Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 14, 2017

2.7

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX).

Interview

Screening call from HR, then a videoconference call, then a site visit meeting several team people. I was brought in by an interviewer, and my first serious videoconference review was with hiring manager and VP.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

My interview experience was one of the quickest and most efficient processes I've ever had. I heard about the design position through a LinkedIn message from a recruiter. I replied with my interest, so I was quickly set up for a phone interview with a designer in their Orlando office. That same week, I was invited to come in for an in-person interview where I met a senior designer and design director. The interview was very easy-going and conversational - I showed them my portfolio and work and they showed me some examples of the work I would be doing. The same day, I was invited for a second in-person interview the day after. I met some more team members, learning more about the day-to-day work, and got an office tour (the office is really nice and new!). After the weekend, I got an offer on Monday which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Asked questions about my portfolio and thought processes.   Answer Question

Sales Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Austin, TX) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial is a brief phone interview with the recruiter. Next is a video interview, You have opportunity to practice a few times before. Once it starts however, you're committed. Just relax and remember to look at the camera and you'll do fine. It's awkward the first time however it gets easier once you do it Then they send you an assessment. Behavioral, grammar and math questions. The math questions were rather difficult.

After you jump through all these hoops, they schedule an onsite interview. 3 interviewers - however it is not a panel. You have an hour with each one, back to back - which is ridiculous for this position. It's not as if it's for a VP job.
    To make this brief, there were just too many hoops to go through, the ball was dropped several times regarding scheduling etc etc. It may be a good company to work for. However it was just extremely stressful getting through the interview process

Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Kansas City, MO) in May 2017.

Interview

I took a test which included personality, vocab, and math questions. Then I was asked to complete a recorded interview. An app asked me questions and I had thirty seconds to respond.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.

Interview

Consisted of an online assessment which took about an hour. There were several sections that required a calculator and pen/paper to solve. Most questions involved determining percentages. There was also a HireVue interview where questions were posed and you recorded your answers on video.

CE Tech Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt in March 2017.

Interview

Panel interview with conducted by a group of 3 people interviewers (one remote) Sometimes there will even be multiple candidates interviewing at the same time.15 minute interview with general questions. Then they asked if there was any questions I had

Interview Questions

• Describe what you heard about this job? Explain more about the job?What is your greatest strength?What is your greatest strength?Tell me about yourself. Why are you leaving or have left your job?Why do you want this job?   1 Answer

Mass Curriculum Contractor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Boston, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

HireVue was used for this interview
    There are lots of helpful tips on the HireVue website and GlassDoor was also a good resource to use prior to interview.
    There are sample questions and practice questions that are important to think about before beginning the interview process.

Interview Questions

• There was an emphasis on technology in education and current trends in education   Answer Question

Regional Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I was asked to prepare a 10 minute presentation given a Power Point Presentation link and was a bit overwhelmed since we were unable to use the notes attached to each slide. However, upon completing the presentation to the best of my ability, I realized the point of this task in the interview process was to simply see how my presentation skills were. Knowing this would've been great to know beforehand.

Interview Questions

• What is my experience with curriculum at the K-12 level?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portsmouth, NH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Portsmouth, NH) in January 2017.

Interview

As an internal candidate the process was more an informal discussion versus a typical standard interview. As the process continues I believe I will also have a more formal interview with the HR team.

Interview Questions

• How does my current role and experience relate to what I see as responsibilities for this new position?   Answer Question
    • Describe best business practices   Answer Question
    • Why am I interested in this position?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Charles, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (Saint Charles, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Interviewed with immediate Supervisor and Department Head. Very casual, forthright conversational interview. Department head experienced in field and can read people well. It was determined I was over qualified for the position.

Interview Questions

• Why did you apply with Houghton?   1 Answer