Redbox Interview Question: How many people flew out of C... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Software Engineer II Interview Oakbrook Terrace, IL

How many people flew out of Chicago last year?

Answer

Interview Answer

66 Answers

You are obviously not supposed to know the answer to this question. It is more of a way to gauge how you would determine the scope of a problem and work your way from no knowledge to being able to put together a solution to figure it out.

Interview Candidate on Jun 19, 2014

Actually the answer is zero. Plans fly, people don't.

Anonymous on Mar 18, 2015

oops - typo - Planes fly, people don't

Anonymous on Mar 18, 2015

Roughly as many who flew into Chicago.

John on Mar 18, 2015

My estimate off the top of my head is 30 planes/hr x 24 hr/day x 365 days/yr x 180 people/plane (avg) = 47M and change.
Actual for 2014, Domestic and International, is 70M. This is Passenger Volume so # leaving is 35M.

Anonymous on Mar 19, 2015

Humans don't fly.

Steve on Mar 21, 2015

Considering that humans fly after sitting in plane, I say it is 1 million. To check it, verify the database yourself.

Ashish on Mar 31, 2015

None, . Airplanes fly people ride

Anonymous on Apr 1, 2015

People can not fly, however planes can.

B Siefers on Apr 1, 2015

I don't know, but if you gave me some time on the internet, I could find out

Ken on Apr 1, 2015

Chicago is one of the busiest airports. There maybe 1000 flights flying out everyday. 50 ppl in each flight. So 50,000

none. people can't fly

Anonymous on Apr 1, 2015

I believe the answer is "I don't know" (Unless you do know.) There is a growing idea that businesses need people who are willing to admit that they don't know the answer to something and will admit that without hesitation or making something up. If you aren't comfortable just leaving it at "I don't know" you could explain how you would go about finding the answer.

Anonymous on Apr 1, 2015

What is the relevance of the question to the job being applied for?

The appropriate response is on Apr 1, 2015

Under their own power: zero.

via airplane: 139,345,887.5 people.

Scott on Apr 1, 2015

Just one...but he was sucked into an airplane's engine in-flight and no one will ever know how he accomplished human flight.

Anonymous on Apr 1, 2015

Half of the people who had tickets. Chicago weather sucks!!! :)

Nicole on Apr 1, 2015

All of them did, they couldn't find any good movies to rent from RedBox.

Jack on Apr 1, 2015

None unless "Chicagoans" have wings.

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

Flying's the easy part. Anything can fly if you put a big enough engine on it. So, maybe 1 or 2? Doubt any are still alive, though. The landing is the tricky part.

Joe on Apr 2, 2015

Unless I missed out on that Fox News Special. I'd have to give a resounding "ZERO!" People don't fly!

Anonymous on Apr 2, 2015

Definitely not all of them...

Lisa V on Apr 2, 2015

I have no idea.
I guess the interview thing to say would be "I can find out for you though" but honestly, isn't my time best spent on something else?

Marv on Apr 3, 2015

This is not an oddball question at all but a classic in job interviews for aspiring consultants. The question is testing your problem solving skills rather than your knowledge and the answer is of no real importance as long as your way of getting to it is conclusive. The obvious "people don't fly, planes do" may be good for a quick laugh but unless you follow up with a real answer, you're out.

Patrick on Apr 3, 2015

Since the question was from an interview for a software engineer, the right answer is "give me your name, email address, and office extension and we'll open a help ticket"; then do not open a help ticket and forget the call ever happened

LMGTFY

Google Bot on Apr 3, 2015

This post has been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

I don't know, but DOT keeps stats.

OC on Apr 3, 2015

I don't know, but if it's necessary for me to know this, I can certainly find out. Why is this important for me to know?

1.5 as many that flew in

Zero. People cannot fly.

Dug on Apr 5, 2015

I am not sure that data exists because of private aircraft also coming and going. If the FAA or airport authorities have that data, combined with passenger data, I could probably research it and find out.
Do parachutist count too?

Joe on Apr 5, 2015

As many as those who flew in Chicago

Aman on Apr 7, 2015

Well, don't ask the airlines. No one knows what the hell's going on at ORD

Pam on Apr 8, 2015

I'd guess:
4 minute FAA separation mandate
737 the most common = 120 ppl
Hours of operation = 6am-12pm (abatement)
365 days
6 runways (double triangle for busy airports)

6 runways x ((18h x 60min/hr)/4min per plane) x 120 ppl x 365 days = 70.956M ppl total.
As others said, half those are flying out, so 35.478M ppl

But I'm an aviation nut, so that's more than the average bear.

