Human Rights Campaign Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

2.9

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Online Strategy Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Human Rights Campaign (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process first involved a phone screening followed by an in-person interview. The in-person interview lasted over two hours with four different people. While two hour interviews are never fun, this one flew by in the best way. The staff was extremely nice and I was looking forward to working with them. I could've spoke with them for hours - about the mission, about progressive policy, etc. I was told to complete a writing assignment and was given a little less than a week to complete it and had fun with it. We were given some creative freedom while staying within HRC's voice. I submitted the writing assignment on the due date and was never contacted again. I never received a confirmation email that it was received, which was deeply disappointing considering I thought we were a good fit for each other; not to mention all the effort that went into it.

Pride Fulfillment Temp Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Human Rights Campaign (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview process was simple and very easy. The entire process took under a week from the time I interviewed until the time I was offered a position, which was an employee referral. I interviewed in front of three people who would be my supervisors, the interview questions were extremely basic which would be a representation of the job.

Interview Questions

• -Can you lift 40 lbs?
      -How do you stay motivated?
      -What drives you?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Human Rights Campaign (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted about a month later in an initial phone screen from the hiring manager with no advance warning. After the screen, an in-person interview occurred two weeks later with four people in the department over the course of several hours.

I was brought back a month and a half later for another in-person interview with two different people in the department, and also took a skills test. A month after that, I received a phone call from human resources saying that they were going to look for other candidates.

Two months after that, the hiring manager called me again and asked if I was still interested in the position. I went in several days later for another in-person interview, this time with three people from the department. At the end of the interview process, they offered me the position and expected me to accept immediately without negotiating or asking HR questions, and only offered me 24 hours to make a decision after I requested additional time.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working for the HRC?
      Why do you want to leave your current job?
      What do you see as the biggest impediment for us hiring you, and for you joining us?
      What is the strongest ability that you would bring to this job, and what would be your greatest area of weakness?
      Tell me about a time that you had a difficult experience working with someone, and how it was resolved.
      What did your most recent employee review say about you?   Answer Question

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Human Rights Campaign (Washington, DC) in January 2014.

Interview

Attended an interview with the current coordinator, and then with the main bosses. from then I was brought in an another two times to meet with other members of the department and finally with the human resources team. It took about 3.5 weeks and I started 2 weeks after I was hired.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for HRC and what do you think the next big issue is for the organization?   Answer Question

Direct Response Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Human Rights Campaign (Washington, DC) in August 2013.

Interview

The application and interview process seemed disorganized. Right out of the gate, while the company has its applicants send their initial application online, upon being invited for an interview, applicants are asked to complete and submit a paper application that covers the same information as the online application, which seemed like a waste of time. After all, if the online application system works as expected, there should be no reason to do the application twice.

The interview itself was two stages, and it lasted an hour. The first stage was with a person from human resources, who asked more generalized personality and experience-related questions. The second stage was with the hiring manager for the position and a person who would work closely with the position being hired. A number of questions overlapped between HR and the hiring manager. At the end of the interview, the hiring manager indicated that they would be in contact before a certain date.

After waiting out the period that the hiring manager had specified, I called the HR person back. No response. When I called the hiring manager, I was told that they needed another week. After that week, calls to both the HR person and the hiring manager went unanswered, and messages left were not returned. Following another week, I received a response from the automated application system that indicated that I was no longer being considered for the position.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, I don't remember. The thing that stood out most in this process was the disorganization of the whole thing.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Human Rights Campaign (Washington, DC) in March 2012.

Interview

I was emailed about a phone interview to take place a week later. It was just a simple phone interview with a very nice interviewer. She just wanted to see why I was interested in the organization and to make sure that I understood the nature of the position. It took no more than 15 minutes.

I would advise candidates to have a clear explanation for why they're interested in the position and to be flexible with what the nature of the internship will be.

Interview Questions

I received another offer that I was more interested in.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Human Rights Campaign (Washington, DC) in October 2011.

Interview

After not responding to an application for another (lower) position, I received a call to interview for the position of Manager. The atmosphere was pleasant and interviewers amicable. The questions were versions of the standards but tweaked to convey the requisite passion involved in working for a civil rights organization. Be professional but affable.

Interview Questions

• What was the most recent situation in which you had to explain complex concepts to people?   Answer Question

Workplace Equality Project Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Human Rights Campaign (Washington, DC) in March 2011.

Interview

For the first interview, HRC scheduled me for shorter 1 hour interviews with people from several departments. Three of the interviews were with individuals and one was with a group of three people. For the next round I met with two people. One was a vice president and the other was an external consultant.