Huron Consulting Group Interview Questions in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 2, 2017

2.9

110 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The process starts off with a brief phone screen with an HR representative. Following this phone screen, you have to take an excel quiz (fairly basic, might be a question on vlookup) and sign up for your first interview. My first interview was a 30-minute behavioral interview with a manager. She asked questions like "Why Huron?" and "Why Consulting" in addition to questions about working in groups and overcoming challenges. After this interview, I was notified within a week that I made it to the next round: a case interview. This interview was with a director. It was more conversational than traditional case interviews and had a math portion that you were given five minutes to complete. If you have some familiarity with case approaches you'll be fine but no need to box yourself in. Following that interview, I was offered a final round interview in the Chicago office. This interview started with a panel lunch with analysts. It was simply an opportunity for the interviewees to get a better understanding of the company and the analyst role. Following lunch, there were two 45 minute behavioral interviews. These seemed to be aimed at addressing culture fit and had a few questions talking about Huron's values. Both of these interviews were with managers/directors. Following this round, I heard back the next business day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• You have two projects that take two hours each and only 3 hours to complete them. What do you do?
      Why Huron? Why consulting? Do you think you can handle the travel? Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Consulting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

The interview process was 5 stages. 1. Phone screen, 2. Excel assessment test, 3. 45 minute phone interview, 4. Case interview, 5. Final round office visit

The interview process was rigorous but pleasant. Everyone I interacted with at Huron was very friendly and genuinely interested in getting to know me. The phone interviews were standard behavioral interviews but felt much more conversational than others I have undergone. The case study is both qualitative and quantitative but if you are familiar with general case interview approaches then you will be fine. Final round was an office visit with a couple of interviews with managers and consultants.

Interview Questions

• I was asked many of the questions that previous reviews listed. Why Huron? Why consulting? Why this practice? then on to standard behavioral interview questions to gage your experience, fit, and working style. Find a way to turn the interview into a conversation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in October 2017.

Interview

Started with a brief informational phone interview, then a phone interview with behavioral questions, video case interview, and then a final round interview at their office in Chicago. Questions were fairly typical for consulting, "Why consulting?", "Why Huron?", etc. Make sure you know about the company and why you chose this company over other consulting firms! Final round in Chicago included a panel with current employees and two 45-minute behavioral interviews with senior employees. Interviews are on Friday and I heard back by Monday. I had a very positive experience with my recruiter during the entire process, she was very prompt with her responses and I always heard back in a timely manner.

Interview Questions

• Why Huron? Why Consulting? You have 3 hours to perform two tasks that each take 2 hours. What do you do?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied for an analyst role my senior year of college. The interview process was pretty straight forward.

Round 1 was an on site campus interview that had a mix of behavioral/math/and case questions. The behavioral was relatively easy and straightforward as was the math question (they really just want to see how you think). The case question was also relatively simple. It is not like a typical case question instead they just want to see what you would look into to solve a problem a hospital is experiencing.

Round 2 - onsite interview in Chicago office. If you make it to this round, they are definitely interested. This is more to see if you will be a good fit for the company. no more case questions just behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Why Huron? Why this role?
      What would you look into if a hospital was having difficulties with its call wait time?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

I was very excited to apply to Huron after first hearing great things about this company from an employee and did so via employee referral. I was contacted nearly 5 months later by a campus recruiting associate.
    This recruiter initially mistook me for someone else she had spoken with beforehand as she mentioned how great it was to reconnect. However, this was my first contact with an individual from the company outside of the automated message I received when my application was processed right after being referred.
    Not a good look right out of the gate.

After I replied to this email of initial contact, I did not hear back from this recruiter until I followed up with an additional email nearly a week later. Even then, it took another three days for her to respond.
    Finally, we were able to set up a phone call. During this very short fifteen-minute phone call, the recruiter stumbled over her questioning and seemed very uninterested in talking to me. At the end of the call, however, I was offered two dates to come interview at headquarters in Chicago.
    A few days later, I was contacted to provide answers to a few administrative questions as well as to provide my undergraduate transcripts.

Nearly a week after this step, I received an email template where my name was clearly just filled in at the top seeing as the font differed. This email addressed the fact that I would not be interviewing anytime soon despite being offered two dates to come up not long before. I was notified by the recruiter that they are on a hold with additional Analyst hiring but that I would be contacted in the future should they have needs arise.

I am very disappointed with Huron's recruiting process thanks to my extremely unenthusiastic recruiter and am not so sure this is a company I have any interest left in applying to should I hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• How much are you willing to travel?   1 Answer

Travel & Expense Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online to their Chicago office, about a week later someone from HR contacted to schedule an initial phone interview. The engagement was very "cold" and felt like Huron's corporate culture may be similar. Prior to the interview, I reached out to someone at Huron to try connect and maybe get a feel for the company. Sadly I had no takers, which again raised red flags to the type of corporate culture one may find at Huron. You want a collaborative, friendly environment and when no one in the company is willing to engage or talk about how great the company is, that's a warning.

