HomeAway Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 23, 2017

2.9

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

This was probably the most disorganized, disrespectful interview process I've ever been through. Start to finish, it took two and a half months. Two. And a half. Months. This included several lapses in communication from the recruiter, who would offer to schedule a phone call and then disappear for week, with me nagging every few days with "just checking in!" messages like a desperate and neglected date. We finally made it through the screening call, so there was another call with my hiring manager, who promptly forgot about it, leaving me anxiously looking at my phone and waiting for it to ring. Dude, people get NERVOUS FOR INTERVIEWS. They psych themselves up. They start staring at the phone ten minutes before the interview time. Every minute someone is late, the interviewee gets exponentially more nervous. MAYBE DON'T GHOST THEM.

More scheduling snafus ensure and I make it through THAT call, plus one more, and I'm then invited downtown for an in-person interview. The downtown interview is a four-hour affair, during which I'm interviewed in 30-minute blocks by different people from several departments. At least three of those people had no idea why they were interviewing me, so we just chit chatted. They were pretty cool. Between getting there and back, and the interview itself, I had to take the whole day off work.

After all that, it went to someone else. No big deal, right? Except when I thanked the recruiter and asked him if he'd feel comfortable sharing any feedback that I could grow from, he was like, "Honestly, it just went to someone with more experience. The person who got it had ten years of experience in blah blah blah plus five years of blah blah blah..." so that's not even in the same BALLPARK as my experience level (five years total) and I don't know, maybe they could have figured that one out before yanking me around for two and a half months. Good God, HomeAway. I wanted to love you. Just let me love you. WE COULD HAVE BEEN SO GOOD TOGETHER.

My one consolation is that driving home from their downtown office in 5:00 traffic made me want to stick a fork in my eye, so at least I won't be dealing with that. HomeAway still sounds like a great company to work for, but I wish they'd treat their applicants as well as they seem to treat their employees. If you have the patience and humbleness to get through their flaky process, then you deserve to work there. You probably deserve better than that.

Interview Questions

• Do you know why I'm interviewing you?   1 Answer

Big Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway in May 2017.

Interview

A applied on line, and after 1 week, receive a email from HR and confirm HR phone screen in one week, then manager technique interview in the following week. During HR phone screen, it is mainly about what you know about the company and describe your work experience. During the manager interview, it is more about technique

Cloud Engineer() Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Four People interviewed me for 3hrs . Each interviewer was from different project. Two of them were Managers and two were developers. They were very kind and patient. HR gave me office tour later after the interview.

SE Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

I visited their booth during the career fair and the same night i was invited for an interview at the college campus . I was told to choose a time slot for the interview the next day. It lasted for about 30 mins.

Finance Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied and about a week or so later was contacted by a recruiter. He was really nice and enthusiastic, and was eager to get a second interview set up. The second interviewer; the one managing the role, was late and seemed highly rushed. She did not seem to want to interview me at all. Even though I felt as if I answered her questions correctly and provided relevant experience, she gave off the vibe that she was not listening. I still however sent a thank you to the recruiter and have not heard back. If you have a candidate in mind prior to posting the job req, then simply go that route. There has been no communication since, not even from the recruiter of a decline. I feel you should be open with your candidates and just let them know!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for HomeAway?   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

HomeAway was offering 30 minute on campus interviews. I walked in, chatted with the interviewer for around half the time and discussed my side projects and passions. For the rest of the time, I worked on an OOP question. The interviewer was very nice and helpful, and the process went fairly smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Use OOP to implement a deck of cards with methods add and shuffle   Answer Question

Full Stack Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online, First call was with the recruiter followed by a coding test by one of their engineer. The next round was with the hiring manger.

I was then invited for an onsite interview where I was interviewed by 4 different engineers, each round was a 1-1 with a lot of white boarding questions. The overall experience was really good.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to give the value of the nth element in a Fibonacci series?   Answer Question
    • Binary Search Tree validation algorithm?   Answer Question
    • Given an array and an integer check if any two elements in the array sum up to the given integer?   Answer Question
    • Given an array of odd or even numbers find out the index of an out liner number?

An out liner number is the odd element in the set of array Example an even number would be an outliner for an array with all odd numbers and vice versa.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I talked with them at a career fair at my school, they scheduled an on campus interview the next day. I did well so they flew me out on-site to Austin for the final round of interviews. The day before, there was a mixer so you could meet engineers and other people applying. The day of the interview was 4 technical interviews with 4 different engineers. I thought I did well on the interview, but unfortunately did not end up with an offer. It is a really cool company though.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

4 interviewers * each 45min, interview starts at 9am. Each gives a little bit of behavior questions as well as a technical question(maybe I am not good enough for them to give me two).

Interview Questions

• String compression and decompression.
      "aaabbb222" to "a3b323" (compress), then decompress back to original string.
      The trick would be when a character has more than 10 digits, better format your output compressed string in order to easily decompress it.
      Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst (R&D) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HomeAway in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online. Recruiter contacted me within 24 hours of applying (I wonder if they have a metric they are measured against for external applications). He asked me why HomeAway, what my current comp was, why wanting to leave current employer, and a brief summary of my experience. He also mentioned their projected comp on base, bonus %, RSU grant.

Phone interview was scheduled with hiring manager several days later. I was asked why HomeAway, asked if I felt taking this role was enough change (challenge) for me. I asked the manager what keeps her at HomeAway, she mentioned the ability to have work-life balance, great vacations, the ability to see what you are part of, and the people she works with. I asked about how talent is managed and how people grow and develop...I did not receive a clear response. I asked why this role could not be filled from the bench and again the reasoning given was vague and unclear. Based on the vague responses my impression was they are more inclined to go to the external job market than promote from within.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about addressing a request to hire 100 headcount into a department? Walk me through the steps you would take with the business partner.   1 Answer