Hornbeck Offshore Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 23, 2017

2.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hornbeck Offshore

Shoreside Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hornbeck Offshore.

Interview

I was called in for an interview about a month after applying.
    The interview took about 2 hours total.
    I was called back to take a skills test two weeks later.
    That process was simple.
    2 weeks later I was called in for a second interview and made an offer. Then was directed to take a drug screening and background check.

Able Seaman Interview

Anonymous Employee in Metairie, LA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hornbeck Offshore (Metairie, LA) in February 2014.

Interview

I walked off a boat and went to their headquarters. I asked for a job they asked what boat I got off of and they gave me a job. There was not much of an interview. I walked in to merely introduce myself. I called over and over again and I was never able to get an interview. So I walked into their headquarters after I got off a job. They got me an interview that day.

Interview Questions

• Asked what I did for my old company and why I was leaving.   1 Answer

AB SEAMAN Interview

Anonymous Employee in Covington, LA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hornbeck Offshore (Covington, LA) in December 2013.

Interview

Easy. Skype interview first. Than I paid my own way to New Orleans. They covered my taxi and hotel room for one night. When I arrived in New Orleans I waited around in the airport because they never called to authorize a taxi to pick me up. The next day completed my interview and took a physical. My physical took to long I than missed my flight home. They said I would have plenty of time when I sent my itinerary to them. They would not cover my hotel room that night. Very expensive hiring process on your end. Really think it through. At the time it was a good move for me, I have since moved on.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They really build the job up. Make sure you ask a lot of questions. I recommend if they promise you anything you get it in writing.

OICNW Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hornbeck Offshore in October 2013.

Interview

Contacted the office and they set up a skype interview. After the interview and they offered me the job contingent on a physical so I flew to NOLA conducted the physical and signed on. 1 week later I started the new hire orientation for a week before going to one of there vessels in fourchon

Negotiation

I did not negotiate

Mate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Covington, LA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hornbeck Offshore (Covington, LA).

Interview

I sent my resume to an operations manager suggested by a previous coworker. After weeks of multiple calls and emails I received a call. This was during a heavy hiring period for the company. A few months later I was offered an interview. I traveled to Louisiana and was picked up from the airport and driven directly to the interview. I was dressed in business attire while others waiting for an interview were in old jeans and a T.
    The office personnel were profession as far as a boat company goes. I waited for hours as people moved about in the office and then they took lunch. The interview consisted of speaking with a few different people such as ops coordinators and a recruiter.
    They basically vaguely chatted about general operations of the boats. Then proceeded to inquire about my experience.
    Then after sitting for another hour or so i produced my credentials and was given an offer.
    The next day I took a drug test and a physical. Testing lifting, carrying, and squeeze strength, cardio performance and the typical touch your toes.
    I then fly home and waited for a few weeks for physical and drug test results.
    Then two more months to be placed in a 4 day new hire orientation.
    The orientation was given by heads of departments to give you an overview of the companies operations. very well given and motivating.
    At the end of the orientation we were assigned to vessels and given safety and work wear.
    Some went directly to vessels, some to training, some home til their rotation crew change.

Interview Questions

• Describe a personnel issue you have dealt with and how you handled it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Simply offered and I took it to get foot in the door. They have base pay for positions and licenses held. a 1600T masters license will possibly bring you an extra $25 or $50. An Unlimited license brings nothing in addition as I understand it.

Mate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Covington, LA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hornbeck Offshore (Covington, LA) in January 2013.

Interview

Beginning of January 2012- At the time of my hiring the offshore industry was booming. My experience at that time was poor in my opinion. The Gulf companies were not prepared for the growth they were experiencing and needed skilled people from the "outside" to fill positions. I had worked many years deep sea shipping looking to get closer to home at that time in my life. A friend had started working for HOS and referred me. I called and emailed the appropriate contacts many times with no response. I finally acquired the number of a manager and called directly. Surely in other industries this may be frowned upon. In the maritime industry at times, tactfully making things happen has been know to be understood. Act at your own risk. haha. Finally I was given the courteous attention of that said manager and was invited for a face to face interview.

I setup a flight and went a few weeks later. I was picked up from the airport and shuttled to the Covington officer. I sat for three hours and through their lunch period without any consideration before I was addressed. I then was taken to a small room where two former boat captains smugly began to tell me about their positions. Then I was asked questions that seemed to be asked as if I were clueless about "boats". I tactfully and professionally answered there questions with natural confidence. I do not know everything and I did not know that specific industry but I had a tremendous amount of experience that they did not seem to even attempt to respect or inquire about. I do believe this to be ignorance and looked past it keeping in mind I was a professional seeking a professional position.

As a mariner I feel the questions were informal and typical. They asked about the types of vessels I had been on, to explain a personnel issue I had to deal with and how I had dealt with it, where I say myself with the company in five years, etc.
    I then was sent back to a waiting room for an hour before sitting with the recruiter.
    We chatted and went through my professional documents and filled out the hiring contract.

I was hired pending a physical. They paid for a night in the hotel next to the office. I took a physical the next morning and then flew home.
    I believe it was a few weeks before getting a call and scheduled for attending the new hire orientation in Covington.
    I attending the orientation and began work Mid March 2012.

I do not know how helpful this review is at current state of the industry but reflects a brief insight from my experience.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Covington, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hornbeck Offshore (Covington, LA) in September 2008.

Interview

You have to submit your application on line first. You pay your way to the office in Covington, LA for the interview.