Hulu Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 21, 2017

3.3

40 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hulu (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I submitted my resume online and talked to the recruiter at a USC Viterbi event. I got notified through email that I had a week to complete a coding challenge and email it in.

Interview Questions

• Coding challenge. Make an AI hangman player.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Hulu

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Hulu in September 2017.

Interview

Write a hangman AI solver in 6 hours. You can choose any language you like and you can use training data online. One difference of hangman game is that we are required to guess a sentence instead of a single word.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Seattle, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

The interview process started with a call from a recruiter to discuss my background, followed by 2 technical phone screens. These were coding questions done over the internet, mostly consisting of algorithms questions with some design as well. The coding site was pretty easy to use and the interviewers seemed happy to point me in the right direction if I got stuck on something.

Then was a full onsite loop interview, with standard coding on the whiteboard questions, architecture questions, some soft skill questions, and lunch. It was about 5 hours- kind of a long day but pretty normal for loop interviews in my experience. Also, prior to the loop interview, I was sent an email with some topics to prepare for, like in-depth knowledge about trees and graphs. However, I found that this stuff didn't really come up during the interview, it was more normal coding questions.

About a week later, they got back to me to tell me they went with another candidate. Too bad- this place seemed cool.

Interview Questions

• Implement a (simple) regex matcher on the whiteboard, implement a queue using two stacks on the whiteboard, design an OO structure for a sandwich shop.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

I had a phone screen, then a technical screen on the phone with some coding on a shared coder-pad, and finally a full day on-site at their Santa Monica office

Interview Questions

• They had me go REALLY deep into one of my previous projects and talk about how I'd rebuild it from the ground up.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hulu (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

Took a phone-based online coding test and did well so they invited me out for an on-site interview. The on-site consisted of your standard hand-coding on a white board for algorithms and designs that have no application whatsoever to the work I would be doing or which I have ever done, like implementing a regular expression engine, implementing various Dog classes, and designing a high rise building.

Interview Questions

• Implement a regular expression engine on the white board   Answer Question
    • Implement a Dog class, a Poodle class, etc. on the white board which have different values for jumping and walking. How would you implement another Dog class which combines aspects of other Dog types?   Answer Question
    • Design a high-rise building that needs to accomodate three types of floors - residential, commercial, and retail, as it relates to transporting people around each area.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hulu in April 2017.

Interview

The recruiter contacted me and asked me to solve an online test. After that, there was a phone interview. The interviewer spent a lot of time talking about my background. He asked questions about website performance, routing etc. Questions were not difficult, but I couldn't answer them clearly.. Then there was a coding question that I solved in 15 mins, it was really easy. I guess they rejected me because I did not do well at the verbal questions part

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hulu in February 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter after applying and scheduled a phone interview. The first phone interview was easy. We talked for fifteen minutes about my background and spent the rest of the time doing a coding problem. The problem was straight forward, but a bit time consuming. After I coded it up, he asked some follow up questions about optimization and performance. My second interview was even easier. The coding problem took about 20 minutes, and we spent the rest of the time talking about my background and asking questions: all pretty standard.

I thought everything was going pretty well and seemed to be getting positive responses from the interviewers. After a week of no communication, I got an email saying I was no longer being considered for the position. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised and a bit angry for being strung along for a month, then a week of no communication, and then a rejection email out of no where with no explanation. Companies need to change the way the recruiting process works. It's needlessly cryptic and drawn out. Hulu definitely isn't the only culprit, but the change needs to start some where. It doesn't hurt to be more open to potential candidates, and it helps the industry as a whole.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted the resume on career fair. Get a coding challenge that is to implement a Hangman AI program within 6-hour limit. I implemented it with C++. The program worked and the accuracy rate is pretty good. I felt not bad, but got declined. I guess the reason is that I didn't write enough documentation. Also, although they said you can use any language, I felt they want you to use Python, which is indeed more appropriate in this case.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hulu (San Diego, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Met with a recruiter at a job fair. A few days later I was sent a E-mail to complete the coding challenge. We were given 6 hours to code up a single API--but it was very difficult for me. Though wow, they were really fun with the problem statement. Just reading it made me think that the company might be a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• Coding up an API. I don't think I'm allowed to give many more details than that.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu in December 2015.

Interview

First step was a coding challenge involving hangman. If you pass the challenge, a recruiter contacts you to set up a phone interview, which is the second (last) round. This is a 1-hr technical phone interview, and you get paired with an engineer from one of the fields you prefer to work in.