Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 17, 2017

2.0

92 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2017.

Interview

they did a group interview they were really nice and energetic. They sat us down and gave us 2 mins to talk about ourselves. They get back to you really fast over all great experience

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Hot Topic

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Glendale, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I went to turn in my application in-person and immediately had a mini interview with the assistant manager. Later the same day the store manager called me and said that he would like to set up an interview with me and 5 days later was my interview and it went smoothly. Unfortunately I did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Hot Topic?
      Why should I hire you?
      Name your top 5 bands.
      What's your favorite food?
      What is the difference between customer service and selling?
      What stores do you shop at?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Irvine, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Went in for an interview, turns out I was told the wrong day. Along with who knows how many other people. The girl taking our names was extremely rude and yelled at us like it was our fault her fellow manager told us all the wrong day. She had people coming in all day asking about interviews but I’m a little surprised that by maybe the 5th person she didn’t call that manager and let him know so someone could call people and make sure they didn’t think it was yesterday. And she really didn’t need to be rude about it, it wasn’t our fault. I have social anxiety and she just made me feel horrible about myself by yelling at me to speak louder and tell me that manager wasn’t even working that day. So, I won’t be going back even if they do want to reschedule. Horrible way to treat people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hot Topic (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview and they asked mostly questions about pop culture. The interviewers were kind and nice and said we would be in contact soon . All in all it was a very positive experience and I hope I get the job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of Industry, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hot Topic (City of Industry, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online and in person. A couple days later I got a call for an interview. It was a group interview so it was 3 of us. It was the girl's first time doing an interview and she was very nice. The group interview however did not feel so confident sine you have to find a way to better the others. I felt I did a really good job putting myself out there. The interview itself was no longer then I'd say 10 min.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (New York, NY).

Interview

One of the worst job interview experiences I've had in a long time. The manager/person that interviewed me acted so unprofessional and condescending the whole time I dealt with her so in a way I'm glad I didn't get hired, because I can't imagine what she'd be like working under her.

Anyway the process was easy enough, I walked-in and said I was I interested in applying. She was mainly focused (more like annoyed) that I didn't have sales experience but I told her not only when I walked in but during the interview that I've had many years of customer service experience, but I wanted to start developing some sales experience.

I gave my resume on a Tuesday and got interviewed on Friday. All the questions were only about my past experience and one about pop culture. I received a call the next Tuesday about my hours so I thought she was interested.

Never heard back. A week later,
    I called to follow up and she acted SO condescending again over the phone saying, "Uh, can I help you?" What other reason would I have to call you but to follow up? I didn't get the position and honestly don't think I would apply at that location ever again.

Just because you're a busy manager doesn't mean you treat the people that are taking their time as well to interview for positions like they're nothing.

Interview Questions

• How do you find out about the latest in pop culture and what aspects of pop culture do you know?   Answer Question
    • What is your past customer service experience?   Answer Question
    • Are you comfortable selling credit cards?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, VA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Springfield, VA) in May 2017.

Interview

I called and then applied online and went to the store the next day and applied in person also. The process took only five days and I started as soon as the interview was over.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Miami, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online, got called a week later, and then showed up. We sat in a food court and he asked me some questions and made some sexist and offense remarks.

Anonymous Employee in Katy, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Katy, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Requested an application in-store and turned it in a week later. Was called in about two weeks later and had an interview with an assistant manager. She passed on my resume to the store manager and after an interview with her, I received a call the next day offering me the job and setting up an orientation.

Interview Questions

• What role would you feel most comfortable in the store doing?   1 Answer
    • How do you expose yourself to pop culture?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hot Topic (Lafayette, IN) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online, and after a week of no answer, I called the store. It turns out the online applications weren't working properly, so I was invited to fill out an application in the store. I showed up and put in my application, and I scheduled an interview right then. When I went for the interview, it seemed to go smoothly, with the interviewer even saying I had the look and seemed to enjoy the store. She told me she'd get in touch with me if I got the job, but I never heard anything after that. I don't have any negative feelings, I just wish they would notify when they decide they're not going to hire you, because I was anxiously watching my phone the entire next week.