Hydro One Interview Questions in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Hydro One Interview Questions in Toronto, ON

Updated Jul 12, 2017

57 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Relay and Meter Services - Engineering/Computer Science Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hydro One (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

It was a 1 hour long interview. There were 2 interviewers, who explained the details of the internship, including the work hours and salary. They asked me several behavioural based questions as well as questions about technical projects/experiments. The overall environment was pleasant. I received a response from the company with the internship offer within a few days.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company?
      Why did you choose Hydro One?
      What are your objectives?
      Challenges faced by the company?
      Do you know anything about the position?
      Leadership experience?
      Have you had any previous work experience?
      Describe your skills and attitude?
      How will you describe yourself as a student?
      Any accomplishment you are proud of?
      Any challenges you faced? How you overcame it?   Answer Question

Asset Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hydro One (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Questions covered behavior, engineering, business and interpersonal skills. There were two interviewers and the interview took about an hour. The conversation is pleasant and they asked about 4 pages of questions.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hydro One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

I applied through school and got an interview at their office, with the immediate supervisor. The interview was quite informal, and I got asked questions ranging from standard to fun. I was asked extensively about the job role, as well about the company.

Interview Questions

• Why HydroOne? What can you bring that is different to the team?   Answer Question

Area Distribution Engineering Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hydro One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2016.

Interview

Behavioral

1. Why do you think you are a good fit for the position?

2. What are your weaknesses?

Technical questions:

1. What is a Transformer? What it is used for? Different types of transformer?
    2. Describe line losses?
    3. Power factor?
    4. Voltage regulation?
    5. What would happen if less than rated voltage was applied to a machine?
    6. How are capacitors and inductors used in transmission?

Business type questions

What are some considerations when investing in equipment, how would you present it to the managers?

Situational

What qualities should a manager have?

Interview Questions

• describe yourself; what is power factor; strengths and weaknesses ;   Answer Question

Asset Management - Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hydro One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online through university career site and hydro one site. Got an interview request about 2 weeks after initial application through university career services. They called me in for an in-person interview at the downtown Hydro One office. I was interviewed by two engineers. Interview was divided into 5 sections: Behavioral, Technical (most questions), Situational, Improvisation and Business Type questions, chronologically. The interview lasted an hour and the interviewers were really nice. Interview was at the end of the week. Got an offer the next week.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral
      1. Why do you think you are a good fit for the position? What can you offer us and what attracted you to apply to this position?
      2. What is your weakness?

Most technical questions were from basic power systems theory.

1. What is a Transformer? What it is used for? Different types of transformer?
      2. Describe line losses?
      3. Power factor?
      4. Voltage regulation?
      5. What would happen if less than rated voltage was applied to a machine?
      6. How are capacitors and inductors used in transmission?
      7. Why are transmission lines aluminum instead of copper?
      8. Overhead vs Underground?

Business type questions

1. What some considerations when investing in equipment, how would you present it to the managers?

Situational
      1. If you were offered a promotion, but you are not qualified, would you take it?
      2. What qualities should a manager have?

For improvisation question, they asked me to sell them a freezer considering a situation where they were living in the Arctic.   Answer Question

Protection Control and Metering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hydro One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview was fairly behavioural with very little technical questions. On our way to the interviewing room, the interviewer made me really comfortable with a little chat aside the topic which really helped. As we walked in the room, there was another lady already present. Then we proceeded with the interview and as i said it was mainly behavioural like, what do you know about H1, your achievement.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your biggest achievement?   1 Answer

Control Room Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Barrie, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hydro One (Barrie, ON (Canada)) in February 2016.

Interview

I was first greeted and shown around the office that the interview was to take place in, after which I was left to wait for about 15 to 20 minutes for the interview prior to mine to finish. The first section of the interview was behavioral and included questions about leadership and experiences/ accomplishments. The second half of the interview was technical based with questions regarding transformer stations.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time that you felt you went above and beyond the call of duty at work.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hydro One (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Basic technical questions. I applied through my university program and a got a call back a few weeks to a month or so later. My interview was mid week and i heard back with an offer end of week. i accepted. the interview conducted by department managers and involved mainly basic power system theory.

Interview Questions

• basic technical relating to power system analysis/theory   Answer Question

Negotiation

i received an offer a few days after the interview and accepted.

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Hydro One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2015.

Interview

basic behavioral and situational based question give an example where you dealt with team conflict talk about your projects and how you managed time. talk about your past work experience and how manged there your resources and how much of a people person are you

Interview Questions

• what you know about hydro one what are some of your strong points how you manage time and where do you see your self in 5 years from now   1 Answer

Protection and Control Co-op Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hydro One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied through hydro one career website and got an email about an interview, since i am not living at the head office, they just set up a phone interview with me. The interview took about one hour long. I waited for a week, then i got a phone call from school career center and was told i got the offer and also was told about the duration of the co-op and the salary. I accepted the second day and started working in September.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a conflict with your team lead, how did you deal with it?
      Have you taken any power classes at school?
      what do you know about power system?
      Have you worked on any project, what is it?   1 Answer