Hot Topic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 6, 2017

2.1

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

It was an hour long group interview with 5 other people and the interviewer being the manager. I came wearing a flash button up, from hot topic, and dark pants. Wearing what i would normally wear which fits with thier lenient dress code. They stated just nothing offensive or anything that "singles out a group". After the interview they ask if you have any questions which we asked a few. Being my first job if hired, I got a call about 4 days later bring the manager extending the job offer and me happily accepting. Despite being against people with more experience than me and having a better social image than me because I have bad anxiety I got the job. There could be other showing factors that cause this but I believe that Hot Topic, well mine at least, values compassion towards music and character. So as cheesy as it sounds, be yourself and you should be fine.

Interview Questions

• What would you do is you see a co-worker struggling?   1 Answer
    • Tell me something about yourself and why you want to work at Hot Topic?   1 Answer
    • What is good customer service?   Answer Question
    • Why do people shoplift?   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Riverside, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I put in an application online and was called about 2 weeks later. It was a group interview and there was a total of 6 of us. I was hired the same day but once I went in to sign the paperwork and was supposed to call for my hours I could never get an answer was told to keep calling back. I called every day for 2 weeks and nothing.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Minimum wage job no negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hot Topic in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and got a call for an interview about 3 days later. The interview was pretty simple for the most part. The manager and i got along pretty well and even talked about some shows we both liked. It was a pretty chill interview for the most part.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

I applied in July 2015 and it took about 2 weeks before a got a call. They called me on a Tuesday and then asked me to come in for an interview that Friday. When I arrived for the interview I saw that there were at least 8 other people there, that was my first time experiencing a group interview.After the group interview, I received a call a day later asking if I could come in for a second interview with the store manager. I went in and spoke with the manager, he asked me retail related questions and then offered me the job.

Anonymous Employee in Naples, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Naples, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

The manager hesitated to interview me because "I was one of those girls who talked to her boyfriend" but my friend who recommended me convinced her that I wasn't interested in him. After that, the interview was friendly- I was asked the typical interview questions. Like my experience, skills and other jobs.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work there.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Jensen Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Jensen Beach, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

Very easy and casual. A lot of emphasis on what kinds of music and other media you like, how familiar you are with the company, and general customer service questions. At least two references were required. I received an offer by phone the next day.

Interview Questions

• What was the most memorable service experience you've had as a customer?   Answer Question

Warehouse Worker Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

Well it was a matter of taking the position or not. They just explain benefits, shift, and schedule. They wanted to go me Monday thru Friday 40 hour schedule with mandatory weekends and overtime. I immediately rejected, seeing as that was too much, especially for a company that targets the people into subculture and against the status quo with heavy interest in rock music. I thought it was hypocritical and too much work.

Interview Questions

• Can you mandatory weekends and overtime?   1 Answer

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

I was shopping one day and the store manager had already seen me there once or trice. We chatted each time she worked when I visited. On one occasion, the manager asked what I was up to and I informed here that I was job searching. She told me I was "totally cool" and asked me if I wanted a job. I filled out the application and she ensured me I would be hired after the interview process. We sat at table just across from the store and we literally had the time of our lives. I started the following week.

Interview Questions

• Well, six years ago, I am certain it was the the typical interview question selection: have you every stolen from an employer; what is you work experience; how long have you shopped here and what was your first experience like; what makes you unique and what are your strengths/qualities; etc? I might've even been asked about my favorite bands, artists, and pop culture items.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic in July 2016.

Interview

I arrived to the mall about 15 minutes before my interview and headed to the Hot Topic store. When I got there I was greeted by the hiring manager. She took me and three other people to the food court and we all sat around a table and answered her questions one by one.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Hot Topic?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you saw a co-worker stealing?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if you saw a friend stealing from the store?   1 Answer
    • How long have you shopped at Hot Topic?   Answer Question
    • What was the last movie you saw?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Louisville, KY).

Interview

I applied online and got a call for an interview about a week later. I sat down in the food court with the store manager for the interview. He asked questions for about fifteen minutes, and then we went into the store. We role-played different customer situations to see how I would react to them, and even had me talk to a few customers to try to help them pick stuff out.

Interview Questions

• What kind of music, movies, and tv shows do you like?   1 Answer
    • What does customer service mean to you?   1 Answer