Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions

Updated May 3, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 197 of over 197 interviews

2.7
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview

Was able to interview with hiring manager, her boss and do peer interviews all in the same day. Most questions were very specific to the role, as they should be, but some were qualifying for culture. Received an offer that evening.

Interview Questions
  • Do you have plans to write the great American novel?
    1 Answer

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview

The interview process was professional and smooth. The environment was friendly and welcoming. The hiring manager asked great questions and introduced the projects that the team was working on very well.

Interview Questions
  • Could you tell us more details of the project you did last year?

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview

The interview process was thorough and straightforward, your typical interview. You meet with one or two team members and the hiring manager. They may do a skill test to determine your aptitude.

Interview Questions
  • What is your level of experience with computer science/ coding?

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview

I submitted my resume and was contacted for a phone screen. The recruiter called 7 minutes late and proceeded to stay on the call for only 6 minutes. He stated he wanted to connect me with a VP for a 2nd interview and to contact him if I didn't hear back within 2 days. Well 3 weeks later he never reached back out and didn't eply to an email or voicemail message. This is by far the worst/least professional representation of a company that I have encountered.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about your experience? (That was the one and only question)

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview

The process was very straightforward. Standard interview process and questions. 2 interviews and the second was a group interview with 3 managers. Easy going and extremely friendly and very low pressure.

Interview Questions
  • Tell us about a time you had to resolve an issue for a dissatisfied customer.
2 people found this interview helpful

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview

Took a very long time for responses along the way. Very difficult to get in touch with people. Process lasted over 2 months. Overall would not recommend this company for its interview process.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in Jan 2021

Interview

Very quick to respond, I heard back within 24 hours of sending my application. Did a phone screen followed by three rounds of 30 minute video interviews with a proofreading test after the first interview. I was also given the opportunity to speak with a HR rep for questions about benefits, PTO, etc, which I found very helpful. The whole process took about 2 months, but that included the holiday season when everyone was off work for about 2 weeks. Everyone I spoke to was kind, professional, and knowledgeable about the position, and I was impressed by how responsive and organized they were.

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview

I had a phone screening, followed by 2 face-to-face interviews (over video - it was during the pandemic), and then had to send in an editorial task. The process was pretty straightforward and HR was great to work with. I will say the process felt a bit slow at time, but I learned after starting that the company was going through some major changes during my interview process.

Interview Questions
  • Why are you leaving teaching and making the jump to the publishing world?
  • What is your experience with technology like and how could you use that in this role?
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Orlando, FL) in Nov 2020

Interview

Long process but very formal, HR Representative always kept me informed the status of my application. The kindness showed by the interviewers impressed me deeply. It was a great experience for me !

Interview Questions
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (New York, NY) in Oct 2020

Interview

An HR recruiter reached out to me about the position and we had a really lovely chat. When I followed up about next steps, I never heard from him again. I've never been ghosted by a recruiter before. Very surprising.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 197 Interviews