Hot Topic Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 15, 2017

2.5

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Fairbanks, AK

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Fairbanks, AK) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview was very relaxed and fairly informal, was conducted on bench outside of store in mall hallway. The manager was relaxed yet very professional. She seemed to know exactly what she was looking for in a hire-able candidate. She was very honest about how the store worked and ran, even included the true struggles and challenges of the job which was very refreshing.

Interview Questions

• What interested you in this position at Hot Topic?

What do you know about the company?

Tell me about your past management experience?

What could you bring to our store if I were to hire you?

Have you ever held a position where you were responsible for meeting daily sales goals?

How would you deal with a difficult employee?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Hot Topic

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Dayton, OH) in February 2016.

Interview

It was very detailed and personable.
    Be ready to go into detailed answers and beyond. By doing this, the manager can grasp your customer service skills and how open you are and how you do with talking to others. They will ask for specific examples of past experiences and what former employers and friends will say about you.
    Don't lie, managers are trained to ask the right questions to gain insight about you.

Interview Questions

• Why do I wanna work for Hot Topic?
      What type of music do I listen to?
      Name a bad customer service experience and how I fixed it?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

Wasn't like any interview I've ever been in. Very rushed and felt like the interview didn't really matter. Like they already had who the wanted and nothing I said made a difference.

Interview Questions

• There was really no questions. Just asked why I wanted the job.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

Two interviews, one with the store manger and the second with a district manager. They kept communication with me as easy as possible and made sure I was comfortable with the process.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were really casual and they wanted to know more about my personality.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

The interview process can sometimes take a while. You may need to meet with a few different managers over the course of a month or so before they make a final decision.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I would absolutely try to negotiate your salary. Hot Topic likes to start on the low end. Take this advice ESPECIALLY if you are getting promoted internally.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Hot Topic (San Francisco, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Two interviews. mostly my prior knowledge about pop culture and past manager expierience

Interview Questions

• something that was difficult and also challenging in my past employer job   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Dublin, OH) in October 2010.

Interview

Most important: Can you add on to sales naturally? Do you ask open ended questions? How important is product knowledge? How do you handle customer objections? How important is greeting to you? Are you a self starter? How motivated are you?

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is 0 negotiating. In the end I was not getting paid enough for all the responsibilities and expectations put on me. Also, after 3.5 years I only saw 1 raise and that was only from a promotion.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2009.

Interview

Contacted by email by a recruiter with their interest in me. They may have got my resume from the internet. Monster perhaps. I emailed back expressing that the interest was mutual. Very pleasant conversation for phone screening was small talk. What music did I like? A little bit about myself....etc. Then they will decide if you get a phone interview. With the same person but this one is real interview questions. Strengths, weaknesses. Could I pass a background check, etc. You will know right away concluding this if you will make it further in the process. They will tell you that they are sendinghe your info to a district manager. Within a week you should have a time for a face to face. From there you should know if you have the job but there are several outcomes. You will fill out some background forms and you should expect an offer if you can pass that and a credit check. You may get a second interview if they are on the fence. Or nothing, go brush up on your interviewing skills. Good Luck.

Interview Questions

• 3 Strengths and 3 weakness. I am usually prepared for one of these, but 3 was difficult mostly for weakness.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They offered me a wage and the position and I accepted it. There is no room for negotiation. It is a firm offer.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic in June 2008.

Interview

Very easy. Asked basic questions about my experience. Asked what did I have to offer the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Able to negotiate my pay. Just let them know what you want to be paid. They are very open. Will compromise if can't give you what you want.