Hot Topic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hot Topic Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2017

2.1

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

Very detailed

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

When I was interviewed I was told first thing that I was hired. The manager took me in the back and had a one on one interview with me. We mostly talked about music. It was the easiest and most awkward interview I had ever taken. This was five years ago and the manager was a really terrible person. He really didn't care. He was fired in less than a year. I do the hiring now and it is a longer process in which I get to know who I am letting into my work place to see if they work well with my team and the tasks at hand.

Interview Questions

• I had to fill out one of those "what's right and wrong" question booklets. The ones that ask "if you put an item in your pocket without paying for it, is it consider stealing?"   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

The interview process can sometimes take a while. You may need to meet with a few different managers over the course of a month or so before they make a final decision.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I would absolutely try to negotiate your salary. Hot Topic likes to start on the low end. Take this advice ESPECIALLY if you are getting promoted internally.

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

I was really persistant to work here at the age of 15 and one summer, I finally got the call to come in for an interview. I came in casually dressed in jeans and graphic t-shirt. The manager took me out near the food court and began asking me questions. The interview took about 30 minutes to complete.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer asks for merchandise we don't carry?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Interview

Applied online, then came into the store. The manager interviewed me on the spot. Needless to say, I was flustered.

Interview Questions

• What is a difficult situation that you got your way out of?   Answer Question

Allocation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

The interviewer made me very comfortable, this was an interview over the phone before getting called into for an actual in-person interview. The interviewer had asked a lot of questions pertaining to my background from college and not much from my experience from my previous jobs. I guess this is for them to see if I am considered a possible candidate for them.

Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very standard - it began with a phone screening with HR followed by in person interview at their headquarters. I thought, the way the "in person" interview was handled was rather unprofessional. First of all the hiring manager for whom I was scheduled to interview was a no-show so I ended up only meeting with two people who weren't even hiring for their department. What is the point of having someone come in when the main point of contact is unavailable? The people who interview did not seem prepare for an interview and barely asked me any question pertaining to the position I applied to online.

After the interview I followed up with a HR to ask if she had any feedback for me from the interview, I never got so much as a reply. Very professional.

Complete waste of time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview with 6 of us outside at the tables and the assistant manager asked us questions and we all answered and she said shed contact us in few days if were what they want

Interview Questions

• Why is Hot Topic your job choice?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Hot Topic in August 2010.

Interview

I applied for a Store Manager position with the company. I have been a DM in my last position and really wanted to take a job that would allow me to not travel and take more classes as I pursue my degree. The DM who interviewed me did not follow the 80/20 rule. He completely talked to me for an hour about how he has impacted the company with his skill set and recruiting talent. I respect the fact that he has the ability to choose top talent that will affect the overall performance of the store and district but I was surprised that he did not inquire more about MY experience. He asked me 4 questions total. I was completely thrown off. I don't know if it went this way due to the fact I have been a DM too (?) I was asked to then meet with the RD but declined based on our conversation. I was disappointed because I have a friend who has been a DM for Hot Topic for 2 years and said I would love the company, culture, and music. Still would be open to working for the company 100% just not with this particular person. I don't think he could have helped me to learn and grow within that position and I don't think I would have respected him as my supervisor.

Anonymous Employee in Woodbridge, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Woodbridge, VA) in November 2010.

Interview

This interview was the easiest I have ever been to. They asked questions like, "What do you know about pop culture?" "How do you find out about pop culture?" "Do you have any previous work experience?" "What is your favorite band or musician?" The whole interview is about being personable, friendly, and at least semi-knowledgeable about music. As long as you talk and smile a lot, and name some interesting bands, you should get the job. I was in an interview with five people, two of which were much more experienced than me, and out of the interview only one other person got hired, and he had no work experience as well.

Interview Questions

• Who is your favorite band?   1 Answer
    • How would you stop someone that is stealing from the store?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Chance for a raise comes after 1 year.