Huron Consulting Group Product Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Huron Consulting Group Product Specialist Interview Questions

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group in October 2014.

Interview

I submitted my resume through the posting on my college's recruiting site. One week later, I was notified I was selected for an interview on my college campus for the next week (2 weeks after my initial application). The night before the interview was an informal meet-and-greet to ask questions of the recruiters (about 4 came into town). The next day I had about a 40-minute interview that was mostly based on my personality and experience.
The night of the interview, I received an email inviting me back for the second round of on-campus interviews the next day. This was a 2-hour process with 4 steps:
1) write a SQL command given certain criteria
2) compute a ratio given certain accounting data
3) interview about my technical skills with a manager
4) interview about my personality and problem solving skills

Interview Questions

• When was a time you coordinated the efforts of a group to accomplish a complex task   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Huron Consulting Group

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Oswego, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Lake Oswego, OR).

Interview

I had 3 interviews. 2 on the phone then 1 in person. The phone interviews were about technical knowledge and personality traits (i.e. What would you do in this situation?). Then I interviewed at their office in Lake Oswego. There were four interviews that day with 4 different people.

Product Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group.

Interview

The interview process with Huron was fairly long. I was reached by one of their recruiters early December 2013 to see if I was interested in the position. Basic stuff here really, are you familiar with SQL, would be willing to relocate, etc. I then got a second call to set up a more in depth phone interview. This included 2 parts, a behavioral interview and a technical interview.

The behavioral interview had questions like, name me a moment where you went above and beyond for your employer, what is a weakness of yours, tell me a bit about yourself.

The technical interview was focused more on my knowledge of IT systems. Can you describe to me what a LAN is, describe to me 1st, 2nd, 3rd normal form, name me some SQL statements.

After that if they are still interested they will set up on on-site interview. This interview consists of 4 parts - A case question, a company overview, lunch "interview", and closing interview.

The case question I got was about an ER room and it's efficiency, how to come up with a solution, what to look for, etc. They also will give you a pretty basic math problem to do.

Company overview was basically just a description of the different units in the company, where your role will be, how they function, etc. Expect a brain teaser and an SQL question here (a basic one, like a join query or something)

Lunch interview is an opportunity for you to meet 2 employees and ask them any questions about the company, it wasn't them asking the questions, it is you, so take this opportunity to learn as much as possible.

Closing interview is where I was asked to kind of go through my resume, tell him why I think I'm a good fit, what makes me interested in the position, how comfortable am I with what I've learned today etc.

Really the on-site interview is them looking for a good cultural fit.

The entire process took about a month.

Interview Questions

• What is a RAID and why is it useful.   2 Answers

Got a better job offer somewhere else closer to where I Want to be, this one is a close runner up though. Great company overall you will be happy with the offer!

Product Specialist Interview

Interview

Two initial phone interviews to review and confirm resume, followed by 2 onsite interviews. First onsite was 3 part: Technical, Case, and Behavioral. Fairly difficult, but nothing out of the ordinary. Second onsite was to meet with various members of the teams you will be working with to see if you're a good "fit".

Interview Questions

• Detail a time that you had to take on expected roles in you previous position, and quantify in dollars or time, how much this saved the company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Interview

Being an out of state applicant, the interview processes was fairly long. It took me about a month to get through 3 phone interviews and then they flew me out for the final interview. The first 3 interviews were basic interview hr and tech questions about your past experience in the tech industry and dealing with customer support. The last onsite interview was broken down into 4 sections. First, was the Case Interview. Here I was given a problem and asked how I would solve it. The problem was that the ER of a hospital was having issues with their customers having to wait to long before being seen. The second interview was the Project Tools Overview. This interview was a basic description of the teams and software used at Huron. During this interview I was asked to create an easy join query and solve a brain teaser question. The third interview was a lunch interview. The last interview is with the Director of Product Implementation to find out if I would be a good fit within the company.

Interview Questions

• Brainteaser: there are two rooms, in one room you have four switches and in the other room you have four light bulbs. How do you figure out which light bulb is connected to which switch.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake Oswego, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Lake Oswego, OR) in October 2012.

Interview

Huron is a very pleasant company. I interviewed in the Lake Oswego branch. I had one interview in the morning on basic business tools with one thought question. Then I was taken out to lunch with two employees that I would potentially work with who were also in product specialist roles. My last interview was with senior management. Overall, the interviews were very understandable and they showed a genuine desire to understand my interests and abilities. The company has a work hard play hard culture.

Interview Questions

• You have two buckets: a 3 gallon and a 5 gallon. How would you get 4 gallons?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Huron Consulting Group (Portland, OR) in June 2012.

Interview

The interview takes at least 6 hours over two days. In the process one gets the distinct impression that if you are interviewing for a lower position in the company and have the audacity to be over 40 you are pretty much wasting your time.

Interview Questions

• You have a 3 gallon bucket and a 5 gallon bucket as your only tools and you need exactly 4 gallons how would you go about getting the 4 gallons?   6 Answers

Application

Interview

A month long interview process with roughly 8 hours of questioning. It's astounding how poorly they execute these. Who decided that it would be a great idea to have 2, 3 hr interviews in-order to find the ideal candidate? If this was the Pentagon, or heck - Google I understand.. but for a firm that isn't even ranked on the top 50 companies to work for? Really?

Also the recruiter has an attitude problem. She definitely gave me an odd holier than thou attitude when I approached her for questions/concerns. She is supposed to channel the exuberance of company about a candidate; not give vague answers that instill uncertainty in both.

So imagine then, if you will a company that considers a month long process the de facto standard for their hiring process for this role. Then imagine if you were indeed hired, how long would it take to get your message across to upper management and how soon it would be heard. Seems to exhibit a constant up hill struggle in places there shouldn't be.