HubSpot Interview Questions in Dublin, Co. Dublin | Glassdoor

Interviews at HubSpot

3.3

Sales Interview

Application

Interview

My experience interviewing for Hubspot was, unfortunately negative. I am a fan of Hubspot and felt my knowledge and skills would suit the role and culture very well. It took the team several weeks to respond to my application. Once I received a phone call, the first thing said by the recruiter in a stern voice was “this won’t take long”, even though we had scheduled 30 mins. I felt reduced to a “tick the box” exercise. I felt the call was rushed and the recruiter disinterested in me or my answers. Perhaps it was a bad day for them (we all have them!), but it certainly has put me off applying to Hubspot in the future.

Business Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in January 2020.

Interview

It was quite a long process for an entry level position, 30mins the first call, 30 minutes role play and 2 hours and a half on site interview, where I met 6 different persons. Mainly all of them asked me the same experience related questions and I felt I was wasting my time with them. They seemed more interested in sympathy than skills and previous experience. I was told by the account manager that they aren't making any marketing action for the market for which I applied, so how can I (and a customer) trust a marketing company that does not invest in marketing? By the way, I've got the feedback the day after, they told me that I wasn't the right candidate because my answers were too short and I didn't seem motivated enough. 3 days later I received a positive feedback and I was hired by one of the Big 4 tech companies and HubSpot put the job advertisement back on Glassdoor. Maybe HubSpot should review (again) the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• Why sales, what you learned from the last book you read, tell me something that I should know about you and that is not your CV.   Answer Question

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in December 2019.

Interview

Applied on Linkedin and got a call from a recruiter for screening and then a manager. After two calls, this was their direct feedback from the direct manager: You have vast marketing knowledge but should study how to interview with the STAR framework. So I guess they were more concerned with skills on answering the typical (out-of-date, annoying, value-less) interview questions than the skills the sales engineer position required.

I mean, interviews are carried once in a lifetime, a working relationship lasts for years. Rethink your HR approach, you're bleeding talent.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? A situation in which you helped a colleague... (really?)   Answer Question

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in November 2019.

Interview

The interview process for this role consisted of 2 basic screenings, a product demo and three onsite interviews.

During the first screening, I was asked questions about myself, the role and HubSpot, six in total. This stage was a bit strange because I wasn't speaking to anyone and each of my answers was recorded on video. The screening consisted of questions such as "Tell us about some of your interests" or "Why are you a good fit for this role?".

This was followed by a 30-minute phone interview with a HubSpot recruiter. The call consisted of simple questions about myself, my CV, the role and HubSpot. The recruiter was nice and the questions were quite straightforward and similar to the questions I was asked in the initial screening.

This was followed by a 60-minute video call where I demonstrated the product to a hiring manager who, again, was quite friendly. The product demo involved building and placing an image on a website using HubSpot. I was also required to create a form for contacts to provide their details on. The US state each contact was from was required, so a useful tip to ensure the state was known and in the correct format was to use a dropdown menu as the state's input field on the form. During the product demo, my ability to respond to questions I didn't know was tested. To do this the interviewer acted as if they were a customer who was unfamiliar with the product. I said once or twice that I could provide them with an article "for future reference". The interviewer seemed to like this because I was speaking to the customer as if I would help them down the line, not just during that specific call. I was asked how I could share a URL to bring someone to either the website or the form I had created. There are plenty of articles, blogs, Youtube videos, etc., that show how to use the HubSpot product so the preparation for this part of the interview process was ok, but it took a lot of time.

This was followed by three 30-minute interviews on-site in Dublin. On the day I was given a tour of the office prior to the interviews, the office is really nice. The three interviews were behavioural. I was asked over and over to "tell me about a time when...". It was emphasised that to answer the questions well, I had to follow the STAR method. I prepped using the method, but in my feedback, I was told my answers were too long and didn't follow the STAR structure sufficiently. I think they might have been looking for me to literally say "the situation was... the task was...", etc. I was caught out by a few questions like "Tell me about a time when you took the blame for something that wasn't your fault" and "Tell me about a time when you took a risk and it paid off".

In the end, I was told that it wasn't clear why I wanted a support position. That was something I tried to emphasise so I don't really know what the best way to approach that would be. I was also told that I didn't stick to the STAR method as I mentioned previously. In total, the interview process was long and consisted of quite a few steps. It took me about a month to finish and I spent a lot of time prepping. The people I met were very nice and it definitely looks like a great company to be part of. The salary seemed to be quite low but this probably would've been accounted for with perks like free breakfast/lunch, company stock, unlimited holidays, ability to work from home etc.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in November 2019.

Interview

Initial tech screen
    Take home test
    Onsite interview split over 3 hours where discussed various topics
    Overall one of the better interview processes I have been though but I let myself down in some of the sections

Technical Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in November 2019.

