Hormel Production Supervisor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 14, 2017

2.9

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Austin, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hormel (Austin, MN) in March 2017.

Interview

I gleaned an incredible amount of valuable information from the other reviews on Glassdoor; it is only fair that I provide my own experience.

I applied for the Associate Production Supervisor position online after I spoke with Hormel at a career fair. They were very pleasant, and I learned a great deal about the roles at Hormel; I was not offered an on-campus interview at this time. About a month later, I gave my resume to a friend who works for Hormel; the very next day I received an email requesting that I fill out a more in-depth "employment application" (Due to the timing of this, I'm not certain my friend had the time to send my resume to an HR Rep. Regardless, it helps to have connections when getting that first interview.) A week from completing the "employment application", I was offered my first telephone interview. The interviewer was extremely friendly and excited to speak with me. (If you all have had as many interviews as me, then you understand how nice and welcoming it feels for the interviewer to be excited to speak with you.) I will post her questions below. 10 days after my phone interview, I was invited to interview at their corporate headquarters in Austin, MN, all expenses paid.

I can't stress this enough; Hormel really does have great people. My interview was at 7:15 am and the Hormel security guard walked out of his booth to greet me by name as I drove in. That day, I received a plant tour and interviewed with 4 people of varying positions within the company; they were all very friendly and welcoming. Again, I will post their questions below. Two weeks to the day from my on-site interview, I was given an offer. They are very upfront about working 10 hour days, night shifts, and 15 out of 52 weekends.

*If you are going to be successful, then you truly need to be interested in Hormel. Express your excitement for the company and make it a conversation about the company as well as the interviewer's role within the Company. Don't just sit and wait to be asked a question about yourself; ask about them and their contribution to Hormel!

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you added value to a team?
    Give me a time when you had to convince team members of an opposing viewpoint?
    Why food production?
    Why Hormel?
    Tell me about your military experience.
    Walk me through your resume.
    What questions do you have for me?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Hormel

Production Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hormel.

Interview

Initial phone interview was quick and took about 10 minutes. Asked if I can tolerate cold temperatures and If I had a problem with hogs being slaughtered. They also wanted to know if I was a felon.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hormel (Austin, MN) in June 2015.

Interview

Got back to me after a few weeks of applying. Once I received a phone call the process was quick. Very friendly staff of HR members. Made me feel as if I was apart of the hormel family.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hormel (Austin, MN).

Interview

Met recruiter at Job Fair in college. Traveled to Corp Headquarters in Austin, Mn. for job interview. Interview was easy, The interviewers put on their best face. Would have preferred to visit with normal production supervisors to get their input and views about working at Hormel. Maybe the picture painted by the interviewer would be different than the actual details given.

Interview Questions

• Past achievements. If I was willing to re-locate. Personal history...single, married, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hormel (Austin, MN) in January 2014.

Interview

You will first fill out an online application and follow up with a phone interview. The phone interview is based of questions that will tell them if it is worth their time to pay for you to travel to the corporate office "Austin Mn". If you are offered a visit to the corporate office you will spend the day interviewing with 6 or so different individual that are higher up in the company. 4 of mine were vice presidents. It is very important to be relaxed and relate to your interviewer as much as possible. Do not just sit there and wait to be asked a question, keep the conversation going.

Interview Questions

• In the next 60 seconds or less tell me why I should walk down the hallway and tell the Vice President of human resources to hire you.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hormel (Austin, MN) in March 2012.

Interview

Great Interview process! They take you on a tour that will allow ypu to learn plenty about the company. The Whole process takes about 6 hours and is a bit too long.

Interview Questions

• What issues do you see facing the food industry in the next 5 years?   Answer Question

Negotiation

real simple process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hormel (Austin, MN) in May 2011.

Interview

I initially applied online and about 5 months later got an email to fill out their official online application and submit a copy of my transcripts. I did the online app and got an email about 2 days later to set up a phone interview for later that same week. That phone interview was pretty easy and included the recruiter explaining the nature of the position and asking three fairly standard behavioral based questions. She was incredibly friendly and at the end of the call let me know that if I was moved on to the next step, I would be invited out to Minnesota for all day interviews. I got a phone call just over a week later letting me know I'd been invited out for interviews and to contact them to make my travel arrangements.

My interview day was scheduled for 2 weeks after I called them to set up travel plans. I got to MN late on night, interviewed all day the next day and flew home that same night. The interview day consisted of meeting with about 6 different corporate people, touring their plant and a brief meeting with the recruiter I spoke with on the phone. I felt like I had interesting conversations with everyone I met with, though I must note, I'm a younger female and I definitely got the vibe that it's a male dominant company. Almost everyone I met with during the day have been with the company 20+ years and I think they were all from the mid-west (they all asked how I felt about relocating from California one day and I think they weren't convinced it wasn't an issue). I thought the day went pretty well, but I did get asked "what's your management style," which is a difficult question to answer when I'm straight out of college and haven't really had time to establish a "management style".

I got an email about a week following my interview letting me know I wouldn't be offered a position. I think they were looking for someone with a more agressive/dominant personality and if I had any advice to offer to others interviewing for this position, definitely make it known that you have a strategy for dealing with managing people who are a.) older than you b.) set in their ways or c.) union employees.

Interview Questions

• Given what you know about this company at this moment, what position do you see yourself in in 10 years?   Answer Question
    • What's your management style?   Answer Question
    • What about being a production supervisor appeals to you?   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hormel.

Interview

Applied thru web site ad, had one phone and one in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Was ask about bad habits learned working for companies other than Hormel, and how fast I could forget any way other than the "Hormel " way ????   1 Answer

Negotiation

you get a contract in a email there is no negotiation...you take or decline

Production Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hormel in July 2012.

Interview

The first contact was a phone interview, followed by an in person interview with 3 people at a local plant. This was later followed by a trip to the Hormel Foods headquarters in Austin, MN. This trip consisted of 5 interviews, a lunch meeting, and a plant tour. The interviews consisted of direct questtions about my qualifications and a couple behavioral questions. The company made me feel at home and it was truly a pleasant experience. Hormel's human resources department is outstanding. Interview results were always given within 2 business days.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The company presented a very generous offer which took into account the unique aspects of my candidacy. A counter offer was not needed, as their offer was above average with several additional perks. Even though the compensation offer was quite generous, I did turn down some higher paying opportunities to accept Hormel's offer.