Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

2.7

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX).

Interview

Screening call from HR, then a videoconference call, then a site visit meeting several team people. I was brought in by an interviewer, and my first serious videoconference review was with hiring manager and VP.

Sales Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial is a brief phone interview with the recruiter. Next is a video interview, You have opportunity to practice a few times before. Once it starts however, you're committed. Just relax and remember to look at the camera and you'll do fine. It's awkward the first time however it gets easier once you do it Then they send you an assessment. Behavioral, grammar and math questions. The math questions were rather difficult.

After you jump through all these hoops, they schedule an onsite interview. 3 interviewers - however it is not a panel. You have an hour with each one, back to back - which is ridiculous for this position. It's not as if it's for a VP job.
    To make this brief, there were just too many hoops to go through, the ball was dropped several times regarding scheduling etc etc. It may be a good company to work for. However it was just extremely stressful getting through the interview process

Contracts Counsel Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I had several phone interviews with multiple people at the business desk on the sales team etc. I thought it was a long, but good process to both make sure I knew what role I was applying for and also to see if I would work well with the different personalities on the team.

Interview Questions

• Typical interview questions such as "why me" for this role or what my expectations were from the company. Also a few direct questions pointing out where my resume had some white space regarding their field/industry. The questions were sometimes tough, but it was clear the interviewers were competent and prepared.   1 Answer

Product Strategy Product Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

HR called me less than a week after I put in my application. I had one phone screening interview and was asked to come back for a second interview 5 days after my initial phone screening. I have not had my second interview yet.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about your work history.
      Why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

Submitted resume online and got selected for phone interview. A brief 20 mins phone interview with HR regarding resume and past experience. She also asked some behavioral questions such as what's your strengths? What would you want to learn from this job? etc. But she kept typing when I was talking, I kept hearing the typing sound. The next day I got email from her that this position has been hold.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX) in March 2012.

Interview

They called me back 3 times. Then they took another month to send me an offer. I dismissed them as not interested or badly organized and the only reason I accepted was because my last employer was in worse financial shape. I just wanted a job.

Interview Questions

• Q: If I won the lottery. Would I quit my job?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

Apply online, receive a call from Boston HR, receive a call from the department head, and come in for an in person interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They send you a low offer, you counter their offer, and you meet in the middle, just as any other negotiation. It wasn't that hard, you just have to willing to play the game.

Product Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

Interviewed via phone with first HR recruiter from Ireland. Very good experience at that point. I was then transferred to an HR person in Boston who consistently forgot details during our conversations. She also would neglect to call at a time that I was given. I was brought in for site interviews in Boston with only a few people. When making the offer, the HR Boston rep started out with a bonus and base that was for the wrong grade level! She proceeded to go through the process as if it was her first time. I was very shocked that this size/age of company would have such an inexperienced HR rep for high-level position recruitment.

Interview Questions

• What is the largest number of people that you have managed?   Answer Question

Very concerned about the changes taking place during the process regarding the position. Additionally, I never received a straight answer on basic questions like "how many people report into this position". It seemed that the hiring manager really did not know what she wanted. I did not believe that I could be successful working in an environment with such an inept onboarding process and very confused leadership.

Associate Photo Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied on online and got a phone call to set up a phone interview. About week later, I did the phone interview. The lady who interviewed me was really nice. The interview consisted with basic interview questions like tell me about yourself/experience. She then gave me the rundown about the position which didn't jive well with me. It sounded more administrative then creative. I then took a skills test. I week later I received an email saying that they have decided to more on with other candidates for the position. If they had offered me the position, I would have declined it because the job title didn't match the position.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX) in July 2010.

Interview

Pretty laid back. More behavioral in nature.