Stiles on Apr 8, 2015

Google for 1st estimate and then dig in deeper if this would be a significant information to a Project.

Tapio on Apr 8, 2015

Do witches count as people? Oh wait, witches don't fly. Brooms fly.

Brybrybry on Apr 9, 2015

The same number of boarding passes given out

Vikram on Apr 9, 2015

Why the crap would we have to estimate it when the information would be available from secondary sources....google it

Bobo on Apr 9, 2015

Was the Birdman movie set in Chicago?

Bruce on Apr 9, 2015

Zero.

0!

Anonymous on Apr 10, 2015

As many as had reached to Chicago through airplanes.

Anonymous on Apr 10, 2015

Everyone who boarded a departing flight.

None on Apr 11, 2015

For the folks doing the math: there's more than one airport in Chicago. Adjust accordingly.

dl on Apr 11, 2015

None, people are incapable of flying.

Anonymous on Apr 11, 2015

None people are incapable of flying.

Anonymous on Apr 11, 2015

Only one, I can even tell the name to you on my first day.

JustinW on Apr 13, 2015

This post has been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

The calculation is a bit tricky, if you really want to know it:

It is relatively proportional to the number of Bags (luggage) carried out of Chicago.
Please provide me the database, I would come up with an answer.

Note: For precise number you need to also include the handbag.

Regards,
Abhi

Abhi on Apr 14, 2015

Besides Superman probably nobody else.

Marc Tanner on Apr 14, 2015

None.
People can't fly.

Anonymous on Apr 14, 2015

Zero. People can't fly...no wings.

Zero. People can't fly...no wings

People can't fly

vanathy on Apr 16, 2015

as many people who booked flights through Chicago.

Anonymous on Apr 17, 2015

None. Technically, there are no airports "in" Chicago. They're in the suburbs.

Carolyn on Apr 19, 2015

One guy : RKELLY. He is the only human being who believes he can fly.

Richard Bucumi on May 08,2015 on May 8, 2015

Approximately the same number that flew in

Anonymous on May 13, 2015

"The number of people who flew out of Chicago" is a true answer, albeit a tautological one. It requires no specifics and takes into account not only the zero ("people don't fly") answer but many of the other responses above as well, some of which may be off a few degrees (for example, even people who had boarding passes and got on board might not actually have completed their flight, and not everyone who flies in flies out, etc.).

This tautological answer, though, because the context is an interview, is likely to be perceived as flip and would probably get the answerer lumped in with the people who answer zero—the "if the person says zero, he or she is automatically out of the running" scenario mentioned above.

Although to use a tautology or to answer "zero" probably won't succeed if done directly, such things can be embedded within one or more linguistic frames, including hypotheticals—ifs. ("If you wanted a tautological answer, I could say XYZ" or "Assuming you're not being literal about people flying and you're interested in finding out ABC about me, then XYZ.")

Another way of approaching the question—a way that in fact is a demonstration of your strategy for relating to questions, an answer in itself—is to ask a question in return (such as one that probes for more detail—"Does that include private planes as well as commercial carriers, and blimps, helicopters, and so on?"), which invisibly begins to shift the dynamic of the interview (now you're the one asking the questions).

Perhaps a better-quality question than asking for details about the content of the question would be to notch it up a level and ask the questioner something that seeks to discern his or her underlying purpose in asking the question. By doing so, the sterile, impersonal nature of the question is transcended and a personal exchange comes into play between interviewer and interviewee-cum-interviewer. The question you invent is up to you—how brilliant can you be at having the other person be brilliant?

Anonymous on Aug 2, 2015

No one flew out of Chicago last year, because people do not have wings.

Anonymous on Aug 20, 2015

No one. People do not have wings.

Anonymous on Aug 20, 2015

I would google it.

Ilona Grosl on Aug 27, 2015

Those people flew out of chicago who have bought air-plane ticket.

Harshit on Nov 26, 2015

They all did.

boxer on Dec 6, 2015

With Air Canada, twice as many as their luggage.

Stephen on Feb 12, 2016

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.