Hot Topic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 12, 2017

2.1

Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Portage, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview took place in the food court. For the most part the questions were all very basic and were very easy to respond to. The only out of the ordinary questions were the few I was asked about pop culture. The manager was very, very friendly as were the sales associates in the store. I was told that there were several more interviewers scheduled and I would be contacted within a couple of days if the district manager wanted to interview with me. I was called back. Initially an in person store interview was scheduled, but was switched to a phone interview last minute due to schedule conflicts. The district manager more or less just wanted to speak to me to see how I reacted to the job description.

Interview Questions

• Where do you get your pop culture news?   1 Answer
    • What is a little known artist or band that you would like everyone to know about?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Springfield, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

I called and then applied online and went to the store the next day and applied in person also. The process took only five days and I started as soon as the interview was over.

Distribution Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Nashville, TN) in April 2017.

Interview

We did a brief interview over the phone and then a brief, friendly interview in person. Interviewer was very nice, very laid back. Explained job process well. 3rd interview I've been on where interviewer does not have a handle on included benefits such as insurance, vacation, etc. This is just as important as wages.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Miami, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online, got called a week later, and then showed up. We sat in a food court and he asked me some questions and made some sexist and offense remarks.

Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Katy, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Requested an application in-store and turned it in a week later. Was called in about two weeks later and had an interview with an assistant manager. She passed on my resume to the store manager and after an interview with her, I received a call the next day offering me the job and setting up an orientation.

Interview Questions

• What role would you feel most comfortable in the store doing?   1 Answer
    • How do you expose yourself to pop culture?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

It was simple enough, and painless as well. I went in for an interview and they asked me questions about music and pop culture as well as customer service. I waited a few days and got a call with a job offer. I decided that I would take the job offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Lafayette, IN) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and after a week of no answer, I called the store. It turns out the online applications weren't working properly, so I was invited to fill out an application in the store. I showed up and put in my application, and I scheduled an interview right then. When I went for the interview, it seemed to go smoothly, with the interviewer even saying I had the look and seemed to enjoy the store. She told me she'd get in touch with me if I got the job, but I never heard anything after that. I don't have any negative feelings, I just wish they would notify when they decide they're not going to hire you, because I was anxiously watching my phone the entire next week.

Anonymous Employee in Coral Springs, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Coral Springs, FL) in January 2013.

Interview

You fill out an application online and then print it out and bring it to the hiring manager. Once you get set up for the interview, you are expected to look the part. It helps if you fit in with the atmosphere and the rest of coworkers and the alternative lifestyle.

Interview Questions

• What are my favorite bands?   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

I had a group interview, there was three other potential employees with me. The manager sat us all down and asked questions then had us all answer the question one by one. The trickiest part was that what you wanted to say to answer was almost always taken by another person if you weren't asked first. So on the fly having to think of an original answer was a bit of a struggle.

Interview Questions

• What type of music are you interested in?   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Henderson, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Henderson, NV) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied before the holidays,and two days later I got a call for an interview. I went to a group interview at the end of the week and then advanced to a second group interview the next day. Got a call with a job offer the next day. I then accepted the job.The questions were very easy and were more so aimed to find out how versed you are in pop culture and music. It helps to throw in a lot of information about how you want to connect with the customers by trying to find out what they want to buy.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about hot topic?
      What do you think is the key to selling products?
      Answer Question