Houzz Interview Questions in Irvine, CA | Glassdoor

2.8

Sort:

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houzz (Irvine, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The hiring manager was 30 min late to both of our meetings. She was uninterested, kept looking around, talked through my resume and didn't really ask me pertinent questions of my time after college. By the end of the first interview, I wasn't too enthusiastic to continue with the process.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Interview

Telphone interview followed by an interview with a Sales Manager. The third interview was with another Sales Manager who looked like she really didn't want to be there. Plus, she was dressed really casually. I understand the dress code is laid back, but maybe if you're conducting interviews, you can dress up a little bit Third interview and she asked me to go over my resume. Thought it was going to be a little bit more in-depth than that.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Houzz (Irvine, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online back in March and a recruiter followed up with me via e-mail to set up a time for a phone interview. It was short, lasted about 10 minutes but was not very substantial. She seem spaced out and asked me questions that primarily centered on my high school involvements and grades (AP classes, AP scores, etc.) which I found very odd, seeing that I was applying as a senior in college.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Houzz (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Submitted my resume and cover letter and received a reply from the recruitment team within 2 days. I had a short phone interview which was really more of a screening about my college GPA, extracurriculars, and work experience. They also asked about my high school GPA and high school extracurricular activities. They scheduled an on-site interview where I had a 30 minute interview with my current boss & a 15 minute interview with her boss. They seemed really interested in my academic performance and other internships/work experience. Overall, a very positive interview experience. I was pleasantly surprised at how fast the entire process was.

Merchandising Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Houzz (Irvine, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Informational interview over the phone then was asked to come in for an in person interview with my potential manager. She asked me a lot about my college experience and even high school, including activities, GPA, favorite classes, etc. Not a lot about previous work experience, mostly focused on school related things. At the end, she brought in her manager to talk with me for a few minutes. She asked me about my first job and we just had some small talk.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Houzz (Irvine, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

There were three interviews, one was on the phone with a recruiter, one in person with HR and one with the sales director who walked me through a sales simulation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Interview

Literally makes no sense what they are looking for, other than people who can at least lie about their GPA in college , and even high school ?? I graduated high school 10 years ago, maybe that made me unqualified in itself. I was contacted by a linked in recruiter, I didn't even make it past that 5 min phone screening stage without receiving an email a couple days later that I had not been selected for a further interview. I've been a high achiever in sales the past 4-5 years and a majority in phone sales, I was ONLY asked questions about my extra curricular activities in COLLEGE and the tiny details on my position at Enterprise of which I worked at for 3 months total and yearsssss ago before my latest position with my highest achievements. I kept changing the subject from college to work even though I knew she wasn't asking those questions but HONESTLY a joke of a phone screening. Maybe worst one I've had. All said and done I would totally understand that maybe I'm just over qualified for the position HOWEVER I told her my income has ranged between 60-75K past 3 years, she countered with that that account executives are making 80K average and 100K plus top performers. How are these entry level job children making 100K when most the reviews are ranting about how insanely underpaid they are? They ARE NOTTTT :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Houzz (Irvine, CA).

Interview

Phone interview
    In person interview
    Role play interview
    Skype interivew

It was an awful experience and i am SO glad I did not get an offer. Especially because I realized that it is NOT a plausible sell so the money just won't be there. 12-month contracts for something that someone has already been using for free?
    Houzz wouldn't even tell me how many clients they have because it's such a meek number. Do you think these business owners have NEVER gotten a call about SEO before? Search engines have their sales people about that and they target their users too and on such a larger scale. Think about it that way and then visualize yourself in front of that phone. Even though they are on Houzz, it doesn't make it a warm call. You're still a stranger selling something.

DON'T TAKE THE JOB. Like lots of .com startups, they will not survive. Not a single person I talked to knew what Houzz was. And I live in Orange County/LA, it's not like we're behind the times.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Houzz (Irvine, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Begins with Open Houzz event, bring your resume! If you make it to the next level you are brought in for more formal interviews. Final interview is usually with CEO or other high up to get final seal of approval. Tough questions but mostly personality based

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Primarily commission based income, no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Houzz (Irvine, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

First attended an Open Houzz (group presentation + 10 minute interview with a Recruiting Manager) and invited back for interviews with Sales Managers and higher ups.

I believe Houzz is a great company with a bright future because its founders have created an innovative and original platform that can be successful for years to come. However, some of the people that I came in contact with during the hiring process were not exactly kind. It was comparable to the rush process for joining a Greek house, as you feel judged and a little uptight. (Don't get me wrong, I was a part of the Greek system back in the day, but I saw a lot of similarities to the process) The first red flag was during the Open Houzz, when we were called in for one on one interviews. After the group presentation, the group was given 5 minutes to ask questions. I noticed a hiring manager roll her eyes when people were asking questions, whispering something into her co-workers ear. She obviously did not want to be there and appeared miserable. That put a bad taste in my mouth. It was my first visit to the office and all the applicants wish for is motivation, during the visit, not negativity or the impression that existing Houzz employees were not happy/talking badly about others. The second red flag was the 10 minute one on one interview. That was difficult because I don't see how anyone can make an impression in 10 minutes. A timer was put on the interviewer's phone. What I took away from the 10 minutes: Houzz expects its employees to come from money and if you don't come from wealth, you are somewhat shunned. Nonetheless, I passed this step. I went in for more personal interviewers with upper management about a week later. These lasted roughly 20-30 minutes each. What I took away from it: the same as I did during my first 10 minute interview...Houzz is not attracted to people who couldn't afford to study abroad or intern for free during university because he/she was working two jobs to put himself/herself through school. Furthermore, the hiring managers I came in contact with did not seem to care about personality or experience or if you have a million connections to the home remodeling industry. It's about what impression you make, when it comes to money and materials. Maybe it's just the Orange County location?

I did meet some amazing people there too. The Recruiting Coordinators were lovely women and worked extremely hard. They were intelligent and extremely helpful. However, the stuck up personalities that I came into closer contact with were a huge turn off and I would not feel comfortable working side by side with these types of people. In the end, the learning lesson was that it isn't about the $$. And Houzz employees don't make enough to be amidst not so genuine people five days per week.

Interview Questions

• -What sports did you play in high school?
      -Did you take any AP classes in high school?
      -How long were you employed at the first job you ever had as a child?
      -Why Houzz?
      -Did you study abroad in college?   Answer Question

Please read my description, please.