Hughes Network Systems Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated May 3, 2017

3.1

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hughes Network Systems (Germantown, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

I got it through the career fair in school. After 2 weeks, I got a phone call for the college day at Germantown, MD. I had to do a couple of questions about statistic, 30s/each, around 20 questions. After that. confirmed about the college day, went in for dinner, met all of the managers, got explained about the jobs carefully. Got 3 hours for college days, interviewed 1-1 with 4 different directors/managers from different teams.

Interview Questions

• Go over your resumes, ask about what u want to do, explain the job again from their team. different betw c and java, tell whether a string is a palindrome. go over the project in school   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hughes Network Systems (Germantown, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

I met the company representatives at my University. I was called to attend the College Day event in Germantown (really well organized event). This interview consists of 4 rounds with people from different teams within the organization. Go through your resume in-depth and be prepared to answer everything that's on your resume. Don't waste a lot of time on algo's or complex LeetCode questions. You should be strong with basic programming concepts. That's all you need!

Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Hughes Network Systems (Germantown, MD) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied to the Hughes when they came to our career fair followed by applying online.

A month later, I gave a telephonic interview with a manager. He asked some questions from my resume. He was not in the same department as I am so he focused mainly on HR related questions. A week later, I got a mail that they want to invite me to participate in the College Day event in Germantown, MD.

It was a two-day event. On the first day, there was a welcome reception at a restaurant where there were some hiring managers as well. We spent around two hours talking to the managers and the HR staffs and eating food.

On the second day, we went to the office for a quick breakfast followed by four interviews of 45 mins each. The interviews started at around 9 am and were over by 12 noon. There is no break in between the interviews.

Then we had lunch and it ended a lab tour before heading back home.

Interview Questions

• The first interviewer asked me questions from my resume. He asked basic questions on the technologies I worked on. He asked me to write merge sort program.

The second interviewer was an embedded systems guy and he said he doesn't know anything on java which I was interviewing for. He asked me questions from C and C++. I could answer some and told him when I didn't know. He asked me some behavioural questions at the end.

The third interviewer had a sheet with 4 programs and a networking question. Since I was not interviewing for networking, he told I can skip the networking question. Questions: 1. Reverse a linked list. 2. Multiply two numbers without using multiplication/division operator and iterators. 3. Write any sorting algorithm. 4. Write a running average algorithm. The formula was provided. 5. Write the TCP/IP layers.

The fourth interviewer was a networking person and all he asked was behavioural questions and some questions from my resume.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hughes Network Systems (Germantown, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

Called on for an Onsite Interview. Provided Air Tickets.Had a meeting with all the heads of the organization. Provided Accomdation in Marriot. Provided Travel Charges.Four Rounds of Technical Interviews. Well organized

Interview Questions

• Covered almost every technology mentioned in the Resume. Some rounds were semi Technical and one was a fully technical for 45 min had to write Quick Sort and Linked List pseudo codes   1 Answer

Application

Interview

I applied this company in the University career fair. And they sent me email about setting up a phone interview about 2 weeks later. The phone interview is quite easy. They just asked me about the things I put on the resume, no coding or concept questions. And I got an invitation for onsite interview about an hour after phone interview.
    The onsite interview are four rounds. First manager asked me what classes I took and ask me to briefly explained what is that about. The second and third manager asked me about some resume project question and some coding question. The last one is the worst, he ask a lot concept question of CS backgrounds, however I am a Computer Engineer students and not able to answer all of his questions.

Interview Questions

• Coding question about linked list, like reverse linked list and delete a node in list.   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Hughes Network Systems (Gaithersburg, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

Went to College Day recruiting. Flew me down and paid for the entire trip (food, hotel, rental car, gas, etc). Went on tour of factory, then interviewed with 4 of the Supply Chain leaders in the factory. 2 of them were very tough questioners, other two were pretty casual. Overall a great experience, everyone was friendly and you can tell HR knows how to try to impress recruits.

Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hughes Network Systems (Germantown, MD) in October 2016.

Interview

Attend college fair, submitted my resume and applied online. After 2 weeks got a call to attend interview in German town, MD. Interview day will be a lengthy one. Sitting in the same room for nearly 3 hours with interviewers taking turns. In total 4 round each lasting around 45 mins. Got the results in less than 15 days.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were from the things put on the resume and nitty-gritty of programming languages, algorithms and data structures.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Gaithersburg, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hughes Network Systems (Gaithersburg, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

Phone interview technical followed by an onsite call. Phone interview focused on basic C programming and Resume coverage. Also questions regarding networking protocols like TCP and congestion control. JAVA basics were also asked.

Member of Technical Staff I - H/W Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hughes Network Systems (Germantown, MD).

Interview

I applied through a campus event. The process was as follows:

1) On-campus interview:
    Basic questions related to details on resume, what do you want to do, what are your interests, do you have any questions for us etc. Total interview time: 40 min.

2) On-site interview:
    The on-site interview was a month after the first interview. It was a two-day event - interviews on the second day, and a welcome reception event on the first day. This event is where you get a chance to interact with other candidates and Hughes employees, and a chance to discuss and learn about the company, available roles, growth opportunities etc. Event duration: ~2hrs.

The actual interviews took place on the next day. There were four one-on-one interviews with four different interviewers, each lasting roughly 45 min with no scheduled breaks in between. We reached the company campus in the morning, and attended a quick briefing session over breakfast. Next, our names were called out and we were paired up with our first interviewers who walked us to the interview room. Since the campus has a lot of identical buildings and it is easy to get lost given the tension, it is advisable to note the extensions of the HR team and their names for emergencies.

Details of the individual interviews are as follows:

a) First interview: Questions about current research, projects on resume, digital signal processing, digital modulation techniques, simple C programs.

b) Second interview: Questions related to resume, why I quit my previous job, fabrication practices and material selection guidelines followed for projects on resume.

c) Third interview: Design questions from a certain project on resume, interviewer was interested in a lot of design parameters and their values.

d) Fourth interview: Questions from RF & microwave engineering, antenna measurements, Smith chart and impedance matching, questions related to current research.

Interview Questions

• 1) Given a filter transfer function, would the filter coefficients be real or imaginary.

2) Explain the process of BPSK and QPSK modulation, their constellation diagrams and how incoming bits are mapped to waveforms.

3) What would happen if there was a frequency error in these modulation schemes, and the effect that would have on the constellation diagram.
      [The frequency errors would cause the constellation diagram to rotate around the origin point with a angular rate determined by the frequency shift]

4) Since execution time on a processor is valuable, what is the best way to compute the number of 1s in the binary representation of a given number? Write a pseudo code for the same.
      [The logic he was expecting is monitor the LSB for 1 or a 0, right shift the number by 1, check the LSB and so on.]

5) If a device has the following response on a Smith Chart, how would you match it?

6) What are the different antenna measurement ranges? How does a compact antenna range work?

7) Question related to two-port network theory and properties of S-matrix, specifically unitary properties.
      Answer Question

MTS2 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Germantown, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hughes Network Systems (Germantown, MD) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through college day. Many students had come. The total process took 2 days. We had dinner on the first day where we met the company officials and higher management. They explained about the company and what you can expect to work on, if you get selected. Sharing your views and asking good questions is the key here. Next day you will have 4 rounds. Just make sure you know your resume well and be confident.The interview difficulty is based on the way you steer your interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself followed by discussing about my projects.   Answer Question