Hulu Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hulu Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Nov 11, 2016

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (San Diego, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted the resume on career fair. Get a coding challenge that is to implement a Hangman AI program within 6-hour limit. I implemented it with C++. The program worked and the accuracy rate is pretty good. I felt not bad, but got declined. I guess the reason is that I didn't write enough documentation. Also, although they said you can use any language, I felt they want you to use Python, which is indeed more appropriate in this case.

Other Interview Reviews for Hulu

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hulu (San Diego, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Met with a recruiter at a job fair. A few days later I was sent a E-mail to complete the coding challenge. We were given 6 hours to code up a single API--but it was very difficult for me. Though wow, they were really fun with the problem statement. Just reading it made me think that the company might be a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• Coding up an API. I don't think I'm allowed to give many more details than that.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu in December 2015.

Interview

First step was a coding challenge involving hangman. If you pass the challenge, a recruiter contacts you to set up a phone interview, which is the second (last) round. This is a 1-hr technical phone interview, and you get paired with an engineer from one of the fields you prefer to work in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

There was an online coding round in which I had to generate org hirerarchy. The data was coming from a file, with each employee having information about his boss, and CEO will have NULL as his boss.

This was followed by a phone interview. There was an XML file, from which you will have to create a tree structure. I took quite a lot of time in this question, but was not able to solve it fully. Next I was asked to design an LRU cache, which I did it. Got an onsite call next day.

I flew to LA and stayed at one of the ocean facing hotel. The level of difficulty was at onsite interviews was pretty hard and questions were quite unexpected. First question was to based on finding out the number of ways of doing something. In next round I was asked to build a snake and ladder game and write test cases for it. Third round was to write a crawler program which removes race condition. Last round was a design question where I had to design a system which interacts with external systems.

I did not get the job offer because I was not doing well. I was requiring a lot of help from interviewers in some of the questions. Basically, before they ask you, tell them that you are going to handle such and such corner cases. They are not interested in writing codes, but they are more interested in how many different approaches you can take, and how many different corner cases you can handle. So, dont wast your precious 1 hour in writing any code, unless they ask you to. Write a function signature at the max and move on to writing the cases that you will handle. I did waste a lot of time in writing loops and i, j, k etc. and did not think about different cases where my program will fail and how I will optimize my approach.

Interview Questions

• XML to tree, LRU cache, permutations, snake and ladder game, handle race conditions and designing a whole system.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I was approached by recruiter from LinkedIn. I have a phone screening interview after initial contact and about a week later I was invited for on-site interview. It was about 5 hours.
    I have to say it was very pleasant experience especially with the recruiter.
    She was very personal, friendly and professional. All people I met there were passionate about working for Hulu which makes me to want to work there too.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hulu in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online. After I did an online assessment, HR contacted me for scheduling a one hour phone interview. The interviewer asked about my technical background and let me do a coding problem. The problem is common, to convert a xml file into a tree. I was rejected two days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Convert a xml file into a tree, assuming the file has been parsed and you have the iterator to get next node.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hulu (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

It is a phone interview. I finished online challenge before, which is not hard. The phone interview took around 1 hr. The interviewer asked my internship and projects first. Then he give send me a link to code. He is not very helpful and just wait there for your answer. I spent too much time on first question but solved it in the end. For second question I just tell him which kind of data structure I'm gonna use. Got onsite invitation later.

Interview Questions

• Online chanllenge: print organization graph based on given relationship
      Phone: Build a XML tree from a tokenizer(iterator). design a LRU cache. merge two linked list.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hulu (Santa Monica, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Step 1: contacted a recruiter (who was super nice and polite to me the entire time)
    Step 2: completed the coding challenge
    Step 3: had a phone screen with an engineer
    Step 4: interviewed onsite ( four 1hr interviews + lunch = around 5hrs at their office in santa monica)

The recruiters are very quick in scheduling, replying and giving feedback. That makes everything much easier. I probably had to wait just a couple of hours after submitting the coding test and the phone screen to know about respective next steps, and about a day after the onsite to get the final decision.

I want to add that though this was like any other tech interview i'd appeared for, in the end the recruiter was actually kind enough to give me some constructive feedback - the first time any company had ever done that. I've since then made an effort to work on all those points, and have done much better at interviews and gotten some great offers as well! So, even though I didnt get the Hulu job, a big thanks to them for giving me the experience and feedback!

Interview Questions

• all standard algorithm questions on graph traversal, linked lists, arrays, stacks, some dynamic programming - but in never-seen-before formats. apply yourself!!   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

They email me a coding challenge and I have 8 hours to complete it. After a week I got reply that they gave me a phone interview. The interviewer asked some questions about hash table and other data structures. The question was not too hard, but I was not doing well.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hulu in October 2014.

Interview

Hulu's HR is great and has super fast response time. Applied at university and got an email within a few days. First round was a timed online coding problem which was a breeze for me.

Second round is to write code on the web using something like Google Docs during phone interview. The questions were quite hard, but manageable. The interviewer didn't care about what I was saying, and he walked away from the phone many times during the interview when I was coding and had to ask him for clarifications. When I got a chance to ask him questions, he told me "I don't know" to everything - even his opinions on working at the position. I did not even get a "thank you" before he hang up.

However, HR followed up promptly and politely with me every time.

Interview Questions

• Implement LRU Cache (hint: any method other than their desired answer is wrong)   Answer Question