Hot Topic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hot Topic Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Springfield, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

I called and then applied online and went to the store the next day and applied in person also. The process took only five days and I started as soon as the interview was over.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Miami, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online, got called a week later, and then showed up. We sat in a food court and he asked me some questions and made some sexist and offense remarks.

Distribution Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Nashville, TN) in April 2017.

Interview

We did a brief interview over the phone and then a brief, friendly interview in person. Interviewer was very nice, very laid back. Explained job process well. 3rd interview I've been on where interviewer does not have a handle on included benefits such as insurance, vacation, etc. This is just as important as wages.

Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Portage, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview took place in the food court. For the most part the questions were all very basic and were very easy to respond to. The only out of the ordinary questions were the few I was asked about pop culture. The manager was very, very friendly as were the sales associates in the store. I was told that there were several more interviewers scheduled and I would be contacted within a couple of days if the district manager wanted to interview with me. I was called back. Initially an in person store interview was scheduled, but was switched to a phone interview last minute due to schedule conflicts. The district manager more or less just wanted to speak to me to see how I reacted to the job description.

Interview Questions

• Where do you get your pop culture news?   1 Answer
    • What is a little known artist or band that you would like everyone to know about?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Katy, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Requested an application in-store and turned it in a week later. Was called in about two weeks later and had an interview with an assistant manager. She passed on my resume to the store manager and after an interview with her, I received a call the next day offering me the job and setting up an orientation.

Interview Questions

• What role would you feel most comfortable in the store doing?   1 Answer
    • How do you expose yourself to pop culture?   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

I had a group interview, there was three other potential employees with me. The manager sat us all down and asked questions then had us all answer the question one by one. The trickiest part was that what you wanted to say to answer was almost always taken by another person if you weren't asked first. So on the fly having to think of an original answer was a bit of a struggle.

Interview Questions

• What type of music are you interested in?   1 Answer

Product Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hot Topic (City of Industry, CA).

Interview

Applied online and also referred by an HR recruiter. Interviewed on the phone then later in person. Interviewed back to back with about 6 different people in the same day. Said I would be contacted in about a week. After the week passed, I reached out to HR which said the team was still deciding. Waited 2 more weeks and reached out again, this time no response.

Interview Questions

• If your former supervisor could say 3 things about you what would they say?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Lafayette, IN) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and after a week of no answer, I called the store. It turns out the online applications weren't working properly, so I was invited to fill out an application in the store. I showed up and put in my application, and I scheduled an interview right then. When I went for the interview, it seemed to go smoothly, with the interviewer even saying I had the look and seemed to enjoy the store. She told me she'd get in touch with me if I got the job, but I never heard anything after that. I don't have any negative feelings, I just wish they would notify when they decide they're not going to hire you, because I was anxiously watching my phone the entire next week.

Part Time Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jeffersonville, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Jeffersonville, OH).

Interview

I had two interviews being that I was going for management position. First was with a manager and then I had an interview with the DM! It was fun and very calm. They asked very simple questions and then normal and then talked about pop culture and movies and music. Something you would expect from HT

Interview Questions

• How do you stay up to date on music and bands.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They matched what I was making at my other job but I wish I would have asked for more.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

Called the store and asked to speak with a hiring manager then asked the hiring manager if they were hiring. They asked what my experience was then asked if i could come in that day. Went in and browsed around the store till i got to speak with the manager. She was very nice. Everyone in that store was very nice. We talked for literally like 5 minutes. Felt like a conversation with a friend. She basically just asked why i want to work there/availability and said she liked the fact i had sales experience. Then said she'll give me a call tomorrow and let me know. (Fingers crossed) but since the interview was so short idk.