Kaiser Associates Interview Question: How many passengers leave JFK... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Associate Consultant Interview(Student Candidate) Washington, DC

How many passengers leave JFK airport on a given day.

Tags:
brain teaser
Answer

Interview Answer

19 Answers

Not sure: approx. 100,000?

Interview Candidate on Jun 12, 2009

1.5 million

Airborne on Jun 12, 2009

no matter if they are flying in or out, they all leave

All of them on Jun 13, 2009

My answer would have been the same: "Pretty much all of them!" :)

G.M. on Jun 15, 2009

planes leave, people board.

GBM on Jun 15, 2009

ALL OF EM ! (and to elaborate - The no. of ppl flying in + the no. of ppl flying out --all leave basically some on foot and other on air

Indya dude on Jun 19, 2009

All leave except for Tom Hanks, he stays stuck in "The Terminal"....... (You have to include some humor when you answer :)

Tim Besse on Jun 25, 2009

50k

Keith Jack on Jun 26, 2009

how is this a brain teaser?

Fact on Jun 26, 2009

This question tests how you think critically. In this example, you could start with estimating that JFK has about 100 gates, and that a plane leaves from a gate every 3 hours, totaling 800 flights per day. Guessing that the average plane holds 200 passengers, you arrive at 160,000 per day departing.

The interviewer is not as interested that you get the right, or even close, answer, but rather the thought process you go through to figure it out. For those that are interested, the real number is about 131,000 per day based on statistics from 2007.

Robert on Jun 27, 2009

the question was "How many passengers leave JFK airport on a given day.?" my answer is the (number of people arrives that day )+( the employees work there (except for the security guards)) after all no-one stays on the airport forever

X-coded on Jun 29, 2009

The answer is the thought process, as above. Personally, I'd have started with the number of flights: flight frequency per runway * runways * open hours. Assume half are leaving, then guess the number of passengers per plane.

I might also point out that the number of assumptions multiplied together in that calc is such that you're unlikely to be within an order of magnitude of the right answer...

Ben on Jul 1, 2009

Tim Besse stole my answer! And I thought I was the only one who thought of that.

Seriously though, if I was asked this question in an interview I would answer "probably about half" figuring that half the flights are departing and half are arrivals, similar to what another poster stated. Depending on the position you are interviewing for they may be impressed by you going through a long critical calculation, I don't know. In my line of work, character is more important that pure intelligence.

Eric on Jul 7, 2009

all of them

rdevos on Jul 7, 2009

1. Those passengers that arrive on an airplane either leave by another plane or leave the airport by other means.
2. Those passengers that arrive by other means take a plane and leave or they are not passengers.
3. That is, if you exclude those that are still there at midnight. You can assume this number is constant from night to night.

BruceP on Jul 7, 2009

Well, there are passengers in cars that come and go, those onboard planes that do the same and some perhaps catching a lift on a bicycle or maybe even piggyback. If there are those that try to actually ride on JFK, he's dead, so - good luck.

Norm A on Jul 8, 2009

I would have to agree with those that say all of them. However I must point out an addition to the facts. We are all assuming something when answering these types of problems and as such the answers are as much subjective as they maybe factual.
To the rest here, READ the question. Passengers are ON the planes if not then they are NOT passengers! ALL passengers leave eventually however what is a 'day' not specified as 24hrs- because a 24hr period COULD span 2 'days'.
ALSO it is possible that a plane could be held hostage on the tarmac for more than 24hrs - these passengers would not leave on the same 'day' so our total may be slightly less than 100% on any given day.

Ultimately though, I agree that it is the interviewer's 'hidden' question that counts. With these types of questions the answers are not so mathematically obvious. But rather, the questioner is looking deeper into your logic, character, personality etc. Are you a thinker, do you think out-side the box, do you get frustrated, are you a smart-ass, etc.

That's been my experience

Alanjai on Jul 25, 2009

not all them. because som arrive at one day and leave the next day.
My answer will be "A LOT!"

Pablo on Jan 18, 2010

the answer does not require a number but how will you find out.
It depends on the day of the year and also on how many people are actually on the plane and if all of them are going to JFK or are catching connecting flights.

Nick on Oct 1, 2011

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.