Hypertherm Interview Questions in Hanover, NH | Glassdoor

4.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all Interviews

Machine Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hypertherm (Hanover, NH) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview process is very disappointing. As an applicant you are made fully aware that your skills and experience mean absolutely nothing to the company. You must attend their "career fair" which consists of being herded into a room with several other applicants, you will all then listen to a half hour sales pitch about how great Hypertherm is. After the presentation you will all be moved to another room to take a ten minute math test, the problems are very basic. Once the math test times out, you will get a quick demonstration of a couple machines making parts. The group will then be sent to a waiting room to wait for the next available interviewer. The one on one interview is allowed to last a maximum of ten minutes...

If you are selected from the first group, you will be asked to return for phase two. Phase two also instills the idea that all applicants are simply warm bodies to stand at machines all day, no skills required. After sitting in a room with several other applicants for a time, you will again all be herded into a room. This time, instead of a presentation, you will all be seated at a computer that walks you through a very long assessment. It is quite obvious that this assessment is looking to find the most supple minds to form into production minions. As people finish their assessments they are sent one by one into a waiting room to await another personal interview. This time instead of a one on one interview you will be interrogated by two people who read off a list of questions about your life, and then make notes of your answers before passing the torch between each other as quickly as possible. You will be reminded at this interview that you are being hired for the "operator" position, and you should not be confident in your ability to advance in the company (I believe this is where the process went south for me..).

I can not tell you what happens in phase three, as I received an email a few days later explaining that there was other applicants with more preferred skills and experience. I'm curious how many other applicants had more than six years experience programming, setting up, and running both CNC lathes and mills.

I'm slightly bitter about not being selected for phase three, however it really makes no difference as I had already accepted another offer two days before I was emailed the rejection. I would just like to advise anyone considering this position that you will all be treated equal, whether you don't know what CNC stands for or if you have spent your whole adult life working as a machinist.

Interview Questions

• If we hired you today as an operator, would you accept it knowing that that's all you will be doing?   2 Answers

Hypertherm Response

Oct 4, 2015 – Sr. Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your interest in Hypertherm and for your candid review of our Machine Operator selection process. We understand your disappointment in not being selected to attend the final round ... More