Houston ISD Teacher Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 5, 2018

2.9

21 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houston ISD (Houston, TX) in December 2017.

Interview

I interviewed with the Principal of the school. I got to the school fifteen minutes before my designated time. Once there I waited about 40 minutes before being seen, there was some one waiting ahead of me. Once in the Principal was very nice, she told me a lot about her campus, the make up, size, faculty, etc. Gave me a history of herself, ask me a lot of direct questions about myself and experience. Afterwards she introduced me to several staff and faculty members and toured me around the school. A good positive experience, but unfourtunately i haven't heard back from her.

Interview Questions

• Years of experience and what subjects?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Houston ISD

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houston ISD (Houston, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

It wasn't a very difficult interview, but I was not offered a teaching job. The principal was supposed to call me at a certain time, and he didn't. So I ended up calling, and he was busy. The secretary interviewed me. I expected not to get an offer.

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houston ISD in March 2017.

Interview

Applied on line ,name went into the teacher pool and waited for credentials to be reviewed before schools called to set up interviews. The process can take up to four weeks to get an interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Houston ISD (Houston, TX).

Interview

Basic questions. During the interview, the interviewer was pleasant. After she hired me, it was obvious she had severe emotional issues. I wish I knew then what I know now. The interview was easy and comfortable! It was deceptive. The contract stated "and other duties" which meant working on another department doing a completely different role.

Interview Questions

• How long have you been teaching?   1 Answer
    • Why did you leave last job?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Houston ISD.

Interview

I was hired by the principal. She asked me to tell her about my past leading up to the experience I have now. She also asked me about my classroom management skills. She wanted to know how I would handle certain behavioral situations. She also asked how I would plan lessons that would keep the students involved.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Houston ISD (Houston, TX).

Interview

The principal of the school and about 3 members of the administrative staff interviewed me for approximately 30 minutes. I received a call AND A LETTERl some 2 weeks later informing me that I had the job and what I needed to do to get started.

Interview Questions

• How would I form groups for reading? How would I implement differentiated instruction?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Interview

I met with the principle first. After the interview, she showed me around the campus. She discussed who I would be working with if I got offered the job. The next day I interview with 5 people from the campus. It was the general type of interview. They asked questions that you can google.

Interview Questions

• What is your teaching style?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Houston ISD (Houston, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process is long and slow. This is true of all school districts, perhaps, and not specific to HISD. However, if schools really wish to advocate for teachers and future teachers, they should conduct the process more like corporate jobs. Instead, they promise openings that don't exist so they can fish for resumes. Then, they say they will follow up and usually never do.

Interview Questions

• What is your expectation from the administration.   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houston ISD (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I was called by multiple principals in the district to come in for an interview. Interviewed at several schools one time, but interviewed at my favorite school twice and was hired at the second interview. The first interview at Katherine Smith Elementary was with the former principal, Gloria Salazar. After that I was called in for an interview with a panel of administrators and teachers. After about 20 minutes of questions, I was offered the job in front of the panel.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a successful lesson you have implemented in the past?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Houston ISD (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

You start by applying online (do so before late April to meet hiring deadline). You get a phone interview, from that they will send you a contract to sign to work with HISD. Your HR rep then sends you from school to school until a principle decides they would like you to join their team. I had no experience, only applied here and signed the contract. I interviewed at 5 schools. I was told no when interviewing with the schools in May, but in July as the new school year grew closer I got a job offer and even a school which previously rejected me called to offer me a position.