Hypertherm Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 22, 2017

3.1

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hypertherm (Hanover, NH).

Interview

Team approach, through a gauntlet of interviewers where each one is exploring a different area, i.e., culture fit, practical thinking, personality...
    Interestingly enough even though they state they are looking for folks that have been successful in their role, once in they will impose their process and approach, and all past experience is not valued and out the window.

Interview Questions

• Most of the interview questions are predefined and given to the interviewer.
      "Give an example of when something did not go well for you, what did you do, how did you handle it?"
      Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hypertherm.

Interview

Had two phone interviews, then two interviews with management. Questions were fairly straightforward, although not necessarily on topic. Felt completely prepared for everything that they asked. Also was allowed a tour of the company to get a better picture of what I'd be working on.

Interview Questions

• Tell us how you would approach a difficult programming problem?   Answer Question

Machine Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hypertherm (Hanover, NH) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview process is very disappointing. As an applicant you are made fully aware that your skills and experience mean absolutely nothing to the company. You must attend their "career fair" which consists of being herded into a room with several other applicants, you will all then listen to a half hour sales pitch about how great Hypertherm is. After the presentation you will all be moved to another room to take a ten minute math test, the problems are very basic. Once the math test times out, you will get a quick demonstration of a couple machines making parts. The group will then be sent to a waiting room to wait for the next available interviewer. The one on one interview is allowed to last a maximum of ten minutes...

If you are selected from the first group, you will be asked to return for phase two. Phase two also instills the idea that all applicants are simply warm bodies to stand at machines all day, no skills required. After sitting in a room with several other applicants for a time, you will again all be herded into a room. This time, instead of a presentation, you will all be seated at a computer that walks you through a very long assessment. It is quite obvious that this assessment is looking to find the most supple minds to form into production minions. As people finish their assessments they are sent one by one into a waiting room to await another personal interview. This time instead of a one on one interview you will be interrogated by two people who read off a list of questions about your life, and then make notes of your answers before passing the torch between each other as quickly as possible. You will be reminded at this interview that you are being hired for the "operator" position, and you should not be confident in your ability to advance in the company (I believe this is where the process went south for me..).

I can not tell you what happens in phase three, as I received an email a few days later explaining that there was other applicants with more preferred skills and experience. I'm curious how many other applicants had more than six years experience programming, setting up, and running both CNC lathes and mills.

I'm slightly bitter about not being selected for phase three, however it really makes no difference as I had already accepted another offer two days before I was emailed the rejection. I would just like to advise anyone considering this position that you will all be treated equal, whether you don't know what CNC stands for or if you have spent your whole adult life working as a machinist.

Interview Questions

• If we hired you today as an operator, would you accept it knowing that that's all you will be doing?   2 Answers

Hypertherm Response

Oct 4, 2015 – Sr. Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your interest in Hypertherm and for your candid review of our Machine Operator selection process. We understand your disappointment in not being selected to attend the final round ... More

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lebanon, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hypertherm (Lebanon, NH) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was:
    1. Call from the recruiter to discuss my current role, and what I was looking for in a new role. She described the benefits of working at the company (45 minutes)
    2. An interview with the potential manager. (90 minutes)
    3. A second interview the same manager, the marketing manager, and then a manager parallel to the potential manager (individually, 3 hours)

Interview Questions

• The theme among all interviewers was how I would handle working in groups and how I would deal with other potentially not agreeing with or liking my contributions.   Answer Question

Machine Operator I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hanover, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hypertherm (Hanover, NH) in July 2014.

Interview

it was a three part process, the first day was pretty much to eliminate any obvious bad candidates. The also tried to scare us with the difficulty of the process (i.e most wont make it, very hard, must learn algebra) they gave us each a short interview with two people. Then we went home and awaited a return call for part 2

Interview Questions

• "give us an example of someone being unsafe at a job that you have worked at"   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Hypertherm.

Interview

submit the resume at Career fair, contact by the recruiter through email for setting up a phone interview with two managers

ELearning Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hypertherm in December 2013.

Interview

Started with two phone calls with a recruiter, then an invitation to an in-person interview. I met with the recruiter and four of the team associates I'd work with if hired - each individually, and all over a four hour period. Questions focused around competencies and core values of the company, as well as probing me for my own experience and team fit. Each person was designated to investigate different aspects of my application: skill, potential, team fit, etc...

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to deal with a tough situation with a customer.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hypertherm in September 2013.

Interview

Laid-back approach to interview; friendly and gregarious. Not just approachable, but engaging as well. Quite professional,
    1. I submitted my resume online and received an auto reply message.
    2. Two days later, I received an E-message to set up a phone interview.
    3. Phone interview a week later. The corporate recruiter called at the prescribed time, explained the first interview was "fact-finding" and took the time to listen, take notes, and present the company.
    4. I received a notice of 'not a great fit' one week later. Recruiter thanked me for my time, etc.
    The turn-around process is quick, but respectful at all times.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions: What do you know about our company? Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question
    • The second or third interview question: How much do you want to make? The company does not negotiate on salary, so this question seems moot to me.   1 Answer

Engineer Group Leader Interview

Interview

phone, video and on-site interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hypertherm in April 2013.

Interview

The first interview was by phone with HR. It lasted about 10 minutes and was very straightforward. The interviewer surprised me by telling me the salary range up front instead of fishing for my numbers. She also did a great job of describing how this company is different from others, particularly the employee-ownership concept.

Interview #2 was by video with two members of the team I'd be joining. Questions were very specific to the position and my technical skills. The interviewers were friendly and personable. They invited a dialogue about my qualifications and experience instead of the typical set of "tell me about a time when..." questions. They also were really enthusiastic and positive about where the company is headed.

Interview #3 was in person with my future manager. It was relaxed and gave me my first real look at the company. I was impressed with the energy and intelligence I observed. We talked not only about the position, but the culture and where the company is heading. I felt very comfortable with the team and excited about the company. The culture is relaxed, educated, trusting, and supportive.

Interview Questions

• "What do you do in your free time?" This question was difficult because in other interviews, I had the impression that my answer was expected to reflect on my ability to do the job. This time, it seemed that the interviewer was genuinely interested in my response and not fishing for the "right answer."   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer was so awesome, I didn't negotiate.