Hulu Software Development Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 8, 2017

3.6

29 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu.

Interview

Filled out application online, then was contacted by recruiter. From there phone screened with 2 teams before being told that I wouldn't be continuing despite showing genuine interest and passing all technical challenges (according to feedback). It was a total waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• simple coding question. Probing questions about general knowledge about front and backend systems and optimizations.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Hulu

Software Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hulu (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Got an online coding challenge that had a time limit of 6 hours to be done. It was quite difficult i could not finish my code and did not move to next round with the company.

Interview Questions

• They asked me a very difficult and rather ridiculous question. The question was create a bot that can best solve hangman in three guesses. They gave you nothing besides a personal link from which one could send and receive json requests with more information on the game. Aside from that that there was not much context and not much starter code so the programmer had to import the json results independently, download a dictionary independently etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and a recruiter reached out. Had one phone screen and an on-site interview with 4 rounds.

Initially the response was fast until I finished my phone screen. The phone screen interview had a very simple question - even though we had 45 min, I was able to analyze and solve the problem in less than 20 minutes, which gave me more than enough time to talk to the engineer and ask questions regarding the position. The engineer himself was quite excited to describe the position.

From here on, the process was slow, and response times were very very long. It took them a week to get back with a response to tell me that they would like to bring me on-site. In a fast moving industry, 1 week to get response on a phone screen is extremely slow (I was interviewing with multiple companies and Hulu was the slowest in responding).

I scheduled the on-site interview a few weeks after - scheduling the on-site was also slow. They set me up at a nice hotel in Santa Monica - they fly candidates in the day before the interview to ensure that they get enough rest. They also offer discounted rates at the hotel if you choose to stay longer in LA.

Their workplace is decorated in a fancy way (different from many companies I have seen). The developers I met are all very ecstatic - they walked in to the room with a very positive vibe. The interviewers had reviewed my resume and knew what I had worked on before, which is a positive sign for me as a candidate. Almost all the interviewers had another engineer shadowing them. Had lunch with one of the interviewers (and the shadow...). I expected a good discussion regarding work culture at Hulu over lunch, but it felt more like an interview. I did not enjoy this experience, since I had food in front of me, but was bombarded with questions throughout lunch time. Although I don't pay too much attention to lunch when I'm interviewing on-site but this was impolite - I wouldn't mind doing an extra round for behavioral questions. Apparently lunch is not free, but they pay for it since you are interviewing.

I had high expectations when I started interviewing with Hulu. Interviewing on-site was a good experience, but overall it was a negative experience - considering the fact that they did not value my time. Even though it was mentioned that they'll have my result by a specific day, I did not hear back from HR that day. A bunch of no-response e-mails later, got a response saying that they wanted additional time to gather feedback. Based on the overall interview experience, I had already decided not to join Hulu by then. I had other offers to choose from.

Interview Questions

• The on-site interview has 4 rounds (including one system design). I did not face any difficult technical questions as such. Their questions are more around data structures and algorithms. Nothing difficult - I've seen all the questions or a variation of it before - can be found online. They had follow up questions to add more functionality or dig deeper into implementing something related. They look into the approach you take to solve the problem, and it looked like that they were very satisfied that I could weigh the pros and cons of different approaches in solving the problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Went onsite for interview. The office is in Santa Monica. The location is great! And Hulu offices are pretty fancy as well! Interviewers are really nice! They have lots of free drinks and snacks, but looks like no free lunch.

Interview Questions

• 1. Behavior question + system design
      2. coding (a tree problem + how to design LRU cache)
      3. coding (a graph problem + a follow up)
      4. system design   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I submit my resume online and my recruiter just response very quickly and we started the process.
    I'm a web front-end engineer. There're one phone interview and 5 rounds in on-site interview. Questions are hard. And after first onsite, the team wanted to keep me at hulu but maybe other team suits me better.

My recruiter really helped me a lot, she talked to several teams and finally she found metrics-platform team which mainly focus on backend but also wanted a front-end engineer. So they brought me for a second phone interview & onsite interview. And I finally got the offer. It is really a long process but I felt very good.

Interview Questions

• 1. Longest substring with distinct words
      2. Search element in an rotated array   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

They do a phone screening, a technical phone interview, and then an onsite interview.

The questions are more to look at your thinking process and how you may behave when working with others. The design questions may go beyond your own knowledge if you have no experience in backend development.

The reason for rejecting me was very vague and I have no idea if I did anything wrong, failed to impress them, or if they just didn't like my personality.

Interview Questions

• Asked a question that used recursion, architecture design, UI, how I approach certain problems.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The process consisted of two phone interviews and an onsite interview. The phone screen interview consists of on-screen coding questions on basic algorithms and data structures.
    The onsite interview consists of four-five technical rounds.
    The HR are very prompt in giving you the feedback and are very co-operative.

Interview Questions

• Data structure questions, algorithms etc. Nothing too weird but definitely needs a good use of brains. Few questions on design and architecture of systems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hulu (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

coding challenge followed by a phone call. The recruiter was extremely cooperative and quick to response. I stayed happy throughout the entire process. The interviewer sounded very intellectual and nice. Questions asked were challenging but based on basic algorithm/data structure. The ability to optimize and meet the constraints is crucial when answering questions.

Interview Questions

• two string comparison, xml tree, hybrid data structure, number base   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Handed in my resume at career fair.
    Then I was invited to do the coding challenge.
    Which had one programming question asking to build an employee tree given employees and a CEO.

After a day of submitting the coding challenge, then a phone interview was scheduled.
    The phone interview was pretty easy, firstly asked some of your experiences stated on the resume.
    Then came with 3 coding questions.
    1) Check if two strings are anagrams of each other
    2) Given an integer ranged from 0-99, return its English representation (e.g. 0 -> "Zero", 21 -> "Twenty One")
    3) Ransom Note problem (Google it for more details)

I did all of them, everything went well on the phone interview, then got invited for onsite after a day.
    The difficulty for the onsite interview was completely different from the phone interview.
    I got four rounds, all technical (one of the interviewers asked me a design problem related to web application design), sorry that I cannot disclose them in details because I signed NDA before the interviews.
    But playing with leetcode (especially the linked list ones and the string ones) would definitely help.
    Although I could finally done all the problems, but I spent too much time for some of them and needed the interviewers to give some hints.
    So I finally got rejected after a week, but it is still a great experience. The HR responded really quickly, the interviewers were nice and friendly too. (Although one of the interviewers on my onsite interview was not)
    At least it made me not fear of other technical interviews, because maybe that was the most difficult one I have ever got.

Interview Questions

• Anagrams, English representation of integer, ransom note   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Overhyped ppl and company.. nt worth a try

Solved a coding question... Got a call for telephonic round...
    I coded 3 difficult level questions in 45 mins... I infact gave them solution fr all scenarios.. interviewer told me dat I just asked u this.. If I gave him a solution for all scenarios except for 1,is it wrong?
    During whole interview he was'nt even listening to me while I was coding and explaining my logic... 2-3 times I had to ask him whether he was online.. seem he was forced to take this interview.. and wasted my time!!
    As mentioned on this site.. for them only their solutions are right.. does'nt matter if u give them a better one...I wonder how do they even compare themselves to Google and FB
    HR is only good thing abt this company... they r v prompt!!