Hot Topic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hot Topic Interview Questions

Updated May 12, 2017

2.1

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hot Topic in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online and it was a new Hot Topic about to open. I applied in January and received a call in March. I went into the store and was interviewed by the Manager. She was very polite and fun to be around. We sat in the foodcourt and she began the interview process by getting to know me. It was more of a friendly convo then an interview. She reviewed my application and loved that i knew Spanish fluently. At the end i also met the assistant manager and also had a friendly convo.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you received bad customer service?
      Why Retail?
      What are some of your favorite shows/movies/music?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

My advice is to prepare anyway but be yourself and have fun. Dont dress fancy. Dress like how you would work there. I wore a Spirited Away Sweatshirt and blavk jeans. She absolutely loved it

FT Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

Great. The store manager took the time to really get to know me and find out my interests and goals to see if i was inline with the companies vision.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Dayton, OH) in February 2016.

Interview

It was very detailed and personable.
    Be ready to go into detailed answers and beyond. By doing this, the manager can grasp your customer service skills and how open you are and how you do with talking to others. They will ask for specific examples of past experiences and what former employers and friends will say about you.
    Don't lie, managers are trained to ask the right questions to gain insight about you.

Interview Questions

• Why do I wanna work for Hot Topic?
      What type of music do I listen to?
      Name a bad customer service experience and how I fixed it?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Kansas City, MO) in February 2016.

Interview

Told I would get a call back, never did.I really didn't appreciate being stood up. They could have just said that they would possibly call me back, but the fact that I was told I was being called at a specific day and time only to be stood up pissed me off. I hope that other people have had more possitive encounters.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Rochester, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

Usual questions, a lot of talk about what hot topic is as a company. Be prepared and wear something rock oriented that is also fashionable. Always make sure that you know what they sell, have a few favorite bands ready to rattle off, and impress the interviewer by knowing a bit about the bands merch that we sell in store.

Interview Questions

• What influences your style, and what do you think our customers are interested in?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

The interview questions consisted of questions related to you, and your interests. They do ask a couple of questions of your past work experience, but nothing to detailed. They really emphasize pop culture, so if you don't really watch shows, and you listen to One directions, you more than likely won't hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• 1. What shows do you watch?
      2. What is your favorite band?
      3. How would you describe your style?
      2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

It took one day to process my application, I applied online. I got a call the next day, then was asked to come in for an interview later that week, I accepted.

Interview Questions

• What type of music/movies/shows do you like, have you been to any concerts, what would you do if you saw a coworker stealing. Stuff like that.   Answer Question

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2015.

Interview

I met up with the managers in the store and I met a few people who were getting interviewed as well. Once we all got there, we headed to the food court and sat at a table. It was a group interview. They asked us questions and went around the circle for answers and at the end, they put an item in front of us and said to sell it to them. It was really fun and super chill.

Interview Questions

• why do people steal?   1 Answer
    • If you saw a co worker struggling to complete a task, how would you help them?   Answer Question
    • if you saw someone stealing, what would you do?   1 Answer
    • what's your favorite character we sell in the store?   Answer Question
    • what's the last movie you watched?   1 Answer
    • why hot topic?   1 Answer
    • best and worst customer service you've experienced?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

I filled out an online application and received a phone call a few weeks later inviting me for an interview. I scheduled the interview for the next day and was told to bring a filled out paper application. I went in for the interview at the mall and I waited around the store for the manager to get ready for us (it was a group interview with 3 other people). He led us to the outside of the mall where the trash is (kinda weird) and we stood in a circle as he introduced himself and had us do the same. It was a pretty laid back interview, just basic questions.
    He said that if we got the job we would get a call by by the following Wednesday (a week later), as he had to speak to the other store manager before making a decision. The interview was yesterday so I don't know if I got the job, but I doubt it as I didn't fit in with the "look" (in my own opinion).

Product Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very standard - it began with a phone screening with HR followed by in person interview at their headquarters. I thought, the way the "in person" interview was handled was rather unprofessional. First of all the hiring manager for whom I was scheduled to interview was a no-show so I ended up only meeting with two people who weren't even hiring for their department. What is the point of having someone come in when the main point of contact is unavailable? The people who interview did not seem prepare for an interview and barely asked me any question pertaining to the position I applied to online.

After the interview I followed up with a HR to ask if she had any feedback for me from the interview, I never got so much as a reply. Very professional.

Complete waste of time.