Hot Topic Key Holder Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hot Topic Key Holder Interview Questions

2.2

6 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Portage, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Portage, MI) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview took place in the food court. For the most part the questions were all very basic and were very easy to respond to. The only out of the ordinary questions were the few I was asked about pop culture. The manager was very, very friendly as were the sales associates in the store. I was told that there were several more interviewers scheduled and I would be contacted within a couple of days if the district manager wanted to interview with me. I was called back. Initially an in person store interview was scheduled, but was switched to a phone interview last minute due to schedule conflicts. The district manager more or less just wanted to speak to me to see how I reacted to the job description.

Interview Questions

• Where do you get your pop culture news?   1 Answer
  • What is a little known artist or band that you would like everyone to know about?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Hot Topic

Key Holder Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

Easy, general questions about self and retail. Asked me about my favorite music, movies, etc. Asked me about my background. I had no prior retail experience, so I mostly used common sense and was fine.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Detroit, MI) in April 2014.

Interview

Very fun and straight to the point. She explained to me what HT stands for and what She as a manager is looking for with her employees. She also explained she likes her employees to know about everything music,movies,comics,disney

Interview Questions

• I honestly don't remember the questions but they were very average   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Alpharetta, GA).

Interview

It was a three step hiring process. First was a phone interview with basic questions to make sure you could meet the requirements for the job, like availability. The second was an in person interview at the store. I didn't want to be cliche and wear goth style clothing with heavy makeup because that's not my personal style. I wore black Jessica Simpson Jeggings, an Eye of Providence type simple black tank, with a gold cardigan. The questions ranged from my understanding of Pop Culture to how I would handle a chaos environment. The third interview was another phone interview with the district manager because she could not make it to the store for a face-to-face. More basic questions. Overall it was a very inviting atmosphere with probably the most comfortable people to work with. If the job met my criteria I would have loved to work there.

Interview Questions

• What makes you different than the other 12 applicants I interviewed?   1 Answer
    • What does Pop Culture mean to you?   1 Answer
    • How do you handle an adult, like a father, who brought his daughter in to shop?   1 Answer

The hours were too shady and the pay didn't warrant trying to make it work.

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Virginia Beach, VA) in April 2013.

Interview

My interview process was quite long. I interviewed at a bunch of different stores, they knew they wanted me but all the stores in the area needed some management so they where trying to figure out where to put me. I went through 3 or 4 interviews. I was asked a lot of normal job interview questions,along with a bunch of questions about my interest and music taste. This was one of the few interviews where I could relax and be myself.

They also take you in the store, they pick up items that customers might be interested in and ask you to suggest other things based off of what they picked up. (Example - Someone picked up a Pantera t-shirt, what other item might you suggest to go with it?) So familiarize yourself with the merchandise so you can make suggestions accordingly.

At one point the hiring manager pretended to steal some merchandise and tried to walk out of the store to see how I would react.

As far as what to wear, be yourself. I prefer to dress up a bit, so I wore some of their "Dressier" clothes. (Like button down shirts for guys, or cardigans for girls. Just make sure it's your style) However, we hired plenty of people who just showed up in jeans and band t-shirts.

The hiring process was easy compared to the interviews. First day was mostly reading and paperwork. Even though I wasn't hired as a cashier they still had me read the sales associate hand book so I could familiarize myself with company policy and how things work.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question would've been "What would you do if someone you knew stole something?" This is purely because they interviewer did not want a typical response.

Another thing that caught me off guard during the second part of the interview was they asked me to greet them as if they where a customer. This was unexpected so I kind of flubbed it a little. When you show up for the interview, look at their tower or sale signs. Then say "Hello! While you're looking around all our t-shirts are buy one get on half off!" (Or whatever sale is currently going on. Make sure to be energetic, it helps to practice before the interview)   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, they're pretty set on what they offer you.

Key Holder Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hot Topic in October 2009.

Interview

I went into a store near where i live to drop of my application the store manager looked over my app in front of me and offered me a job interview on the spot. we set up a day for me to come back. On the day of my interview we went to a different area of the mall where we could sit down and talk (which is not uncommon) the interview lasted about an hour. you know an interview is going well when the interviewer just keeps on talking to you after all the "official" questions are out of the way and they just want to find out about you. I was asked about music, pop culture in general, my previous work experiences etc. After which i was told that they really like me and i would be meeting with the DM and to expect a phone call from them to set up a second interview. I was super stoked! took about a week but i had gotten a call from the DM and we set up a second interview this time it was at another mall not the same one where i interviewed previously (also pretty standard...just depends on which location is closest to where the DM lives or where they happen to be visiting said day) the DM interview was pretty tough i thought i had epically failed when it was over. this interview also lasted about 45 minutes to an hour so i was not quite sure. but i ended up getting the job in fact it was for a better position than i had applied for so thats was awesome.

Interview Questions

• how do you find out about new music?   1 Answer