HomeAway Senior Ruby On Rails/Java Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HomeAway Senior Ruby On Rails/Java Software Developer Interview Questions

1 Interview Review

1.0

1 Candidate Interview ReviewBack to all Interviews

Senior Ruby On Rails/Java Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

After I saw the job ad and submitted my application, I got contacted by the HR who seemed to be happy I got matching skills. It was a position requiring both Ruby on Rails and Java. I had a phone interview with the HR (she was almost 30 minutes late and I already called her myself, but she didn't pick up). She also scheduled what she called a technical interview on the phone with a hiring manager (he was actually a director), 45 minutes long. In the beginning he just talked-and-talked-and-talked about the company and its products like I was an investor or something. Then he went through my jobs, no questions about technical aspects, may be he didn't know them better. He asked about one job, and then skipped to the next one without me answering. He spent a few minutes explaining that an indexing server stores information in text, like it was a lot of complexity. Basically, the interview was mostly a lot of irrelevant talking, chewy, sales like and impossible to make into a dialog about what they want and how my skills match, no any questions about team fit etc. In the end I felt like a salesman who failed to put up a show and convince a house owner to buy an electric gadget. He told me they would contact me later, as they just started the interviewing (that's what he said, I've heard of them hiring 3 weeks before), but I already saw the status of my application changed to "not selected". The company got a lot of technical talent by acquiring startups worldwide, other then that I don't see how they would hire engineers based on their qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example when you fixed a performance issue
    (it was the only question for this interview)   Answer Question