Want a Free Job Posting?

Interview Question

Interview Benton Harbor, MI

How have you been involved with strategy development?

Interview Answer

1 Answer

"When I first started at my company, projects would come down from sales with very little direction at all. The entire business case would hinge on one customer that was interested and the salesperson's feeling that they could sell the project. Through collaboration with marketing, purchasing, manufacturing, and engineering, that mindset is changing. We are implementing more rigorous controls that evaluate potential projects and then focus company resources on the most profitable ones. As an example, I recently led the design of a new spring assisted shelving package for FedEx vans that would compete with an existing package currently being installed by a competitor. Through my direction, we did a cost and weight analysis of the competitor's package to give us a target for our design. We also estimated the total development costs and compared it against expected sales for the first three years to make sure the project was viable. We analyzed capacity at the plant and got all key players involve right out of the gate to insure the project's success. The design is now complete and is expected to generate $4 million in annual revenue for the company for the forseeable future with a much higher potential. My contribution to strategic development was from an engineering standpoint, but I realized the importance of seeing the big picture and how the design would fit into the company's overall strategy. By understanding this, I was able to meet key deliverables that were defined early in the project and make the project successful."

Former Whirlpool Engineering Employee on Nov 16, 2012

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.