Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 2, 2017

2.5

Mass Curriculum Contractor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

HireVue was used for this interview
    There are lots of helpful tips on the HireVue website and GlassDoor was also a good resource to use prior to interview.
    There are sample questions and practice questions that are important to think about before beginning the interview process.

Interview Questions

• There was an emphasis on technology in education and current trends in education   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Portsmouth, NH) in January 2017.

Interview

As an internal candidate the process was more an informal discussion versus a typical standard interview. As the process continues I believe I will also have a more formal interview with the HR team.

Interview Questions

• How does my current role and experience relate to what I see as responsibilities for this new position?   Answer Question
    • Describe best business practices   Answer Question
    • Why am I interested in this position?   Answer Question

Curriculum Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Initial interview is conducted using an automated recording process. You are provided with the question, a specified amount of time to gather your thoughts, and then record your response. The recorded responses are evaluated and then it is determined if you will progress to the next level in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• How you utilize skills and tools to achieve the desired end result and problems encountered.   Answer Question

Senior Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Quick and efficient interview process. It was, literally, one week from first "face-to-face" interview to the time I received the offer. In my case, the interviews were all done via phone (with HR) or via Skype (for manager and above). HMH was also respectful of my time and scheduled interviews around my time - which is good when you're already working in a full-time capacity. Communication with both HR and hiring manager was excellent and efficient

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company?   1 Answer
    • Why are you looking to leave your current position?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

At first, they ask me to solve 2 algorithm questions then ask me several questions about OOP and understanding for several common data structure. Before end, they ask me some common commands of command line tool.

Interview Questions

• 1. Find the median from a list.
      2. Print out a triangle.
      1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

Long and slow despite being contacted quickly and completing a phone interview and HireVue screening within 10-days of applying. In total, it took four months to hear from HR they were "moving forward" internally from when we had initial contact. During this time, I reached out to HR twice asking for a status update but they never responded.

Interview Questions

• What are you most proud of? How have you managed difficult colleagues and/or clients? What do you like best about what you do? Tell me about yourself and why you would be a good fit for this job?   Answer Question

Front-End Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Patently laughable. I was contacted by an internal recruiter who spoke very highly of my linkedin profile. She insisted that I should apply to not one, but two positions, and as promptly as possible, as she made it sound like they were really sweating my skill set. I applied within the hour, and heard back within the hour with positive feedback, and was requested to do an online video interview. At first, I thought I had something when the recruiter got back to me so quickly, and told me they wanted to "fast track" the process. That should have been my first clue to run like hell. I was given a link to Hirevue, a video interviewing tool which looked ancient at best. The one-way video interview asked softball questions that warranted stupid answers. Mind you this was all happening very fast, and on the same day. So I record my answers to the questions using hirevue, and sent a nice note to the recruiter saying I completed it. Then silence. I didn't hear anything back for three days. When I did finally hear back, she told me they decided to promote an internal developer for one of the positions I applied for. Who even does that? Who tells the candidate the company decided to promote an internal developer unless their intent was to make you feel like a waste of space? I read the reviews on here and apparently this is not the first time they've done this. This company is shady, and if you value your skills as a developer, stay as far away as possible.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a deep copy and a shallow copy?   Answer Question

Scrum Master Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a phone screen which was just a quick call to tell me that I would get a link to a video interview. The entire interview was through HireVue - a one-way video interview tool. I was asked 8 questions (6 of which were video). It was a very uncomfortable process with no chance to re-record the 3 minute answers.

I received a rejection email in error - so that was a bit stressful. The process is still in progress. I will update once process is complete.

Interview Questions

• A detailed question about how to estimate work in Agile   Answer Question

Contract Devop Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

It was the softest interview I've ever had ... the initial talk with the manager just chatted a little bit about the role and my experience and I passed to the technical interview later in the week ... that part was also easy as pie! I couldn't believe I got the job after just this minor conversation and a similarly quick technical chat, the question below being the main one that I had to answer.

Interview Questions

• When did you learn Chef and how did you know about it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I just asked for $85/hour w2 with the recruiter and they didn't push back much but accepted quickly.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Firstly I got an email within two days of my application. Then they sent an interview link which recorded the interview, few generic questions about sdlc, integration with sap and cms, hybris, j2ee. Mostly they were questions, which expected descriptive answers. Then after a week got an email for personal interview. This was with 4 people back to back. Grilled me technically. From Basics to advanced. Very few situational questions, which I was expecting lot more since it is a senior position. They were expecting very basic and core stuff to be remembered from a seasoned developer. Overall, nice people and fairly good interview.

Interview Questions

• Each one of them asked about OOPS - polymorphism   1 Answer