Hot Topic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2017

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Forks, ND

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Grand Forks, ND) in November 2016.

Interview

I had to fill out a paper application and deliver it to the store, as the online application is messed up and won't work. I then had to wait almost two weeks to get a phone call to set up an interview. We went to another part of the mall to have a 1:1 interview. Then they took forever to get back to me and then they told me that they already filled the positions, but I see them posting on Indeed how they still need help in the areas that they said that they'd saved my application for.

Interview Questions

• Q. How do you find new music/what are your favorite bands?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Dayton, OH) in February 2016.

Interview

It was very detailed and personable.
    Be ready to go into detailed answers and beyond. By doing this, the manager can grasp your customer service skills and how open you are and how you do with talking to others. They will ask for specific examples of past experiences and what former employers and friends will say about you.
    Don't lie, managers are trained to ask the right questions to gain insight about you.

Interview Questions

• Why do I wanna work for Hot Topic?
      What type of music do I listen to?
      Name a bad customer service experience and how I fixed it?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Tampa, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

The interviewer held the interview in the food court. She was pretty nice and asked a lot of questions pertaining to how I would react in different situations, like how I would personally deal with a rude customer or a thief.

Interview Questions

• What life experiences could aid you in being a salesperson?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (City of Industry, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Applied online. HR emailed me two weeks later with a very casual and friendly request to discuss my candidacy. Very upbeat and "cool" but professional conversation lasted around 45 min. I was told all about the company culture, the manager's personality and background, the reason the position was open, and a long list of employee perks. Next phone interview with hiring decision maker was arranged for first thing the next morning. That conversation lasted an hour. Directly following that, extensive arrangements were made to meet me in person (from out of town) for the following week. At the HQ, I met HR, managers, directors, and other team members for an in-depth 6 hour marathon day including one-on-one interviews, a tour of the office, in depth explanation of company culture, individual team member working styles, department projects, challenges, short and long term goals. After six hours, the interviews ended when the office began to close for the day. I was told at that time that they were still scheduling other candidates. I was given a 2-week anticipatory decision date. Three weeks after my meetings I was emailed a short note simply indicating they went with another candidate. No detail as to how my candidacy compared, or acknowledging the length and extent they had gone to get to know me.

Interview Questions

• Although no one question stands out as difficult or unexpected, the marathon length of the interview was unprecedented.   Answer Question

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Austin, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

Well I walked in and asked if they were hiring. They gave me an application. They called withing 2 weeks. I went there and they manager already knew I who I was and took me outside on a bench. (Now ladies I would suggest tiny shorts underneath cause it burned ,but I sucked it up) He then asked what anime and music I was into as well as just plain questions like "tell me about yourself." "Why do you think your right for the job?" "Explain your greatest accomplishment."He looked at my purse and said if i was a bf looking at that purse for my gf can you sell me that? I tried. He then said now without telling the assistant manager go in and ask for her and tell her why you want the job and have a conversation with her. He was laid back as was the assistant manager and I have to admit that I am not that way I am EXTREMELY a matter of fact kind of person and am pretty strict on myself I wasn't expecting it all to be so chill. I also wore there product and a random man complimented me on doing that in front of my interviewer. I think that helped. They called within a week asking if I wanted to work at a different location. I said no so we continued on to the next interview. I had 2 different managers there and when I went there was some unexpected time delays so they were not on time so I patiently waited. Another manager then took me out to go meet the last manager I interviewed with. Again very laid back asked me to sell them a imaginary product. Asked about previous job experience. Asked how I would represent there company. Didn't really ask any standard questions. Asked I guess from what I remember why I am good for the job. And later within the week they called and said i got the job at the other place , i accepted anyways cause I love the store and I am passionate about where I work. I really love it. So I am still working it's really nice.

Interview Questions

• To sell a imaginary product to them.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They called I then accepted went in and was trained. Got a schedule and signed in.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

Smart, customer service and sales focused individuals will do well. Throw away your perception that this is a place to work just because of your alternative look, you must be a hard worker, and there is no expectation for aesthetics other than you must be passionate about fashion, music, and social media. The person with normal colored hair and no piercings is going to do better if they are hard working, comfortable with opening conversations with customers than the shy, quiet person with purple hair and stretched ears.

Interview Questions

• Examples of best and worst customer service   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic in March 2011.

Interview

was recruited based on the district manager coming into my store. I was in contact for a while, waiting for a position to open up. When a position did, I went on a first interview with two other store managers. The next interview was with the dm, and the last one was with the rm and the dm via phone.

Interview Questions

• how would you sell the most you can, to as many as you can.   Answer Question

pay

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2009.

Interview

Contacted by email by a recruiter with their interest in me. They may have got my resume from the internet. Monster perhaps. I emailed back expressing that the interest was mutual. Very pleasant conversation for phone screening was small talk. What music did I like? A little bit about myself....etc. Then they will decide if you get a phone interview. With the same person but this one is real interview questions. Strengths, weaknesses. Could I pass a background check, etc. You will know right away concluding this if you will make it further in the process. They will tell you that they are sendinghe your info to a district manager. Within a week you should have a time for a face to face. From there you should know if you have the job but there are several outcomes. You will fill out some background forms and you should expect an offer if you can pass that and a credit check. You may get a second interview if they are on the fence. Or nothing, go brush up on your interviewing skills. Good Luck.

Interview Questions

• 3 Strengths and 3 weakness. I am usually prepared for one of these, but 3 was difficult mostly for weakness.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They offered me a wage and the position and I accepted it. There is no room for negotiation. It is a firm offer.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Forest Park, GA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Forest Park, GA) in June 2007.

Interview

I first overheard from a customer about the hiring. I immediately applied. After a week, I got a call. During the first interview they had 20 people. They asked a series of questions of customer service and how we would address it if there were problems. Most of all, as each interview progressed, people decreased in numbers. Out of 20, there were 8 left from the interview that got hired. It was difficult.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hot Topic (City of Industry, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I initially had a phone interview, then a couple of weeks later had a face to face with the Project manager and Art Director. I came in with a recommendation from a current employee so I felt confident walking through those doors. I initially sent out the necessary post interview emails and waited. About a month went by and I found out they didn't want to hire a Senior position but two junior positions, something to do with the speed of the dept.