HomeAway Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 18, 2017

2.9

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

Haven't finished the phone screen interview. Finished the Online Assessment test. 2 questions, 75 mins. The first one is search a key in a binary tree (so easy). The second one is beautiful subarray.

Interview Questions

• The first one is search a key in a binary tree (so easy). The second one is beautiful subarray.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for HomeAway

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway in September 2017.

Interview

Applied Online, and received a hackerrank exam. I completed the exam with all test cases passed, and never heard back even after emailing the recruiter about my application status. Not sure why they decided to ghost me.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

the recruiter just called me and scheduled a technical interview first, the technical interview asked a few simple questions , and then scheduled a onsite interview. the onsite interview took about 4 hours and the process was very friendly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HomeAway (Bellevue, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

Was flown to Bellevue for onsite interviews. HomeAway was recently acquired by Expedia and the Bellevue office is brand new (originally a part of Expedia). So, the actual onsite interview process there is a bit awkward as you'll be interviewed by some employees face-to-face, including Expedia veterans, and, for some reason half of my interviews onsite were over Skype.

Interview Questions

• Accept an integer as input and output the corresponding column the number is represented in in Excel. So, 1 is A, 27 is AA, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at HomeAway (Bellevue, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

Worst interview experience with HomeAway.

I applied through LinkedIn in the middle of august.
    I got a call from recruiter and he set up a 45min technical interview with one of their developers. Then i was selected for further interviews in Bellevue area. They fly you to their place. I went through four rounds of similar interviews on site with various people from different teams.

The recruiter called me in 4-5 days later to raise an offer. After all the negotiations and finding me a team to join. They somehow decided to call it off. This happened in last week of august.

I am on H1-B and the recruiter said that they will be able to transfer the H1-B on October 1st. So I waited for a month and got back to the recruiter to start the process again.
    Now they say there are no openings. Where in I see multiple openings on their website.

I didn't like the way they dealt with it. Raising false hopes and wrong communication is not good.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Received an email from the technical recruiter asking to schedule an initial phone screen. A week later a technical interview was scheduled with a Sr. Software Developer, and then I was invited to their Domain office for the next interviews. There were 4 interviews onsite, 45 minutes each. Got the offer a week later.

Interview Questions

• Data structures, OOPS design questions, problem solving, react.js exercises, vanilla javascript exercises. No behavioral questions asked.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX).

Interview

30 Mins on-campus interview. Then a one day on-site interview at Austin. They were very friendly. Lunch was provided. Each on site interview lasted approx 40 mins. It was a one-on-one interview. The interviewees helped while solving questions and also asked a lot of questions.

Interview Questions

• Lots of Behavioral questions. Convert String addition to sum.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HomeAway.

Interview

HomeAway was offering 30 minute on campus interviews. I walked in, chatted with the interviewer for around half the time and discussed my side projects and passions. For the rest of the time, I worked on an OOP question. The interviewer was very nice and helpful, and the process went fairly smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Use OOP to implement a deck of cards with methods add and shuffle   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I talked with them at a career fair at my school, they scheduled an on campus interview the next day. I did well so they flew me out on-site to Austin for the final round of interviews. The day before, there was a mixer so you could meet engineers and other people applying. The day of the interview was 4 technical interviews with 4 different engineers. I thought I did well on the interview, but unfortunately did not end up with an offer. It is a really cool company though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HomeAway (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

4 interviewers * each 45min, interview starts at 9am. Each gives a little bit of behavior questions as well as a technical question(maybe I am not good enough for them to give me two).

Interview Questions

• String compression and decompression.
      "aaabbb222" to "a3b323" (compress), then decompress back to original string.
      The trick would be when a character has more than 10 digits, better format your output compressed string in order to easily decompress it.   Answer Question