Hudson's Bay Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 18, 2017

2.3

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay (New York, NY).

Interview

wonderful - everyone I met with was extremely professional and informative. the position was moved to a different location within the company, leading me to decline, but I enjoyed each person I interviewed with.

Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay (New York, NY).

Interview

I had a 30 min, rather positive meeting with the recruiter, asked for salary requirements and was happy with what I asked for. He wanted me to come back in and speak to VP and Director within a week. Showed me the beautiful office space and said they'd get in touch with possible meeting times. Never got back in touch, I tried contacting them and did not receive a reply.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background and why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Front End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

The interview process was positive.

The recruiter (internal) was friendly and seemed to be an advocate for me, after answered several questions regarding my background and interests.

The first step was a technical screening, which required knowledge of http requests, html, css, and javascript, but the screening was more of pair programming than an interview. This made the process smooth and shows the companies interest in a collaborative work environment. While the screening required technical skill, the task seemed to also be testing one's ability to play nicely.

Upon passing the screening, I was scheduled for an onsite interview. What I didn't realize is that this would be a three hour marathon of a series of interviews with three different groups. While that didn't bother me too much, I was not prepared for the length of the ordeal and was pretty mentally exhausted by the end.

It was the final interview that I bombed. I may still have struggled a bit at that point, but I would have done much better had I not been drained by that point in the day. Perhaps even having a cup of coffee at some point in the process would have helped.

Overall, the entire interview process revealed a company that was trying to do well by its developers and had a good culture.

However, I was concerned by one of the answers I received to my question "if you had a qualified friend who wanted to work here, would you recommend this company to them?" The response I received was interesting - the person kept muddling along about how every company is different and for some the culture is great and other's its not. I don't know about you, but if I worked at a great company, I'm looking for good devs I know to get a position there.

The problem came after the interview - silence. No response from nobody. I reached out via email, phone, linkedin, nothing.

Finally, after 6 weeks, one person on linked in was just checking up on me, he liked me but the team went another direction. Turns out the company went through a period of layoffs in between my interview and his message to me.

Finally, if you are self-taught or went through a bootcamp, many of the interview questions revolved around how the browser and javascript engine work when encountering various types of code. I felt very unprepared for these questions, even though I am confident in my ability to actually code. I was told my javascript skills were impressive (though my css was shaky, which it was). If you are a bootcamp or self-taught dev and you have been dependent on libraries and frameworks for css or JS, be sure to learn pure css and pure JS, it will help you tremendously in interview processes like these.

Interview Questions

• Using JavaScript, create a Deck of cards for playing a game. Walk through how you would create the deck. Afterwards, I was asked to create a function for shuffling the cards.   Answer Question
    • Create a function in JavaScript that replicates what the built-in array method `.map()` does.   Answer Question
    • What are some ways to optimize performance when styling a page with CSS?   Answer Question
    • Explain why and when you might use SASS instead of CSS or, alternately, CSS instead of SASS?   Answer Question

Marketing Management Interview

Interview

I was excited to hear that Gilt wanted to speak to me regarding an opportunity. Made myself conveniently available to chat over the phone within the 24 hour time period they provided. However, HR never called at our scheduled time. I emailed them after waiting 15 minutes and still heard nothing. Because this call was planned for a Friday, I reached out again that following Monday. HR responded to this email, apologized, and rescheduled. They simply ignored the email I sent Friday regarding the missed phone interview. So, we rescheduled.

On the day of our rescheduled phone interview, HR reached out saying their availability changed and they could only do that morning. Sadly I was sitting in a meeting and couldn't take the call. HR said Monday would work. I emailed her to confirm that Monday was open for me and requested a time. Never heard back. I followed up one last time and still have heard nothing.

I don't blame the branded company I applied to for this mishap as they are tied to HBC. I totally get that things pop up. It's the lack of response that made me frustrated. Sadly, the recruiter claimed to be committed to bringing in top talent to the organization. Well, that person certainly fooled me.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Two calls with a recruiter, one call with Head of HR and two meetings with SVP. Questions were routine for the position. Company didn't follow through regarding final decision. In fact I was informed by a recruiter. When I contacted the company, they confirmed position had been filled, but did not apologize for how the matter was handled.

Junior Stylist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pottsville, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay (Pottsville, PA) in December 2016.

Interview

2 Phone interviews- both went very well and both recruiters/hiring managers were professional, hear what i had to say, and asked me relevant questions. They were very kind and human. They put the Human in Human Resources.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Executive Training Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay (New Orleans, LA) in November 2016.

Interview

Tried to schedule an interview and my initial interviewer told me to reach out to him again in a few months. Once i reached out, nobody ever got back to me. I gave up on the process.

Interview Questions

• When is a time that you had to analyze a large amount of data?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay in November 2016.

Interview

Quick and painless but not thorough. It was very long from start to finish. I was interview three times before being presented an offer and I only received one so quickly because I had another offer pending. The structure really is poor.

Director Project Management Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay.

Interview

Crummy recruiting practices. A recruiter contacted me to set an appointment to discuss my resume submission. She never called during our scheduled time and never responded to my emails asking if she needed to reschedule. Very unprofessional and rude.

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hudson's Bay.

Interview

This company has a serious problem where recruitment is concerned. There seems to be little follow up and few people to communicate with. Also, if you make someone an offer, and they accept, give a start date, and 7 different references, it would be good to respond to their requests on progress and next steps. I would not recommend working for this company based on the interaction with HR and Recruitment. The managers seemed really lovely though.

Interview Questions

• How would you juggle multiple requests from multiple managers? What is your experience with dealing with different departments? How do you deal with managing multiple calendars?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted the offer, gave them availability dates and references. They wanted more references. I gave them more references. They wanted more references. Then they never responded to my inquiries. I'm moving on to something else.