Delta Air Lines Interview Question: How many basketballs would fi... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Revenue Management Co-op Interview(Student Candidate) Cincinnati, OH

How many basketballs would fit in this room?

Answer

Interview Answer

47 Answers

That depends. Inflated or deflated ?

Anon E. Mouse on Mar 29, 2016

With us staying in the room with the basketballs or with us outside?

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Did you study physics with E.A.Dearolph at Woodward Academy?

zyportre on Mar 29, 2016

Before I answer this question I would like to give more informations:
1. The size of the room
2. Is it empty or not?
3. If not the size of the furnitures
4. The basketballs would be inflated or not
5. The size of the basketballs in bothcases

Konstantinos Loulakis on Mar 29, 2016

Since the position is for a revenue management position, the interviewer will want to see that you can think through the math in a practical way. Don't guess. Instead, think aloud as you work out the answer.

Here's a simple way to get a rough estimate of the number of basketballs that will fit in the room. Estimate the size of the room. Let's say it is about 10' x 10', with an 8' ceiling. Now, estimate the volume required for one basketball. To get a rough answer, don't get fancy with equations and dealing with the shape of the basketball. You may not be sure of the diameter of a basketball, but you have a rough idea. To make the math simple, figure that the ball is about 1' in diameter. The ball is the same width in all directions, so it takes up roughly 1 cubic foot of volume. How many cubic feet in the room? 10 time 10 time 8, or 800. So, there's room for approximately 800 basketballs.

If I were interviewing a candidate for this type of position, I'd be very pleased if the candidate could think through that answer. But if this were a position for a role that involved more sophisticated math, such as a data analyst or engineering position, I would expect the candidate to go further and discuss how the estimate could be improved. The next step would be accounting for the exact dimensions of the room and basketballs. And an engineer should be aware of dense packing arrangements that could fit more basketballs into the room.

Meta S. Brown on Mar 29, 2016

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

PS. I do love the point made in the other answers here - are the balls inflated, is the room empty, etc. All good thinking, good questions, but still your interviewer will want you to actually answer the question.

Meta S. Brown on Mar 29, 2016

if the room is empty, exactly its volume multiplied by 9. If you ask why 9, give it some thought, you'll find the answer in the end ;)

Mr. M on Mar 29, 2016

Bad information is worse than no information. Answer for question like that requires some effort. What resoureces can i have and how much time to perform some data collection?

Witek on Mar 29, 2016

With or w/o air?

WAB on Mar 29, 2016

All of them

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

The valuable real-estate is in my head, not this room. And I look forward to using that real-estate to increase Delta Air Lines' bottom line ;).

But, that's a fun question... this room is 10 ft x 10 ft x 9 ft ceiling height. 900 cubic feet. The average diameter of an NBA Mens basketball is between 9.5" to 9.85". For the sake of calculation, lets say 9.7". Using these figures, we could fit 12.37 (or 12 balls) width wise and length wise in this room, stacking 11.13 (or 11 balls) high. 12x12x11. So, per my calculations, we can fit 1,584 balls in this room.

Amanda on Mar 29, 2016

How many need to fit?

Zach on Mar 29, 2016

I have totally sure that at least one Ball!

Alan E dos Santos on Mar 29, 2016

I can produce as many basketballs as the room needs, so I don't need to know how many. You just need to know that it will be done.

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

What benefit to this organization is it to know how many basketballs will fill it? How many basketballs do you want to fit in this room? I see this as more of a challenge to understand the logic of this being a relative task to the position.

Chris on Mar 29, 2016

Filled with air or deflated? Details matter.

Karen Daly on Mar 29, 2016

i'D SAY THAT'S A REALLY STUPID QUESTION!

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

cannot answer question, if the room was filled with balls, you could not open door to count

scot swartz on Mar 29, 2016

A regulation size basketball has a volume of 455.9 cubic inches. I would then get the width, length and height of the room. Put these dimension in a rectangle cube and calculate the volume. Divide the room volume by the basketball volume then you get the number of basketballs need to fill the room.

Eric on Mar 29, 2016

Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

Enough to break the ice lol

Cory on Mar 29, 2016

Depends on the size of the basketball. Is it marble sized? or one really BIG basketball?

Bobbie Fenton on Mar 29, 2016

Let's find out!

Matt on Mar 29, 2016

A basketball takes up roughly one square foot of space. So, estimate the length, width and height of the room, multiply to get the square footage of the room, and that's (approx) how many basketballs would fit in the room!

Alyssa on Mar 29, 2016

Best answer has been to estimate and multiply - 10'x10'x8' and a 1' ball gives 800.. You have to be able to deal with uncertainty and unknowns. Sometimes an educated, fast guess is better than a drawn out answer. Of course you can always improve the answer but knowing that its around 800 is about as good as knowing that its 1200.

Anonymous on Mar 29, 2016

Why would I fit basketballs in any room?

Anonymous on Mar 30, 2016

Whats the budget? do we need to fill the room?

Anonymous on Mar 30, 2016

(Volume of the room / Volume of basketball) */ Packing Factor (depending on form of packing factor ratio)

Anonymous on Mar 31, 2016

It depends upon the ratio of leprechauns to unicorns.

Anonymous on Mar 31, 2016

I can fit a lot of basketballs in here but the question is how fast do you want it done?

Sarah C. on Apr 5, 2016

One

Danny on May 2, 2016

A basketball is about 25 cm in diameter. That means it has a nominal volume of 4/3*pi*(0.125) m^3, which is about 0.004 m^3. The packing efficiency of sphere is about 0.72, meaning that each ball takes up about 0.005 m^3.

I just looked around my apartment and I think its about 4m x 7m x 3m. or 96 m^3. Divide the two numbers and you get about 4,500 basketballs in my apartment.

Anonymous on May 2, 2016

a lot, stop wasting my time

jordan on Jun 10, 2016

As many as my present bank balance would allow me to buy

Kunal on Aug 11, 2016

One less than what would fit into the room

Krish on Dec 17, 2016

If you filled the room with basketballs, what further use would the room be?

Anonymous on Jan 6, 2017

As many as we can make room for...considering the items currently in the room and the possibility of rearranging those items for maximum displacement...assuming a 10 inch ball...do the balls have to be inflated? Are the balls packaged in some way that we need to take into consideration? Are there items in this room that we can room without negative impact?

Mary on Jan 27, 2017

Are they inflated or deflated - So as many necessary to fill up the room.

Mimi on Mar 9, 2017

And... why would you be wondering about this? ... March Madness???? 8-)

Anonymous on Mar 14, 2017

If knowing the correct answer to this question is needed for this job, then I am not your candidate as I draw pictures for a living.

Anonymous on Mar 27, 2017

All of them!

Mary on Apr 22, 2017

As many as it takes!

Jim Selovich on May 2, 2017

I don't even know how wide or empty the room is heh

Amel on May 15, 2017

That depends, are they inflated or deflated?

Bob on Jun 12, 2017

roof or no roof?

Tracey Rogers on Nov 26, 2017

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.