Hot Topic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.5

38 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Knoxville, TN) in July 2017.

Interview

The hiring manger, who was maybe 25 tops, called me and asked if I wanted to come in for an interview. He made it clear that he was conducting many interviews in one day. I was going to be out of town on that particular for a while, so I ended up coming in right before I was supposed to leave and was the only person interviewed on this particular day. He took me to a bench some distance away from the store, where he asked me some questions mainly pertaining to pop culture. It was very casual and laid-back, which was grand except for the fact that he seemed to be fumbling with the questions and overall gave off the impression that he had not much practice interviewing candidates. He explained to me how training would go, so I was under the impression that it had went well. Then I received a phone call a week later, which I missed because I was at the beach. There was no voicemail, so I was unsure what to expect when I called back. Long story short, he said he had gone with the other candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (New York, NY).

Interview

One of the worst job interview experiences I've had in a long time. The manager/person that interviewed me acted so unprofessional and condescending the whole time I dealt with her so in a way I'm glad I didn't get hired, because I can't imagine what she'd be like working under her.

Anyway the process was easy enough, I walked-in and said I was I interested in applying. She was mainly focused (more like annoyed) that I didn't have sales experience but I told her not only when I walked in but during the interview that I've had many years of customer service experience, but I wanted to start developing some sales experience.

I gave my resume on a Tuesday and got interviewed on Friday. All the questions were only about my past experience and one about pop culture. I received a call the next Tuesday about my hours so I thought she was interested.

Never heard back. A week later,
    I called to follow up and she acted SO condescending again over the phone saying, "Uh, can I help you?" What other reason would I have to call you but to follow up? I didn't get the position and honestly don't think I would apply at that location ever again.

Just because you're a busy manager doesn't mean you treat the people that are taking their time as well to interview for positions like they're nothing.

Interview Questions

• How do you find out about the latest in pop culture and what aspects of pop culture do you know?   Answer Question
    • What is your past customer service experience?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable selling credit cards?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Lafayette, IN) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and after a week of no answer, I called the store. It turns out the online applications weren't working properly, so I was invited to fill out an application in the store. I showed up and put in my application, and I scheduled an interview right then. When I went for the interview, it seemed to go smoothly, with the interviewer even saying I had the look and seemed to enjoy the store. She told me she'd get in touch with me if I got the job, but I never heard anything after that. I don't have any negative feelings, I just wish they would notify when they decide they're not going to hire you, because I was anxiously watching my phone the entire next week.

Product Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hot Topic (City of Industry, CA).

Interview

Applied online and also referred by an HR recruiter. Interviewed on the phone then later in person. Interviewed back to back with about 6 different people in the same day. Said I would be contacted in about a week. After the week passed, I reached out to HR which said the team was still deciding. Waited 2 more weeks and reached out again, this time no response.

Interview Questions

• If your former supervisor could say 3 things about you what would they say?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

Called the store and asked to speak with a hiring manager then asked the hiring manager if they were hiring. They asked what my experience was then asked if i could come in that day. Went in and browsed around the store till i got to speak with the manager. She was very nice. Everyone in that store was very nice. We talked for literally like 5 minutes. Felt like a conversation with a friend. She basically just asked why i want to work there/availability and said she liked the fact i had sales experience. Then said she'll give me a call tomorrow and let me know. (Fingers crossed) but since the interview was so short idk.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Forks, ND

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Grand Forks, ND) in November 2016.

Interview

I had to fill out a paper application and deliver it to the store, as the online application is messed up and won't work. I then had to wait almost two weeks to get a phone call to set up an interview. We went to another part of the mall to have a 1:1 interview. Then they took forever to get back to me and then they told me that they already filled the positions, but I see them posting on Indeed how they still need help in the areas that they said that they'd saved my application for.

Interview Questions

• Q. How do you find new music/what are your favorite bands?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview with 6 of us outside at the tables and the assistant manager asked us questions and we all answered and she said shed contact us in few days if were what they want

Interview Questions

• Why is Hot Topic your job choice?   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Ann Arbor, MI) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online, and waited two months before getting a call back. Got the in person interview. It went well, I thought, but a week passed, like i was told, and nothing. No call. I didn't call because I don't want to be that person.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grove City, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Grove City, PA) in May 2016.

Interview

Simple and relaxed and done in the back. Was asked the usually questions.I think I was just too nervous and that hurt me for a chance. Did not get any call back saying I wasn't hired.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hot Topic in March 2016.

Interview

I just had one interview. I came in, did the interview with the Manager. He asked me about my past job and why I left. And also asked if I was in school. And he asked if I was okay with a lot of people in a tight space, because that's how the store is. I'm not sure if I got the job yet.