Hotjar Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hotjar Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Hotjar

3.7

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Barcelona (Spain)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hotjar (Barcelona (Spain)) in March 2019.

Interview

The interview has several steps:
1 - 30 min talk with HR
2 - 1-2 hour tech chat
3 - A very hardcore tech test
4 - Presentation of the test to the team (1-2 hours)

The tech is super hardcore but it's super useful, it gives you a taste of what it's like to work at Hotjar (you are even invited to the slack company) and also gives you an opportunity to do real work (you actually get paid for this)
Also, the presentation to the team is super nice to get to explain your approach and not just submit it for someone to review.

PS: the interview is obviously remote, but I can't put remote on city in glassdoor

Interview Questions

• - Data modeling
    - Architecture solutions
    - Preferred programming language
    - Best/worst situations at past jobs
    ...   Answer Question

Hotjar Response

Sep 16, 2019 – VP of Operations

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. We value all feedback and we're delighted to hear you had a positive experience. Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Other Interview Reviews for Hotjar

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Antananarivo (Madagascar)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hotjar (Antananarivo (Madagascar)) in October 2019.

Interview

Apply online, do a 5 minute video answering a couple of general questions about yourself, have an video call with several people from Hotjar, and if all of that goes well, be given a 2-week coding task. Upon completion, present the task and discuss. After that, a call with VP of product to further determine fit, and finally get an offer from Director of Engineering.

Interview Questions

• Other than covering past experience and expertise, mostly focused on explaining whatever choices were made during the coding task.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied for the Senior Software Engineer position. The process was clear from the beginning, although it was not really fast. Everyone was nice and I even received access to their Slack channel to meet other employees.

I got until the last interview, where I implemented a project and defended in front of a couple of engineers. In general, the process was fine but I got the image that they are pushing too hard with their criteria of their ideal candidate. It does not matter if the project works perfectly, is performant or well documented. Just a simple answer during the last interview can ruin the whole process. From my eyes, this was unfair because I could demonstrate with my career experience and open source projects that their opinion may be wrong. However, they just send you an email with the reason why they discarded you and there is no way to demonstrate the opposite.

My feeling considering that this position is open for a really long time, plus a similar experience of a couple of really good engineers that I personally know, is that they are looking for a rockstar or someone out of everyone's league. And sincerely, I am not 100% sure if anyone with those skills would not better go straight to the top IT companies instead of applying for this position.

After all that I just said and because you get paid for all the effort, I would say that the experience was positive.