Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Staff Software Engineer At Enterprise Data Warehousing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in May 2019.

Interview

The interview process was thorough, quick, well structured, with a good feedback loop between stages. I also felt the interviewers represented the company well and I could get a good feel for the company’s culture, values and what they stand for during the process.

Content Role Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me within a week of applying through their website. After an initial interview had another interview with in-house members. Two weeks in didn't hear anything so I contacted the recruiter who had scheduled the interview and NEVER got a response. Followed up three weeks later with another recruiter and NEVER heard back. It is incredible that an established company like this can ghost candidates as other candidates have mentioned. Especially when they don't know where candidates will end up and people are likely to remember this experience and the people who never got back to them. Being ghosted and not having any emails answered was really unprofessional and telling of their corporate culture.

Interview Questions

• General interview questions like tell me about yourself. Work style.   Answer Question

Director of Information Security Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA).

Interview

Had a phone screen that went well and was told they would be moving forward to coordinate a call with the hiring manager. Received an email asking for availability from the HR coordinator and received not response. After several attempts to connect received an apology that the manager had been on unavailable and was I still interested. Confirmed interest, sent more availability details as requested and heard nothing more, despite following up a couple of times. Position is still posted and been open for several months.

App Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

I applied online through their portal and a few days later received an email from a "Senior Strategic Talent Sourcer" about scheduling a phone call. We settled on a date -- and then he didn't call. Followed up via email, no indication from him that he'd erred, rescheduled -- and then he didn't call that second time either. I suppose this is more on the recruiter than the company ... but the former reflects the latter, no?

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Response

Feb 3, 2020 – Strategic Sourcing Manager

At HMH, we take our candidate experience very seriously and we want apologize for your interview experience.

We hope that you will consider applying for other positions via our career site at www.hmhco.com/careers.

Thank you for your feedback.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

There were several interviews with different managers. There were phone interviews, followed by face to face interview and a bootcamp where we had to present lessons to our peers and managers.

Head of Digital Development and Strategy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Portsmouth, NH) in July 2019.

Interview

Very ad hoc - I met with the general manager via videoconference and phone call, and was flown up to Portsmouth to meet with other people. The conversations went quite well and I received positive feedback.

Unfortunately, after 2 weeks of intensive conversations communication stopped. I have received no emails, phone calls or responses to my inquiries. This was unsettling.

Interview Questions

• How have you navigated moving an organization or a team to digital.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in June 2019.

Interview

There was a phone interview, a video interview (10 questions where I recorded my answers on video), then Webex interviews with 4 different members of the team.

I don't think this was a bad process when you look at the step-by-step, but it took 5 months from initial application to get in the door, which is exceptionally long. I would have loved this process to be faster so I could start my job sooner.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interviews were asking about experience and trying to discern working style and fit. There are no riddles or brain teasers.   Answer Question

Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

I had a brief screening call with someone from HR, like do you need sponsorship. Then I was asked to go through this online video interview session. They ask you to leave a 2-min video in response to questions like, what's your favorite online tool, tell us about a challenge, how did you convince your team to do something. Then they ask for your salary requirements.

I found the whole thing very off-putting and extremely uncomfortable. I am very averse to video calls, and I don't know of many people who find them enjoyable. It took a lot of time and I didn't even get to really discuss the job with anyone to learn more if it was something I'd be interested in pursuing.

I also find it a bit inappropriate to ask about salary information before even discussing the requirements of the job. Like, are there late hours, what's the office like, will there be travel, etc... Probably are weeding people out due to salary.

I saw a lot of negative reviews on Glassdoor, so I'm not too upset I didn't get past this phase of the process.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter. I wasn’t looking for a new job, but I was interested in their E-Learning platform. The interview was impersonal, and the interviewer seemed to forget multiple times during the interview (roughly 55 minutes) pretty significant details about my experience. In short, they reached out to me, showed interest, and then proceeded to “handle” me.

Associate Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Nashville, TN) in March 2019.

Interview

Five steps: first a brief phone screen, then a set of two tests (one timed and about reading and math, the other not timed and opinion), then two follow up in person interviews, then contacted references.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in March 2019.

Interview

February 15, 2019 - I applied online
    March 10 - I was contacted by a recruiter
    March 12 - Recruiter interview
    March 16 - One-way video interview
    March 21 - Hiring manger interview by phone; an editing test followed the interview
    April 4 - Second phone interview with a manager in the department
    April 25 - Received an email saying that I wasn't selected for the position.

Overall, the interview process was drawn out, but I had a positive experience. I didn't have any trouble getting a response from HR or the hiring manager when I asked for an update. The interviews were easy and pleasant, and I enjoyed talking to everyone I came across in this process. I'm bummed it didn't work out.