HomeAway Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

2.8

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HomeAway (New York, NY).

Interview

Three rounds of phone interviews ,and then three rounds of onsite interviews with different people. The interviewers are pretty nice. The questions are not difficult, especially if you have testing experience before.

Senior Big Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

Two interviews over the phone(The first one is less Technical & more of the kind of technology I was working in the current organization and the second one is Technical...both are not back to back though)....after that followed by onsite interview with 3 of their team members each interview lasting about 30/40 minutes)

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions are related to the Technology I have worked on   Answer Question

Technical Support Representative Tier II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

Two part interview, first with two people, second with one person. The first interview is a get to know you/basic skills portion, the second interview is more in depth as to your technical knowledge. Each portion is 30 minutes and they are back to back.

Interview Questions

• Explain what an API is.
      What are the three email protocols and how does each one work.
      Describe the components of a high end computer.
      What is XML.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

30 Mins on-campus interview. Then a one day on-site interview at Austin. They were very friendly. Lunch was provided. Each on site interview lasted approx 40 mins. It was a one-on-one interview. The interviewees helped while solving questions and also asked a lot of questions.

Interview Questions

• Lots of Behavioral questions. Convert String addition to sum.   Answer Question

Finance Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied and about a week or so later was contacted by a recruiter. He was really nice and enthusiastic, and was eager to get a second interview set up. The second interviewer; the one managing the role, was late and seemed highly rushed. She did not seem to want to interview me at all. Even though I felt as if I answered her questions correctly and provided relevant experience, she gave off the vibe that she was not listening. I still however sent a thank you to the recruiter and have not heard back. If you have a candidate in mind prior to posting the job req, then simply go that route. There has been no communication since, not even from the recruiter of a decline. I feel you should be open with your candidates and just let them know!

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for HomeAway?   1 Answer

Full Stack Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online, First call was with the recruiter followed by a coding test by one of their engineer. The next round was with the hiring manger.

I was then invited for an onsite interview where I was interviewed by 4 different engineers, each round was a 1-1 with a lot of white boarding questions. The overall experience was really good.

Interview Questions

• Write a function to give the value of the nth element in a Fibonacci series?   Answer Question
    • Binary Search Tree validation algorithm?   Answer Question
    • Given an array and an integer check if any two elements in the array sum up to the given integer?   Answer Question
    • Given an array of odd or even numbers find out the index of an out liner number?

An out liner number is the odd element in the set of array Example an even number would be an outliner for an array with all odd numbers and vice versa.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I talked with them at a career fair at my school, they scheduled an on campus interview the next day. I did well so they flew me out on-site to Austin for the final round of interviews. The day before, there was a mixer so you could meet engineers and other people applying. The day of the interview was 4 technical interviews with 4 different engineers. I thought I did well on the interview, but unfortunately did not end up with an offer. It is a really cool company though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

4 interviewers * each 45min, interview starts at 9am. Each gives a little bit of behavior questions as well as a technical question(maybe I am not good enough for them to give me two).

Interview Questions

• String compression and decompression.
      "aaabbb222" to "a3b323" (compress), then decompress back to original string.
      The trick would be when a character has more than 10 digits, better format your output compressed string in order to easily decompress it.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

HomeAway was offering 30 minute on campus interviews. I walked in, chatted with the interviewer for around half the time and discussed my side projects and passions. For the rest of the time, I worked on an OOP question. The interviewer was very nice and helpful, and the process went fairly smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Use OOP to implement a deck of cards with methods add and shuffle   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst (R&D) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HomeAway in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online. Recruiter contacted me within 24 hours of applying (I wonder if they have a metric they are measured against for external applications). He asked me why HomeAway, what my current comp was, why wanting to leave current employer, and a brief summary of my experience. He also mentioned their projected comp on base, bonus %, RSU grant.

Phone interview was scheduled with hiring manager several days later. I was asked why HomeAway, asked if I felt taking this role was enough change (challenge) for me. I asked the manager what keeps her at HomeAway, she mentioned the ability to have work-life balance, great vacations, the ability to see what you are part of, and the people she works with. I asked about how talent is managed and how people grow and develop...I did not receive a clear response. I asked why this role could not be filled from the bench and again the reasoning given was vague and unclear. Based on the vague responses my impression was they are more inclined to go to the external job market than promote from within.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about addressing a request to hire 100 headcount into a department? Walk me through the steps you would take with the business partner.   1 Answer