Huron categorizes itself as a Business Services organization, however, based on my conversations with them they don't really qualify for that sector. They have the feel of a very operational firm, still in its infancy, trying to grow into a business services organization. However, at their core, they appeared to be just an implementation firm helping companies do the actual software configurations and physical implementations. There was zero attention or focus on any type of strategy, customer engagement, customer experience, or anything you would get from the more advanced firms.

Huron is still trying to figure this department out. It has been moved around a few times and I wasn't convinced yet they really understand their market, their customer, or how to approach either. It is also one of their smaller departments with only 25 consultants nationwide. The role I was interviewing for was a managers role, however, their description of the role during the interview again felt extremely junior. They advertise personal growth and learning as part of their core values, but unless you are a new graduate with zero work experience I didn't really make the connection between their organizational talent pool and opportunities to learn and grow. I didn't have the impression they are looking to hire clever staff. It was more of a focus on hard skills and very operational.

Interview questions weren't really standard, in my opinion. They were fairly old fashioned. One question was, "walk me through your career timeline." This is a question people asked in the 80's. The modern take on this is, "tell me about yourself." So again, their line of questioning seemed very "junior" and evolving. The way an employer engages with you is a clear indication of what kind of organization you will be entering. If their interview questions are reminiscent of last century, then the way they engage with clients is probably not far off. So if you are fresh out of school with a technical degree, Huron would probably be a great stepping stone into the professional world. If you have more than 3 years of experience, Huron probably isn't the place for you.

During the interview, I think the interviewer forgot that the interviewing process is a two-way street. I was just as interested in interviewing Huron as they were interviewing me. So when I asked questions, I’m not sure the interviewer realized I was “sizing” them up. It was really an old fashion approach of here is a question, now give me your rehearsed answer. There was no form of real conversation going on. Huron was very good about getting back to me in a timely manner. Within a week I knew their intent for my application, this was very positive. However the second I hung up the phone, I wanted to withdraw my application.

In the end, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and instead sent a follow-up email trying to reshape the conversation into something more "managerial." However, I didn't have the impression it was well received. Again, an organization who is not flexible, innovative or approaches problem-solving creatively is a tell-tell sign on how they operate and how they will engage with you and their customers. Based on my conversation I can only imagine the type conversations they are having with their customer base.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your career. Why Huron? Why Travel & Expense? Have you written the auditing and tax site configuration policies for XYZ technology? Have you programmed and configured yourself, hands-on, for XYZ technology?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

Interview

I applied through the career center on campus. The first interview was an on campus interview. First half was behavior and the second half was a case interview (order can be switched too). The interview was primarily interviewer led and fit a basic case format.

On site had an informal meeting with three entry-level consultants followed by two fit interviews.

Interview Questions

• If you were going to start your own company what would be five values you'd want the company to have?   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Telephone interview with HR. She provided a very vague description of the job. Very direct no soft skills.
    Telephone interview with the hiring manager.
    In person interview with 6 people. One of the female interviewers was 20 minutes late for the interview. She was dressed in sneakers yet they felt the need to remind me to dress in business attire; they should pass the same to their management staff. Hiring manager did not know how to conduct the test he created. Myself and the smartest and most attentive interviewer walked him through how he should have conducted the test.
    The environment didn't appear diverse. Nepotism exist - the hiring manager and another interviewer were both hired by the CIO.
    The use out date technology.

Training Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Typical interview process, screening phone interview, in person one to one, then third interview with 3 different individuals. Hard process, but to be expected. They were wonderful in the process and gave me updates when they had them. Were always professional and they notified me with a phone call that I was the runner-up for the position, along with feedback of why. Extremely helpful and respectable in the way they did things. The way this team functioned as I candidated, I will be checking back for other open positions.

Interview Questions

• Many questions regarding very specific difficult situations one has been through professionally, also questions on specific experiences you have with each of their core values.   Answer Question

Higher Education, Manager - Travel & Expense Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

Unnecessarily prolonged. Entire process took more than 4 months to conclude - with a three week period in December with absolutely no contact from the hiring manager. Very haphazard in the way phone meetings were scheduled. Staff/peers always seemed unprepared/disorganized for phone interviews and at least two appointments were missed totally. Eventually flown to corporate HQ to meet team and while they seem engaged, was left with the feeling that it was a department in transition. With respect to the turnover, was led through the building and observed lots of open spaces/potentially unfilled positions.

Interview Questions

• Generic consulting questions and nothing that required much preparation.   Answer Question