Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions

Updated Jun 10, 2022

To filter interviews, or .
Found 206 of over 206 interviews

2.8
HardAverageEasy

Featured Interview

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview

Friendly, professional, and warm overall. You'll be asked questions about yourself, your interests, what you'd like to learn, and given a goal for yourself to complete before the end of the internship. Great guidance for up and comers.

Interview Questions
  • What do you want to learn while here?
    Answer Question

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview

HR schedule 3 interviews in one row. The first two are like technical interviews, with learning engineer teams, and the last one is VP interview. No formal presentation nor portfolio is required. Many behavior questions and there is a focus on soft skills.

Interview Questions
  • How did you manage a long-term project? How did you manage to keep deliverables on time?

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,892

960 Comments

Teachers

170K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Interviews&utm_content=Industry-content-integrated-Interviews&utm_term=Houghton Mifflin Harcourt~275
Join the conversation on

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview

Typical They ask questions about your insight into your personality and to determine whether you're a fit for both the job and the company. There was also a presentation for the product

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in Apr 2022

Interview

First, apply for the job. Second, got the first video screening interview asking some behavior questions for about 30 minutes. Third, a second video screening interview will come after a week or so.

Interview Questions
  • Skills, personality, and any challenges in either personal life or academic life.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in Mar 2022

Interview

I went on four interviews. Three out of the four were good. One of the interviewers, lacked interest in interviewing me and nodded off the entire time. The interviewer also appeared disheveled and inebriated.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview

Was called by a person in HR for the interview. Interview was conducted by a male and a female. Notes from the HR person's phone call were clearly visible on the resume that was sitting in front of me at the small table where we were seated for the interview.

Interview Questions
  • Lots of questions about courses taken and how they would prepare for the internship, books read, interests, and interests in the company in particular.

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Application

I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

Interview

2 rounds of interviews. Pretty easy questions that I was able to prep for. The process was pretty painless and made sense. I liked speaking with the different groups. They were timely and and didn't take too long.

Interview Questions
  • Screener type questions and lots of opportunity for me to ask questions

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Champaign, IL) in Oct 2021

Interview

Was great, until it wasn't. I had three interviews over the course of three weeks. The first was a brief screening interview from HR that only took 10 or 15 minutes. Salary range was discussed. That was followed by an assignment that I completed over a weekend. The HR rep was very prompt in getting back to me to set up an interview with the hiring manager after reviewing my assignment. Next was a 30 minute video interview with the hiring manager. I felt this went well, and she asked straightforward questions. The third week I met with two staff people in a 30 minute video interview. Again, everything went smoothly. Overall I was very impressed by the smooth process and good communication from the HR person. The staff and hiring manager all seemed like great people. But then, a week after my final interview I reached out to the HR person on a Friday. I was told they'd have a decision by Monday and I never heard from them again. Then I happened to check their job postings and noticed that the week I (and I'm sure several other people) was having my third interview, they had reposted the job! Sad to see a process that started out so much better than other companies' end in the same unprofessional ghosting and sketchy tactics.

Interview Questions
  • One of the staffers asked me if I was a cat person or a dog person!

Anonymous Employee in Newport, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Newport, RI) in Sep 2021

Interview

Great interview process! There were 2 rounds of interviews. The first round was with the management of the team the position was for. The second round was with upper management and decision-makers. Both rounds required a 10 minute persuasive presentation. Overall timeline from application to offer: 36 days

Interview Questions
  • Please start off by telling us about yourself.
  • Why are you interested in this position?
  • (After 10 minute persuasive presentation) What do you think you did well and what could you have done better during your presentation?
  • Where do you see yourself with HMH in 3 years?
  • Tell me about a project you worked on without direction or prompting.
  • What do you need in a manager?
  • What do you know about the market in California?
  • How do you feel about working with former teachers with different subject matter backgrounds than you?
  • What questions do you have for us that can help us convince you to take this position/seal the deal on your end?
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 months. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (New York, NY)

Interview

Process took months. Very poorly done. Job description not clear. New responsibilities brought on during interview. Spent several hours interviewing with ppl who speaks of DEI but just ended up hiring another person that looks like them.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 206 Interviews

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interviews FAQs

Glassdoor users rated their interview experience at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt as 54.0% positive with a difficulty rating score of 2.76 out of 5 (where 5 is the highest level of difficulty). Candidates interviewing for Content Specialist and Business Analyst rated their interviews as the hardest, whereas interviews for Account Executive and Designer roles were rated as the easiest.

The hiring process at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt takes an average of 27 days when considering 225 user submitted interviews across all job titles. Candidates applying for Software Engineer had the quickest hiring process (on average 16 days), whereas Educational Consultant roles had the slowest hiring process (on average 42 days).

Common stages of the interview process at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt according to 225 Glassdoor interviews include:

Phone Interview: 30.33%