

More scheduling snafus ensure and I make it through THAT call, plus one more, and I'm then invited downtown for an in-person interview. The downtown interview is a four-hour affair, during which I'm interviewed in 30-minute blocks by different people from several departments. At least three of those people had no idea why they were interviewing me, so we just chit chatted. They were pretty cool. Between getting there and back, and the interview itself, I had to take the whole day off work.

After all that, it went to someone else. No big deal, right? Except when I thanked the recruiter and asked him if he'd feel comfortable sharing any feedback that I could grow from, he was like, "Honestly, it just went to someone with more experience. The person who got it had ten years of experience in blah blah blah plus five years of blah blah blah..." so that's not even in the same BALLPARK as my experience level (five years total) and I don't know, maybe they could have figured that one out before yanking me around for two and a half months. Good God, HomeAway. I wanted to love you. Just let me love you. WE COULD HAVE BEEN SO GOOD TOGETHER.

My one consolation is that driving home from their downtown office in 5:00 traffic made me want to stick a fork in my eye, so at least I won't be dealing with that. HomeAway still sounds like a great company to work for, but I wish they'd treat their applicants as well as they seem to treat their employees. If you have the patience and humbleness to get through their flaky process, then you deserve to work there. You probably deserve better than that.

Interview Questions

• Do you know why I'm interviewing you?   1 Answer

Big Data Platform Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HomeAway in June 2017.

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn and recruiter called me to schedule an phone screen. He did not called me on the scheduled time. I followed up with him for weeks to reschedule the call, but he never replied. I followed up with him on LinkedIn as well and I am still waiting for his reply. This is the worst interview experience I had. The recruiter did not have the courtesy to tell what is going on.

Chief of Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

Awesome. The recruiter was informative and responsive. The process all together only took 1 week. I had a phone interview with the recruiter, then scheduled an onsite day of interviews, and then received the results the next day. I had a chance onsite to get a sense of the culture and people. The questions were challenging and invigorating. I was treated with respect and dignity. Even if I didn't receive an offer, I would have walked away a promoter of the company, and been excited to use their services.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had too...   1 Answer

Big Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway in May 2017.

Interview

A applied on line, and after 1 week, receive a email from HR and confirm HR phone screen in one week, then manager technique interview in the following week. During HR phone screen, it is mainly about what you know about the company and describe your work experience. During the manager interview, it is more about technique

Cloud Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Four People interviewed me for 3hrs . Each interviewer was from different project. Two of them were Managers and two were developers. They were very kind and patient. HR gave me office tour later after the interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

Phone interview followed by an in-person interview. Nothing out of the ordinary. No one is intimidating so it was easy to be relaxed and answer their questions without worrying. It took about a week or so to get hired on, so you aren't going to be kept waiting for an insane amount of time. Internal hires do take weeks if not months to receive a response to though.

Director of Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview process was extremely smooth. I was referred internally so I was contacted by the recruitment team pretty quickly. I had an initial discussion with the hiring manager followed by a lunch interview with some of the technical leadership. I was then invited for an in-house interview where I further met five individuals at varying levels within the company.

Throughout the process, the interviewers were polite, attentive, ask through questions around the work I had done and gave me insight into what I could expect if I joined the team.

I also would like to point out the extreme efficiency and frequent communication that was maintained by the recruitment team through out the whole process. There was a genuine interest by the recruitment team to ensure that I succeed as part of interviewing with HomeAway as well as have a great experience. This was BY FAR the best interviewing process I have gone through.

PS: They have a wonderful office in Domain!

Interview Questions

• General management questions around what has been accomplished both technically and in terms of general management of the team. Be prepared to talk about your entire experience set with them   Answer Question

Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

You do an initial phone screen with the Talent Acquisition Manager. This is mainly focused on your experience, why you're looking, and Q&A regarding the company and the role. The Manager was friendly, clear in communication, and truly represented the company well.

After the phone screen, I was brought in house to meet with the rest of the recruiting team. I met with (5) people. Each person I met with was friendly, passionate for HA, and genuinely interested in learning more about me. In addition, I got a tour of the office---which is absolutely amazing. The culture at HA is collaborative, welcoming, and exciting.

If you get the opportunity to interview with HA--take it! I cannot say enough positive things about the HA team--keep up the great job!

Pros of HA
    -great culture and supportive team
    -talented team of Recruiters who are also easy to get along with
    -fast paced environment
    -excellent employee perks
    -tons of opportunities for professional growth