Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 20, 2017

2.0

83 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic (City of Industry, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online and in person. A couple days later I got a call for an interview. It was a group interview so it was 3 of us. It was the girl's first time doing an interview and she was very nice. The group interview however did not feel so confident sine you have to find a way to better the others. I felt I did a really good job putting myself out there. The interview itself was no longer then I'd say 10 min.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Hot Topic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (New York, NY).

Interview

One of the worst job interview experiences I've had in a long time. The manager/person that interviewed me acted so unprofessional and condescending the whole time I dealt with her so in a way I'm glad I didn't get hired, because I can't imagine what she'd be like working under her.

Anyway the process was easy enough, I walked-in and said I was I interested in applying. She was mainly focused (more like annoyed) that I didn't have sales experience but I told her not only when I walked in but during the interview that I've had many years of customer service experience, but I wanted to start developing some sales experience.

I gave my resume on a Tuesday and got interviewed on Friday. All the questions were only about my past experience and one about pop culture. I received a call the next Tuesday about my hours so I thought she was interested.

Never heard back. A week later,
    I called to follow up and she acted SO condescending again over the phone saying, "Uh, can I help you?" What other reason would I have to call you but to follow up? I didn't get the position and honestly don't think I would apply at that location ever again.

Just because you're a busy manager doesn't mean you treat the people that are taking their time as well to interview for positions like they're nothing.

Interview Questions

• How do you find out about the latest in pop culture and what aspects of pop culture do you know?   Answer Question
    • What is your past customer service experience?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable selling credit cards?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Springfield, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

I called and then applied online and went to the store the next day and applied in person also. The process took only five days and I started as soon as the interview was over.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Miami, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online, got called a week later, and then showed up. We sat in a food court and he asked me some questions and made some sexist and offense remarks.

Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Katy, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Requested an application in-store and turned it in a week later. Was called in about two weeks later and had an interview with an assistant manager. She passed on my resume to the store manager and after an interview with her, I received a call the next day offering me the job and setting up an orientation.

Interview Questions

• What role would you feel most comfortable in the store doing?   1 Answer
    • How do you expose yourself to pop culture?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Lafayette, IN) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and after a week of no answer, I called the store. It turns out the online applications weren't working properly, so I was invited to fill out an application in the store. I showed up and put in my application, and I scheduled an interview right then. When I went for the interview, it seemed to go smoothly, with the interviewer even saying I had the look and seemed to enjoy the store. She told me she'd get in touch with me if I got the job, but I never heard anything after that. I don't have any negative feelings, I just wish they would notify when they decide they're not going to hire you, because I was anxiously watching my phone the entire next week.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview

Called the store and asked to speak with a hiring manager then asked the hiring manager if they were hiring. They asked what my experience was then asked if i could come in that day. Went in and browsed around the store till i got to speak with the manager. She was very nice. Everyone in that store was very nice. We talked for literally like 5 minutes. Felt like a conversation with a friend. She basically just asked why i want to work there/availability and said she liked the fact i had sales experience. Then said she'll give me a call tomorrow and let me know. (Fingers crossed) but since the interview was so short idk.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Irvine, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

Group Interview for Seasonal Hire, Very friendly discussion. There were 3 of us interviewing and one manager. It was quick and painless. The manager was mostly getting a feel for our personalities and ability to deal with high volume customers during the holidays.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Forks, ND

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Grand Forks, ND) in November 2016.

Interview

I had to fill out a paper application and deliver it to the store, as the online application is messed up and won't work. I then had to wait almost two weeks to get a phone call to set up an interview. We went to another part of the mall to have a 1:1 interview. Then they took forever to get back to me and then they told me that they already filled the positions, but I see them posting on Indeed how they still need help in the areas that they said that they'd saved my application for.

Interview Questions

• Q. How do you find new music/what are your favorite bands?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a group interview with 6 of us outside at the tables and the assistant manager asked us questions and we all answered and she said shed contact us in few days if were what they want

Interview Questions

• Why is Hot Topic your job choice?   1 Answer