Interview

Interviewed at HubSpot November 2019. Noticed the position Technical Lead on Linkedin and applied. 2 days later got response from recruiter for the initial call. Got a call after weekend, all was friendly, polite and got the technical task, that I can complete on weekend. It was awesome! Because I was still employed and really busy at my job. The technical task was easy, but unfortunately my laptop broke so I did it on my wife’s machine and it was slow. The time limit is 3 hours, I did it for 1 hour and 20 minutes approx. Then I got a time to polish a code, I didn’t use it, because it was already polished, definitely better to to it as soon as possible, only then polish, because there is no time limit to that. I know it, but just hate to create ugly fast code)) Next day I was invited to onsite, I scheduled for next week. Unfortunately, I didn’t notice my recruiter email to brush up JS skills and didn’t brush it.
    There were 4 rounds. First JS: tricky questions in depth, and because I didn’t write JS for 2 years I was not good and seems my first interviewer didn’t like me for some reason. The second interviewer in the room was seems very novice in interview and seems just didn’t know what to do. I did very well for a person who didn’t touch JS for several years, but I thought I failed and disappointed but tried to fix the situation. The second one was system design I did extremely well and my interviewer was great, he just guided me to do it step by step. It was as conversation, not as interview. Third was coding and I extremely recommend to bring own laptop to don’t struggle with new machine (they use macs). The task was easy, but I just forgot the parameters of one method and spent some time to debug it, but still finished it in 15 minutes. Btw, you can google whatever you want. The rest I just asked questions and my interviewer was extremely friendly. The last one was director of engineering. She was fantastic and told me that my resume is the best she had ever seen and my experience so great I need to present it on TED, I even felt confused because I thought it could be sarcasm. But we got the same vision of organisation, team, had a really nice chat, really inspired that she was 6 month an SWE, even she hired as director, it is a common practice here. All interviews contain standard behavioral questions.
    Next was my recruiter showed me office a bit and gave a free juice and treat and told he will call in 2 days.
    Next day I got a call that I got an offer! I negotiate it a bit, he returned to me that day with even 2 options for the package with the right to select! I selected and next day gave verbal response to accept it. And contract was evening that day!
    So, all was so fast, so smooth, so polite, even negotiation was so smooth. But all the people I met were awesome. And my recruiter and director of engineering were among the factors why I accepted this offer so quick (I even didn’t wait for the interview results from another Dublin huge company).

Interview Questions

HubSpot Response

Nov 20, 2019 – Director, Recruiting

Thanks so much for such a thoughtful review. One of the thing our team cares deeply about and has been spending a lot of time coaching interviewers on is considering a candidate's potential and impact versus just looking at experience. That means in the interview process, we care less about getting to a "right answer" and more about understanding how you think and how you would problem solve a real life technical challenge you might encounter working here. I'm glad you saw that in action as you interviewed with us, and equally happy that your recruiter was communicative and helpful throughout the entire process. Congrats on joining us, and welcome to HubSpot!

Business Development Representative Interview

Application

Interview

This was one of the best interview process I went through. The recruiter who was looking after me was very attentive and responsive. She always answered any question I had and really helped me preparing each of the interviews I went through. The interview process has 4 different steps, 1st is a 30 min call with the recruiter, 2nd is a 30 min call with the hiring manager, 3rd is a phone call roll play with the same hiring manager and 4th is an onsite interview with 3 different managers. The recruiter really looked after me the day of my onsite interview and made me feel comfortable. The best recommendation I would have is to really do your research on the people who are going to interview you, do the HubSpot certifications beforehand and understand well the pain points of a customer looking at buying HubSpot. Overall a great and positive experience!

Interview Questions

HubSpot Response

Dec 4, 2019 – Director, Recruiting

It absolutely made my day to see how helpful your recruiter was every step of the say. Great tips on doing your homework up front to get comfortable with who you're meeting and what HubSpot is. Congrats on a great process, and welcome to HubSpot!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

3 hour coding test, 2 hours on in the offices; 1 hour coding, 1 hour system design and scalability. Tour of office beforehand. Everyone was very friendly. Seems like a great place to work!

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

I received an email to set-up a phone screen interview about three weeks after submitting the application. I performed well at interview and the person I spoke with really tried to sell the role to me. It sounded very promising. I was surprised when I received a standard rejection email the next day and I followed up for feedback but never received a reply. I sent a note directly to the recruiter as the rejection email came from a do-not-reply address. This type of robotic approach is very offputting and sours the brand. Please make the hiring process more human.

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HubSpot (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in October 2019.

Interview

Was very impressed overall with the interview process. I applied online after seeing a vacancy and a recruiter emailed me about 10 hours later the morning after.
    I was given a task to complete where you have to make an API call to receive some data, manipulate it in some way, and then send the new data to another API. It was a very enjoyable task.
    After that, I was scheduled a brief call with the recruiter who just asked general questions, and at the end of the call I was invited onsite.
    Onsite interview had 2 rounds: One was focused on solving a simple coding problem, and the other was focused on system design (I did not do so well in this round).

Interview Questions

HubSpot Response

Feb 27, 2020 – Director, Recruiting

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and I'm glad you had such an efficient process. Welcome to HubSpot, so glad you're able to join us for your internship!