Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

2.5

31 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA).

Interview

If you are qualified, HR sends a link to their Montage system where they prescreen you on video:
    "...The system will give you a few sample questions to prepare your system, camera, etc. The interview should take no more than 30 minutes to complete (there will be between 5-10 questions; with 3 minutes to answer each question). You may stop or pause the process at any time and revisit later, if necessary."

The rejection letter was boilerplate and HR did not provide feedback. I've been selected several times and have yet to be invited for a face-to-face interview. Red flags everywhere.

Interview Questions

• The questions were standard design queries that anyone with experience could easily answer.   Answer Question

Regional Curriculum Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

Shortly after submitting a resume through HMH's website, I was contacted for an initial video interview through HireView. You were asked questions and had to respond. It was only you and the questions. You were given 3 chances to respond before submitting that response. Three weeks later, I was asked to a formal interview over a Skype-like video system. There were 2 people interviewing and it lasted an hour. A week later, I was asked to send in a video presentation that was 10-15 minutes long. About another week after that, I was offered the job when meeting in face to face with the person who interviewed me. He offered me the job and I accepted!

Interview Questions

• Have you ever coached or trained any one and how did it go?   Answer Question
    • What is your dream job and how could you achieve it with this company?   Answer Question

Mass Curriculum Contractor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

HireVue was used for this interview
    There are lots of helpful tips on the HireVue website and GlassDoor was also a good resource to use prior to interview.
    There are sample questions and practice questions that are important to think about before beginning the interview process.

Interview Questions

• There was an emphasis on technology in education and current trends in education   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Portsmouth, NH) in January 2017.

Interview

As an internal candidate the process was more an informal discussion versus a typical standard interview. As the process continues I believe I will also have a more formal interview with the HR team.

Interview Questions

• How does my current role and experience relate to what I see as responsibilities for this new position?   Answer Question
    • Describe best business practices   Answer Question
    • Why am I interested in this position?   Answer Question

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Very straightforward. Apply for a requirement online. They call you within a week and schedule interviews pretty quickly. Interviews are to the limited to the skill they are looking for. More focus is towards the application logic as well as thought process. Technical questions are asked.

Curriculum Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Initial interview is conducted using an automated recording process. You are provided with the question, a specified amount of time to gather your thoughts, and then record your response. The recorded responses are evaluated and then it is determined if you will progress to the next level in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• How you utilize skills and tools to achieve the desired end result and problems encountered.   Answer Question

Senior Instructional Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Quick and efficient interview process. It was, literally, one week from first "face-to-face" interview to the time I received the offer. In my case, the interviews were all done via phone (with HR) or via Skype (for manager and above). HMH was also respectful of my time and scheduled interviews around my time - which is good when you're already working in a full-time capacity. Communication with both HR and hiring manager was excellent and efficient

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our company?   1 Answer
    • Why are you looking to leave your current position?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

At first, they ask me to solve 2 algorithm questions then ask me several questions about OOP and understanding for several common data structure. Before end, they ask me some common commands of command line tool.

Interview Questions

• 1. Find the median from a list.
      2. Print out a triangle.   1 Answer

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

Long and slow despite being contacted quickly and completing a phone interview and HireVue screening within 10-days of applying. In total, it took four months to hear from HR they were "moving forward" internally from when we had initial contact. During this time, I reached out to HR twice asking for a status update but they never responded.

Interview Questions

• What are you most proud of? How have you managed difficult colleagues and/or clients? What do you like best about what you do? Tell me about yourself and why you would be a good fit for this job?   Answer Question

Prefer Not to Answer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Very long and complex process that dragged out for months. I was told that I was the second runner-up and ended up not getting the offer. Started out with an online application, and a few weeks later I was called back. I had to do an online video interview, which was a one-way process (questions were asked to me onscreen and I had to record my answers on camera -- I was not interacting with an actual human). I found this extremely unnerving and unnatural. I also had to submit design samples, which must have been good enough to get me through to the next level. I then had a series of four phone interviews (two with team members and two with supervisors -- each call was an hour long). This was a remote position, so it was not unusual that I didn't have to meet with anyone in person. I enjoyed the interviews, but the whole process overall was the longest I've ever experienced in my career. The video screening interview was horrible.