Blackbaud Interview Question: How would you design a databa... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Software Engineer I Interview Daniel Island, SC

How would you design a database that allows these two

tables to be stored and be infinitely expandable, while maintaining speed of execution?
Answer

Interview Answer

2 Answers

I had no database knowledge, so I admitted that and discussed how I would go about it anyway.

Interview Candidate on Mar 27, 2012

I have minimal experience with databases, but thought I'd take a stab at this question. When creating a database, either in your code with a Configuration class (like C#), or in SQL Server, you want to try and separate out information into several columns, or even several tables. For example: say you're designing an issue tracker that takes in tickets. Now, you could design a Ticket table that encompasses every single facet of that Ticket; however it's more efficient to store some of that data in other tables (also, it helps with controlling what that data is, as you can set pre-determined data yourself in the db or in your Configuration class). And to speed up the process, I would have my SQL Server do a lot of the work using Stored Procedures, instead of running them through my code alone. Again, I have minimal experience, but that's what I've learned so far!

Meghan on May 2, 2018

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.